Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NASCAR driver Tony Stewart's race car strikes, kills fellow driver | Fox News

Not good. There is (was?) a video up on YouTube of the accident earlier this morning. Hard to tell what actually happened, looked like Stewart didn't see the other driver until the last second. WTF the other driver was thinking is anyone's guess. I realize emotions run high in the middle of a Sprintcar race but getting out of your car and walking out on the track is just pushing your luck.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Dumb move by a kid, but Tony Stewart blipped the throttle (IMO, an attempt to spray him with dirt), and the rearend kicked out and took Kevin Ward with the back tire. He was run over twice, and when they stopped, Kevin had his torso backwards.

IMO, Tony is 50% at fault, he's been driving these cars for 35 years, he knows what will happen. You blip throttle of a 900 hp 2000 lb car, what will happen?

Stewart has been a professional driver in 3 different series, he saw him.

I saw a different video floating on FB. Different angle.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
sprintcars weigh in at 3400 pounds do they not?

regardless, whatever tony did, he did not mean to kill the kid. Ward should not have been walking on track. that is the most basic of basic track etiquette to not get yourself fucking killed.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
It was a really dumb move by the kid, followed by an equally dumb move by Stewart.

Reactions: jk750

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
What the hell was he thinking?!? Intentionally walking around the middle of a racetrack -DURING A RACE! - pointing fingers at other racers as they zoom past you at high rates of speed. How dumb can you be that your ego got you to do that?!?

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
it wasnt during a race....it was yellow flagged and he had just had his very expensive car slammed into the wall.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
this just in: yellow flag laps never happen during a race.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I very highly doubt Stewart was trying to kill the kid. Was he maybe trying to spray him with mud? I don't know but you sure as fuck don't just non nonchalantly walk on to the middle of a racetrack when the vehicles are zooming by you at race speed, especially when that vehicle is a sprint car. Bottom line IMO is that the kid is primarily at fault for being a total dumb ass.

·
Registered
825 Posts
black fire suit, black helmet, night race, on a dirt cambered track
the odds where not in has favor the moment he left the car.
RIP Ward

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
sprintcars weigh in at 3400 pounds do they not?

regardless, whatever tony did, he did not mean to kill the kid. Ward should not have been walking on track. that is the most basic of basic track etiquette to not get yourself fucking killed.
Nope, you are thinking of Sprint Cup (NASCAR), Sprint Cars must be a minimum weight of 1625 lbs WITH driver.

http://www.usacracing.com/assets/files/rules/2014/2014_Appendix_B_Silver_Crown.pdf

And walking on the track is the norm in NASCAR. You should watch Tony throw helmets inside other cars, stop them, and even hit them with his car in the pits. Another one prone to do that is Kevin Harvick, and Kyle Busch.

I very highly doubt Stewart was trying to kill the kid. Was he maybe trying to spray him with mud? I don't know but you sure as fuck don't just non nonchalantly walk on to the middle of a racetrack when the vehicles are zooming by you at race speed, especially when that vehicle is a sprint car. Bottom line IMO is that the kid is primarily at fault for being a total dumb ass.
No, I don't think he was trying to kill him at all. It just happened.

I guess nobody watched Nascar today at Watkins Glen? walking on the track happened 3 times...that was just today, not counting yesterday in Nationwide race.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
There is a reason you aren't supposed to walk around on a hot track.

Reactions: knonfs and Gaolee

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lots of discussion here with no less than 3 guys with sprint car experience: Tony Stewart - 13x Forums

Personally, I don't think Stewart saw him until the last second and wasn't trying to do any more than miss the other driver.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
this just in: yellow flag laps never happen during a race.

No they dont. That's their whole point.

yellow flags mean caution - slow down to idle pace as there is debris on the track. the cars are going about 35mph.....the other cars (not in an altercation with him) had no problem missing him.

A hot track means a green flag is out.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
A Hot Track, means there are vehicles circulating. Not safe for walking around.

Tyler Graves, a sprint-car racer and friend of Ward's, told Sporting News in a phone interview that he was sitting in the Turn 1 grandstands and saw everything that happened.

"Tony pinched him into the frontstretch wall, a racing thing," Graves said. "The right rear tire went down, he spun on the exit of (Turn) 2. They threw the caution and everything was toned down. Kevin got out of his car. … He was throwing his arms up all over the place at Tony for most of the corner.

