Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s a sad fact of life that I am older and fatter than I would like to be. Because of my condition, I can tell you from experience that there are a lot of things that happen when you let yourself go. One of those things is that your hot, race-ready sportbike becomes uncomfortable to ride. Of course the long term solution is diet and exercise, but like a lot of people I prefer immediate solutions that don’t involve missing desert. So, to improve my situation, I decided to change my clip-ons to a less extreme position.

Once upon a time there must have been all kinds of different companies that made specialty clip-on kits for 1991 GSXR1100s. I am sure that back in the day I could have gone into almost any motorcycle accessory store and found vast numbers of complete kits that would have fit my bike perfectly and given me the results I wanted with absolutely no problems. Of course times have changed and supply and demand dictates that most companies no longer make lots of products for bikes that are rapidly going the way of the dinosaur; and so I was relegated to using the dreaded “universal kit.”

Because they are “universal,” it makes sense that there should be all sorts universal clip-on kits on the market. However, it turned out to be harder to find a kit for my bike than I thought it would be. 52mm diameter clip-ons are not that common these days and many companies make nothing even close to that size. In the end, after a great deal of on-line searching, I chose a set made by an Italian company I had never heard of but which is best known for supplying aftermarket parts for Moto Guzzi and Ducati - Tommaselli. Their product appeared to be high quality and also appeared to offer a great deal of adjustability, something I very much desired.

Of course, buying stuff off the internet is rife with problems and I expected to encounter any number of them. To begin with, the only company I could find that stocked my size was is the United Kingdom -Motomecca www.motomeccaspares.com. After pondering my options, I held my breath, ordered on-line and paid with my credit card. The good news is that Motomecca did me right. There was no problem with my credit card transaction and the clip-ons were in my hands in less than two weeks - and this is to me in Japan via the Army Post Office (APO) system! Downright amazing, Motomecca can be proud of how prompt they were.

The clips-ons were as advertised. As the pictures show they are nice aluminum pieces with the ability to twist into any number of shapes. They are built like water pipes, using “L” pieces pulled together and secured by allen bolts which are in turn held in place by set screws. The design is ingenious, amazingly adjustable, very light weight and seems quite secure. I am quite satisfied with what I purchased, it was exactly as advertised and for $143.00 delivered (including international postage) was a bargain.

The old clip-ons came off without a fuss and, after giving some thought as to where I wanted my hands to rest, I decided upon a shape and pieced everything back together. The whole process was simple and quick. Of course that was with the wheel pointed straight, but handle bars have to turn through the full range of motion and that was the point where the best laid plans of mice and fat-men started to unravel.

Both clip-ons have hydraulic master cylinders mounted atop and these stick up over the highest part of the bars. It was clear from the start that my “perfect”bar height setting was too tall and did not allow the master cylinders to clear the bottom of the wind screen. To get the necessary clearance, the clip-ons had to be lowered. And so it began, the whole operation working like some kind of demented rubix cube as each small change messed up something else in amazingly complex cycle of “change one thing, change another.” The fine tuning took a considerable amount of time and, after considering every other option, I finally dropped out one the adjusting “L” pieces which returned the clip-ons to the stock height. This was lower than I had hoped but at least everything cleared.

In the end, as the pictures show, I was able to make the swap without professional help (mechanical or psychological) but to my chagrin, thanks to clearance issues, the new clip-ons are nowhere near as high as I would have liked. In fact, they are just a fraction of an inch away from stock, but they are a little flatter and little wider and this has changed my grip enough to make the bike more comfortable. Therefore I am calling this operation a success.

To conclude, I have to say that Tommaselli makes a nice set of bars that offer an incredible amount of adjustability. I am convinced that anything less would not have worked. Also, for $143.00 delivered (including international postage) they were a bargain and Motomecca gets high marks for their speed and efficiency.

Pics -

1: Tommaselli Bars before installation
2/3 Before and After
3/4 Before and After

Attachments

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a quick update. Almost a year after my switch I am still using my Tommeselli clip ons and have experienced no problems. They have held up well, still look great and, despite the number of fasteners required to hold them in the desired shape, have not loosened due to vibration.

Also, the slight changes I was able to make has really made the bike much more comfortable and much easier to ride. I also think they look a hundred times better than the old bars. I am very satisfied with them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have you thought about getting the new GSXR's remote resivoir brake and clutch levers? Then you could raise the bars, and make your own brackets for the master cylinder that would get it up and out of the way of the windscreen. Of course then it would be in towards the center of the bike.

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never heard of those, but the truth is I'm pretty satisfied with the way things worked out. These days this is about as tricky a project as I want to get into.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts