Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waiving, according to Progressive Insurance

(Ganked this from the FZ1OA board)

"July’s Rider magazine carries an article about a motorcyclist survey, which was commissioned by the Progressive Insurance Company. According to the article, sportsbike riders are 4 times more likely than Harley riders not to wave at another motorcyclist of any brand. The article groups bikes into just two categories; sportsbikes (covering all brands and motorcycle styles lumped together as “sportsbikes”) and Harleys (mentioned by brand, excluding all other cruisers). It seems the Progressive Insurance Company, as well as their commissioned survey, are out of touch with their customers. The article is laughable, but it wasn’t written to be humorous.

Hmm, I wonder if the HD Motor Company tweaked the survey..."

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I get waves from 99% of all bikes except for HD's. The 1% that don't wave are properly preoccupied (scanning an intersection, etc).

I get 20% waves from HD's. They being more senior aged riders. (I can actually predict who will/won't wave.)

I love the commoradory of riders. The friendliness of total strangers riding up to each other and waving hello - cool - only on bikes! (When in my cage I often have to fight the impulse to wave at an oncoming bike.)

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
skeleton said:
(When in my cage I often have to fight the impulse to wave at an oncoming bike.)

I do the same thing.

But the comradery isn't only on bikes. Jeep drivers do it (usually the Wranglers), as do Corvette drivers (my dad learned this last year).

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
But what about "Civic Nation"?! *rolls eyes*

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
04Fizzer,

I didn't know that some select cagers can be cool too. (I drive a sedan; it does happen in my league.)

·
Registered
245 Posts
That's why we usualy ride with a guy in a cruiser, he gets the wave of the HD, and we all do as well. But is true some HD do not wave, I do wave everybody, I put it this way: just the fact that you riding in 2 wheels no matter what kind of bike is it, you should wave, both are managing the same risk of riding a bike and have the same joy, so be nice, wave.
The only time when I do not wave and I seen that some other people neither is up in the twisty mountains, I am to focus to pay attention on waiving when I am negotiating a turn.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I feel I'm excused from waving if I'm in the middle of a maneuver. However, I'll wave at cruisers, standards, cages (if they wave first), etc. Most wave back. I'd say HDs are the only ones who are consistently too cool to wave. Sad, really. Sometimes they drop an arm to signal intent to wave without actually committing and risking a wave not being returned. I find that kind of endearing.

The other day some sport riders waved to my male friends, but not me. I don't know what to say about that. I'm a little miffed, but whatever.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
karst said:
I feel I'm excused from waving if I'm in the middle of a maneuver. However, I'll wave at cruisers, standards, cages (if they wave first), etc. Most wave back. I'd say HDs are the only ones who are consistently too cool to wave. Sad, really. Sometimes they drop an arm to signal intent to wave without actually committing and risking a wave not being returned. I find that kind of endearing.

The other day some sport riders waved to my male friends, but not me. I don't know what to say about that. I'm a little miffed, but whatever.
Like someone said, most won't wave if they're starting up from an intersection/stop sign/light. In cases like that, I tend to give a generous nod.

As far as waving, all I do is stick a hand out about waist high. The way I hold my hand, I end up with a semi peace sign.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Sure, that seems pretty standard. I have even had hotshots wave in the middle of a turn at speed. If I'd been able to do more than lift my fingers and bob my head to acknowledge, I could've done the 100mph high five.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
karst said:
Sure, that seems pretty standard. I have even had hotshots wave in the middle of a turn at speed. If I'd been able to do more than lift my fingers and bob my head to acknowledge, I could've done the 100mph high five.
Definitely not my speed. lol

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hey! I wave! :twofinger :flipa :neener

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
How do you wave?

I see most riders wave with an inverted peace gesture ("keep two wheels down", they say).

It's is not as cool, but I want to keep my hand on the bar in the interest of safety. While the thumb still wrapped around the grip, I lift my 2-fingers up. Though, more sutle, everybody can catch the gesture.

If I am in a maneuver, I give a little nod - it always gets a nod back.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
skeleton said:
I see most riders wave with an inverted peace gesture
That's what most of my waves turn out to be :lao It just happens that way, don't really intend it.
I usually wave an anyone on two (or 3 in a trikes case) wheels. Most of the Sport bikes wave back and a good majority of the cruisers do as well. The only time I don't get a waive froma cruiser is when you have that steriotypical wanna be bad boy who thinks he's too cool for anything other then a cruiser wearing his brain bucket, wife beater, jeans and chain wrapped boots. Every once in a while I get dirty looks from cruisers when I wave at them .. like I just violated some sacred HD code or soemthing :rolleyes

The only time I don't wave is when I need both hands on the bars for some reason .... either shifting, braking, whatever. In those cases I either nod or give a quick tap to the horn w/ a nod. I even managed to pull off a wave in a turn once or twice, but it was a really easy turn.

I did :bitchslap someone for waving though. He's a total newbie who bought an SV650S brand new as a first bike. Has only had his license about a month. I told him to keep his damn hands on the bars and knock off the waving till he's more experianced.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I share the same enthusiasm/experiences with waving as everyone else here but on my last couple of rides there was another bike or three every freaking quarter mile (yeah...it's Bike Week here in Laconia NH!) After 20 miles of it it gets really old; you feel like a robot that reacts to the sound of oncoming pipes. I had to give it a rest or just give a feeble jeep wave off the left grip.

I like FAZtER's idea of the winking headlight. If I could thumb a switch and have my left headlamp temporarily blink off that would be cool. (Ooops that comment belongs in the new Mods forum.) :D

·
Registered
419 Posts
04Fizzer said:
No wonder people sabotage your bike.
:eek:nfloor :lao :lol :slaugh Damn! Good memory! Actually I still get a nice wave back.....unless we're racing. :neener

·
Registered
149 Posts
Man, I'm confused on this one. I ride a Harley and an FZ6 and I wave at everyone, I don't care what they ride. As long as they ride, but I have to jump on the other side of Skeleton's comments. I get fewer waves from the Sport Bike guys when I'm on the HD than I do on the FZ6. The HD guys that don't wave are just the profilers trying to look cool. Don't let it bug you, they don't wave because they are still trying to learn how to ride that $50,000 bike they only have 1,000 miles on in the last 3 years. True riders wave to all.

:beer

1 - 20 of 69 Posts