"I know Tony could see him. I know how you can see out of these cars. When Tony got close to him, he hit the throttle. When you hit a throttle on a sprint car, the car sets sideways. It set sideways, the right rear tire hit Kevin, Kevin was sucked underneath and was stuck under it for a second or two and then it threw him about 50 yards."
WAS AT SPEEDWAY AND RIGHT NEAR TONY STEWARTS RACE HAULER.AFTER HE CAME IN HE HAD THE CREW CHAGE HIS RIGHT REAR TIRE .THEY ENDED UP PUTTING A LEFT ONE ON. COPS WERE TOLD ABOUT IT SO HOPEFULLY THEY DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. HE ALSO HAD A GO PRO CAMERA ON HIS CAR HOPEFULLY THEY CONFISCATE THAT ALSO BEFORE THAT GETS DESTROYED. HEARD THE YOUNG DRIVER DIDN'T MAKE IT AND I HOPE IT'S NOT TRUE BUT THEY WOULDN'T BRING TONY OUT UNTIL ALL OTHER HAULERS WERE GONE .ALOT OF POLICE AROUND HIS HAULER ALONG WITH HIS PERSONEL SECURITY. HOPE IF THIS IS ALL TRUE WHAT HAPPENED ON THE TRACK THAT HE DOESN'T GET AWAY WITH IT. HE FINALLY LET HIS TEMPER GET THE BEST OF HIM........
Video: Tony Stewart Runs Over Driver During Confrontation, Killing Him

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Saw a different video on Fox News this morning that showed the 45 car swerving to miss the kid and Stewart had no place to go. The kid even tried to jump out of the way when he finally saw Stewart. Not sure about the throttle blip but seems the only way Stewart had any chance to try to miss him.

Just the angle I saw...

·
Registered
12,402 Posts
The video I saw looked like the other cars saw the kid, Stewart had room to miss him, too, but didn't. I don't know if Stewart saw him or not, but Stewart is a known hot-head, and the kid was acting like a hot-head, too. Two hot heads in close proximity doesn't usually turn out well. My take is that Steward should be up for involuntary manslaughter at the very least. I don't know what happened, but I have played in the dirt often enough to know that Stewart knew exactly what would happen with his car when he blipped the throttle. If his vision does anything like what mine does on the track, then he would be seeing all kinds of things, most likely including the kid. If he was running up the backside of another car under a yellow to the point he didn't have anywhere to go, then it's going to look bad for him again. I don't have much sympathy for either of their behavior. I have a lot of sympathy for the kid's family, since this shouldn't have happened.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Racing accident IMO. I've been around sprintcars and midgets my whole life.

For those of you who don't know, a midget is a smaller sprintcar with about 400 hp and weighs about 900 pounds. 410 cubic inch sprintcars have about 900 hp and weigh about 1400 pounds. These were winged sprintcars, hence the wing comments. These cars are rocket ships on wheels.

Here's me:

Because of both the top wing, nose wing, neck restraints, sun visors, and helmets, you cannot see anything to the right of you or the first 30 feet in front of you. Also a typical A-Main setup on that size of track would be 12 inches of stagger. That means the right rear is 12 inches larger in circumference than the left. Meaning standing on the gas makes the car go left and getting out of the pedal makes the car go back right (just what the video shows). Also, the brakes on a sprintcar or midget are only on the left front and one on the rear axle. They are meant to "set" the car into a left turn, not actually stop it or slow it down quickly. He didn't see him until the last minute, and it was too late.

Now to who is really at fault.

In dirt track racing there is no use of 2-way radios (they are typically illegal). Instead, drivers wear ear buds connected to a 1-way radio so the track officials can talk to the drivers in order to correct line-ups, etc.

Judging by the fact that a couple other cars also came close to Mr. Ward, I would say the track officials failed at letting the other drivers know what was happening on the racetrack.

Not to mention before every race night there is a drivers meeting where the drivers are informed of all of the rules for that specific sanctioning body/track. This is a well known rule that exiting a car and entering the racing surface at any time warrants a suspension or ban from the track.

·
Registered
649 Posts
A Hot Track, means there are vehicles circulating. Not safe for walking around.

WAS AT SPEEDWAY AND RIGHT NEAR TONY STEWARTS RACE HAULER.AFTER HE CAME IN HE HAD THE CREW CHAGE HIS RIGHT REAR TIRE .THEY ENDED UP PUTTING A LEFT ONE ON. COPS WERE TOLD ABOUT IT SO HOPEFULLY THEY DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
You put a left rear tire on the right side of the car at the end of the night so it will fit into the trailer door, whether it be for horizontal or vertical room. The cars are very tall when they sit up on their right rear tires. A sprintcar RR tire is between 104-106 inches in circumference. They also sit very wide with the RR tire on to avoid bicycling...

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
- did TS have an intent to harm
- did TS act in a negligent way to cause unintended harm to someone.

????

its going to be hard to convict him when the dude ran out into the track like that.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts