Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed this recently..

My brake lever pulls waay further than it used too. I used to be able to bring the bike to a screeching hault using 2 fingers.. Now I need all four, and I can pull the level almost all the way back to the grip. The brakes also seem really "grabby".. like They don't brake much at all, then it hits a certain point and BAM they're on full force. Don't notice it much at higher speeds, but when I'm going slow, like towards a stopsign, it's really hard to stop smoothly.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Stupid Q, but have you tried adjusting the brake lever (small circular adjuster at the base)?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've moved it around.. it helps a little (but not much).. but I was wondering why it would change so much before I ever touched it. I'm sort concerned about it, cause what if they just stop working all together while i'm riding?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Changing your brake fluid might help, but hopefully somebody will chime in with a 5 minute fix instead. If you've never changed the fluid and it's a 2001, that just might be your problem though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the same problem... bleeding the brake line helps a bit. I think my bike might need a new brake line.

Be sure to check your brake pads for wear.

Take care of this ASAP, you definitely don't want to be riding around with an ineffective front brake.

·
Registered
251 Posts
When the pads are worn out, the lever will come closer to the bar and the brakes will feel different. I'd look closely at the pads for wear.

Assuming you need pads, make sure you clean the rotors thoroughly before installing new pads. The pad materials are sometimes very different and old brake dust may contaminate the new pads making them feel lousy until they wear a bit longer than a "normal" bed-in wear time.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Even if you change the fluid regularly, it can still develop airbubbles from a number of different things, especially if the fluid level is low.

I would first and formost check for leaks (which I doubt, they are usually pretty obvious) then I would bleed it, and then I would take a zip-tie or something, and ziptie the break lever for a few nights, this lets any remaining air-bubbles "rise to the top" and escape that way.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I agree. Change your fluid. Also, check the res cap to see if it is sealing. Brake fluid will absorb small amounts of air if left exposed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts