Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm glad i listened to the people on here and took the class, although i have a few mixed opinions of it. Although maybe my mixed opinion comes from the time i spent reading this and that on the forum?

Basically i found day1(classroom) next to worthless for me. It was all rehashed stuff that i've read numerous times on here as well as stuff from the driving test and after trying to stay awake for 4hrs, i passed the test without a single wrong answer.

The other two days were alot better, but being 6'4/260lbs i felt a little too big for the nighthawk 250 they put me on. Mainly because the shifter and rear brake felt like they were in bad spots for my big ass feet. Which made for some fubared braking/downshifting exercises.

Overall learned a decent amount about riding. and got to see a guy almost drop his bike on the final test.(locked up the front brake and didnt correct as fast as he could have).

On the final test i ended up doing well on everything except the last test with the 2nd gear curve where i got dinged heavily for slowing earlier, going a hair too slow, and checking where i was in the corner rather then looking through the corner.(couldnt help it while trying to stay within the cones) and then i didnt get dinged at all on the U-turn box....the test i was actually concerned about. :bitchslap

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some chick dropped her bike 4 times over the weekend at the MSF I was at and she still passed. Godspeed to her.
that wasnt during the final test was it? they told us that if we dropped it on the final test we were sol and failed.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Congratz man. MSF is a great tool for learning how to ride.

Any idea what bike you'll get?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congratz man. MSF is a great tool for learning how to ride.

Any idea what bike you'll get?
I'm really not sure. I like riding, but me buying one may just depend on what i can make my truck do for weekend racing and i happen to like racing vehicles a little bit more then riding a bike.

anyhow, if i do end up buying something it'll probably be something on the slow side. My original motivation was the fast/fun factor, but now that i drive a car all damn day long....i'd just prefer something a little slow thats fun to put around town.

That nighthawk 250 was pretty nice, but it didnt fit my big ass feet all that well.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Congrats on passing the MSF. you would be the first person i have ever heard say that they like racing vehicles more then bikes after taking an MSF. Sometimes people aren't meant for riding or they just don't like it period. You at least took the class, passed and are now deciding what you prefer. Well even if riding hasn't grown on you (yet) or at all just start off slow if you decide to go with a 600cc bike. If you feel like you really want to start off slow then the Ninja 500r/650r would be a good bet along with the SV650.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats on passing the MSF. you would be the first person i have ever heard say that they like racing vehicles more then bikes after taking an MSF. Sometimes people aren't meant for riding or they just don't like it period. You at least took the class, passed and are now deciding what you prefer. Well even if riding hasn't grown on you (yet) or at all just start off slow if you decide to go with a 600cc bike. If you feel like you really want to start off slow then the Ninja 500r/650r would be a good bet along with the SV650.
well i think a part of it is that i found that i had overrated riding. While riding was fun, i felt like it wasnt as fun as i had hoped and that riding might not be as relaxing as i had hoped.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well as far as relaxation i suppose it arguable. I can relax on two wheels but even when i am taking a nice ride around town with minimal traffic it still takes a lot of focus because of the fact that you are not surrounded by a metal cage to protect you. Again sometimes riding isn't for everyone and i am glad to hear that you at least took the class and decided for yourself that maybe riding isn't for you. Most newbies do the opposite. They buy the bike, and then realize they don't like it, and they are then forced to sell and lose a bit of change because they don't want the bike. Or they buy the bike, they don't take an MSF course, they ride and get freaked when they are involved in a near accident or they get into an accident and totally freaks them out. Then they want to sell the bike because they are scared to ride it again.

·
Part 3 begins
3,660 Posts
Some chick dropped her bike 4 times over the weekend at the MSF I was at and she still passed. Godspeed to her.
Pretty bad - kinda undermines the whole MSF thing doesnt it.

Scooter rental FTW

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pretty bad - kinda undermines the whole MSF thing doesnt it.

Scooter rental FTW
speaking of which, one of the test bikes at MSF was a freakin honda rukus :eek:nfloor

I refered to it as the "cheater bike" since you didnt have a clutch and it seemed to be very easy to ride

The lack of relaxation just came from having to do so much extra to do on the controls. The riding was fun as hell, but the blinker seemed out of place to me. Seems like it should be on a roll switch built into the left side grip. JMO

·
Registered
68 Posts
Getting used to the controls comes with more practice; I vaguely recall wondering how the hell I'd manage to coordinate a turn from a stop sign or an emergency swerve w/signal in real life when I took the class...now either of those are damn near mechanical. Well, almost...I think the signal switch should be three-way (left, right, down to cancel), so I would never have to flip back and forth between left and right because I overshot the cancel detent.

With respect to relaxation, I'd compare it to yoga in that you need to stay focused on what you're doing, and it's that focusing on one thing that is, in a way, relaxing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Everything in time will become muscle memory the more mileage and experience a person has when it comes to riding. There have been numerous times that i have honked instead of turning off my signals cause they are close to eachother. A majority of the time is most people don't often pay attention to a bikers signals cause they are so small. So i usually use my Hand signals as I ride. Most people probably don't even realize that hand signals are not only for motorcycles, but for automobiles also.

·
Part 3 begins
3,660 Posts
Most people probably don't even realize that hand signals are not only for motorcycles, but for automobiles also.
Shoot me if i ever use hand signals in a car. :boink

·
Registered
808 Posts
MSF teaches you how to ride. That atmosphere is not ideal for relaxation and fun, with people critiquing everything you do it can be stressful (add to that the bike you get might have terrible ergos for you).

Once you get out on your own I can think of nothing more relaxing or enjoyable than a long ride on my bike. Nothing more exhilirating than twisting the throttle.

Try that before givin up on motorcycles(well, take it easy on twistin the throttle:)).

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MSF teaches you how to ride. That atmosphere is not ideal for relaxation and fun, with people critiquing everything you do it can be stressful (add to that the bike you get might have terrible ergos for you).

Once you get out on your own I can think of nothing more relaxing or enjoyable than a long ride on my bike. Nothing more exhilirating than twisting the throttle.

Try that before givin up on motorcycles(well, take it easy on twistin the throttle:)).
oh i never said i was giving up on them. Its just that right now when i have to pick one, i'd more inclined to go towards the car. I do plan to get one at some point. plus i'd imagine insurance on a 30-40yr old muscle car is alot cheaper then a newish bike

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well congrats on passing the MSF course.. and good luck to you on whatever you decide to do..

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just remember at MSF doing that damn figure 8 thing in the box. You had to stay on the lines but you can't put your foot down and you can't go outside the box. I did it perfectly, but there is no way in hell I could do that on my bike now.

Its slammed as low as it can go, it's pretty heavy. I think if I even tried it I would be scraping the fairings all over the road!! Ha, good times.

·
Registered
808 Posts
oh i never said i was giving up on them. Its just that right now when i have to pick one, i'd more inclined to go towards the car. I do plan to get one at some point. plus i'd imagine insurance on a 30-40yr old muscle car is alot cheaper then a newish bike

Full coverage on my bike is only $40...my truck is $80

1 - 20 of 21 Posts