Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One more new topic by me today and I'll shutup :)

The issue I'm noticing with my rear brake is making me think it's time to invest in some starter tools. I had plenty of tools in my 'previous life' but when I left that house, I didn't take everything with me (let's not discuss this topic!). I mainly had things that allowed me to change the brakes on my car, etc.

I know I need a torque wrench, and given the cost, I'll likely not go out and buy everything I need right away. What should I invest in initially? What torque range? What size drive first? With respect to sockets, do I need to purchase metric or standard for FZ6 routine maintenance (brakes, oil changes, etc)?

I couldn't find a definitive guide to to must-have tools for the FZ6 owner on the forums and I think it would be extremely valuable to many of the new FZ6 owners out there.

Thanks guys!

·
It's made of people!
455 Posts
For just general maintenance work a 3/8 in drive would be fine. It should be all metric. I'm not 100% certain of this. I think only american stuff uses that goofy standard system of mesurement. My picks for basic tools would be these"
1) good quality metric socket set w/ 3/8 in drive.
2) good set of metric box end wrenches.
3) oil filter wrench (you can get a nice one that pops off if you try to tighten too tight)
4) a nice phillips head screwdriver and a flat head screwdriver
5) a bottle opener
6) a crescent wrench

if you have some extra money the 1/4 inch drives sockets and ratchet come in really handy. I think there are some Torx bolts on the Fiz too. check into that.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
The bike is all metric. Start with a set of Allen wrenches, 1/4" or 3/8" sockets, box wrenches and screw drivers and pliers. The highest torque I saw spec'd on the manual is 87 ft.lbs for the swingarm pivot shaft nut and rear axle, and the lowest is 1 ft.lb, so a torque wrench that can handle in between should be fine. Get one that'll fit your sockets.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now that's a torque wrench!

I'm going to bring this thread back from the dead since it's still a related comment, and one that I started last summer.

After I asked this question last year, I didn't buy the torque wrench right away. I didn't really have the need. Well, last week I noticed Sears had their torque wrenches for sale and I knew that I'd be needing one soon now. It's pretty much time for an oil change and I got my new FS6 sliders and want to put those on. I got this one for $53 delivered I think:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=00944594000

What I didn't realize when I ordered it was how big this thing is!! I was sort of shocked when it arrived because this thing looks like something I could take a truck apart with :)

I imagine it'll do the jobs like oil changes, frame sliders, etc but this baby is not for the hard to reach spots, that I can assure you. Is it similar to the ones you guys are using out there?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Something to know

leere said:
I'm going to bring this thread back from the dead since it's still a related comment, and one that I started last summer.

After I asked this question last year, I didn't buy the torque wrench right away. I didn't really have the need. Well, last week I noticed Sears had their torque wrenches for sale and I knew that I'd be needing one soon now. It's pretty much time for an oil change and I got my new FS6 sliders and want to put those on. I got this one for $53 delivered I think:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=00944594000

Thanks!
I have one of these, along with others. You can't have too many torque wrenches. :)

One thing to know about the tool that you just bought: Although it is a craftsman hand tool, it does NOT have a lifetime warranty.

Just thought I'd mention that.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
jrevans said:
I have one of these, along with others. You can't have too many torque wrenches. :)

One thing to know about the tool that you just bought: Although it is a craftsman hand tool, it does NOT have a lifetime warranty.

Just thought I'd mention that.
it has a 90 day warranty

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
My Mastercraft Maximum torque wrenches don't come with lifetime warranties either, which is also the norm for that line of tools, so don't feel bad, it's the norm.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The old school beam style torque wrenches have a lifetime warrenty. They are rated at the same accuracy as the click ones and are significantly cheaper. I have heard some bad reports about the Craftsman click type. My dad had one go bad on him to so its not all internet hearsay.

Until im rebuilding a whole engine ill stick with the beam type. At that point ill spend the $$$ and get some SnapOn or other premium tool. I got both 1/2 and 3/8 drive for under $50 on sale.

Even before I got a bike I got a mechanics tool set. It came with a BUNCH of sockets and wrenches. I think I went a bit overboard but now Im never stuck without the right socket. I probiably could have gotten something smaller and built up and maybe saved some cash. I also got it on sale right after christmas so that is another reason I got a b***** set.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Mechanics+Tools&pid=00933870000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Mechanics+Tool+Sets&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

This is the closest as I could find. Mine also came with some 12pt sockets. I paid $180 on sale.

·
SWIFT M5
117 Posts
gtfazer6 said:
it has a 90 day warranty
I work at Sears and the Torque wrenches are 1 year warranty. Be sure to save your receipts.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Allan said:
The old school beam style torque wrenches have a lifetime warrenty. They are rated at the same accuracy as the click ones and are significantly cheaper. I have heard some bad reports about the Craftsman click type. My dad had one go bad on him to so its not all internet hearsay.

Until im rebuilding a whole engine ill stick with the beam type. At that point ill spend the $$$ and get some SnapOn or other premium tool. I got both 1/2 and 3/8 drive for under $50 on sale.

Even before I got a bike I got a mechanics tool set. It came with a BUNCH of sockets and wrenches. I think I went a bit overboard but now Im never stuck without the right socket. I probiably could have gotten something smaller and built up and maybe saved some cash. I also got it on sale right after christmas so that is another reason I got a b***** set.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Mechanics+Tools&pid=00933870000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Mechanics+Tool+Sets&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

This is the closest as I could find. Mine also came with some 12pt sockets. I paid $180 on sale.
I've got the beam type. For what I use it for and how often I use it, it's perfect. The click-type are GREAT when you're doing a lot of tightening, and can't get in a position to see the dial, but they're EXPENSIVE, and should be calibrated every year or two, depending on how much you use them.

·
Sidehacker Extraordinaire
2,305 Posts
The beam type is inexpensive, but keep in mind they are only accurate for the center of the scale. If the scale goes from 0-100, it's most accurate around 50, probably good from 25-75ish (depends on the model). Outside of that range it's "good enough" for most things, but if it's a critical piece you're tightening that requires a very specific torque and with a small margin of error, I would want a more accurate tool.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
jeepcoma said:
The beam type is inexpensive, but keep in mind they are only accurate for the center of the scale. If the scale goes from 0-100, it's most accurate around 50, probably good from 25-75ish (depends on the model). Outside of that range it's "good enough" for most things, but if it's a critical piece you're tightening that requires a very specific torque and with a small margin of error, I would want a more accurate tool.
I don't think there's anything on this bike that would require anything with THAT high of an accuracy level.

·
Registered
400 Posts
04Fizzer said:
I don't think there's anything on this bike that would require anything with THAT high of an accuracy level.
If I was for some reason going to do an engine rebuild. Id buy a quality click-type. But for all general maintence the beam is fine with me. Im leaning towards having the shop do the valves becaues they only have to be done every 26,000 miles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts