Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm curious...Is there a weight limit on bikes? To be more specific, newer 600s? My Gsxr600 just got stolen (fucking thieves!!! :pisson ), and I'm in the market for a new bike. I'm 6'0 210lbs, and my girlfriend is 6'0 175. For those who wonder, not fat at all. She's a Division I basketball player so she's strong and in better shape than 95% of you :neener But anyways...Together we weigh an awful lot! Anyone have any experience riding a 600 with around 400 combined pounds? Are there any issues with this? Does the subframe/tail/passenger seat set up for 175lbs?

·
Registered
944 Posts
My fz6 has a wieght capacity of 419...but i never ride it with that kind of wieght,, probably be a Pig in the corners.

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
From what I understand, the FZ6 is the R6 with a more comfy seating position. Mechanically it's exactly the same.
As far as the weight goes...I have seen some PRETTY LARGE guys on these sportbikes. Maybe not quite 400# but not too far off either. I would contact someone that does suspension work. You could get the bike properly adjusted to handle the extra weight, therefore eliminating the "pig in corners" issue.
Of course you could always get your girl riding her own bike!!! :)

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Rode about 450 on my lil sv650 several times. SUCKS in the corners, but if you're just cruising around, it's not a problem. Also makes it VERY easy to do wheelies (wheelie's + 450 pounds = no fun).

·
Registered
548 Posts
so how much over 400lbs are we talking?

My R6 is rated at 417lbs. I would never do many turns with that much on there though. But crusing around on some highways would be good. Set your suspension full hard, maybe soften the tires a little(depending on how much you ride normally)-- and go riding.

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
The FZ1 should be able to handle that kind of wieght with some upgrades to the springs and having the shocks revalved.

I'm about 210 with gear on and my wife is probably about 145. We are able to ride ok but on some of the rough back roads, the rear shock will bottom out.

·
Club Racer
226 Posts
Almighty Jason said:
so how much over 400lbs are we talking?

My R6 is rated at 417lbs. I would never do many turns with that much on there though. But crusing around on some highways would be good. Set your suspension full hard, maybe soften the tires a little(depending on how much you ride normally)-- and go riding.
soften the tires??? You should be adding air and increaseing the pressure when riding with that much weight.

·
Registered
101 Posts
:needpics

That way we can tell if your 6' tall, athletic girlfriend would be safe on the back. Yeah, that's it. . .safety first :biggrinag

·
Registered
371 Posts
blndebmbr said:
From what I understand, the FZ6 is the R6 with a more comfy seating position. Mechanically it's exactly the same.
As far as the weight goes...I have seen some PRETTY LARGE guys on these sportbikes. Maybe not quite 400# but not too far off either. I would contact someone that does suspension work. You could get the bike properly adjusted to handle the extra weight, therefore eliminating the "pig in corners" issue.
Of course you could always get your girl riding her own bike!!! :)
The FZ6 has a slightly detuned version of the R6 engine. But that is where the similarity stops. Everything else is completely different.

From the Yamaha site:
"New-concept middleweight sportbike: High-performance but with an anything, anytime, anywhere attitude.
Upright, comfortable riding position with great weather protection. Light, effortless handling for urban use, comfortable long-distance cruising, and serious sport riding too." :dblthumb

1 - 16 of 16 Posts