Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine just bought a 01 R1 and he thinks it's is a little to much for him. So he really likes my 01 ZX7R and wants to trade straight up. My bike has 4000 miles, Muzzy exhaust, new tires, eliminator kit and flush mount turn signals. The R1 has a 7500 miles, Micron high mount exhaust, eliminator kit and flush mount signals. Now for the bad, the R1 needs new tires and has a crack on the rear, near the brake light. What really scares me is that I don't know who owned the bike previously and how it was ridden and I know the R1 is a real popular bike among stunt/wheelie crowd, which makes me nervous because for all I know, some guy had it a beat the shit out of it. Please understand I am not stereotyping R1 riders as the R1 most likely will be my next bike(O5/06 model). I just don't want a bike that has a beat clutch,forks and gears. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I guess my first question would be do like your bike? No question that the R1 (if in good working order) is a superior bike. But that is irrevelant, if you are happy with your bike that is all that matters. Who cares what other people think, it sounds like you have invested some time and effort in your 7R. The R1 is quite a bit different from your bike. I imagine if you have ever done any long rides you will find the R1 a little less comfortable, somthing to consider before trading bikes.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
clsmitty said:
I guess my first question would be do like your bike? No question that the R1 (if in good working order) is a superior bike. But that is irrevelant, if you are happy with your bike that is all that matters. Who cares what other people think, it sounds like you have invested some time and effort in your 7R. The R1 is quite a bit different from your bike. I imagine if you have ever done any long rides you will find the R1 a little less comfortable, somthing to consider before trading bikes.
Yeah I never really considered the comfort factor, good point. I do love my bike but i had it for a while and the R1 is sharp, I guess I need to borrow it for a while and see what the deal is.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hyabusa said:
Trade....Pay the 200 to get it inspected if your being a little baby. That should calm your nerves
So being cautious is being a baby. This probably coming from a guy who bought a Hayabusa for a first bike. I bet you have a extended swingarm too but never seen a drag strip.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
what will you gain from the R1? admiration from the squids? zx-7r is a classic great bike.......i say keep it.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Good idea

I am glad you are asking advice, impulse buying can come back and bite you in the ass. Appearance is important but comfort and practical ridability are more important if you are a serious rider.

·
Registered
488 Posts
i disagree with the above.. i say take the R1 and run..

·
Registered
496 Posts
hyabusa said:
Trade....Pay the 200 to get it inspected if your being a little baby. That should calm your nerves
How is being concerned about the condition of a bike being a baby? Are you a SQUID or some shit, calm down your nerves bro :dblthumb

I would be concerned myself if I was trading my bike.

MJ if I were you and I was happy with the ZX7 I'd keep it. They aren't the greatest bike ever built but their sought after, they don't make em any more and there a great bike! But it's all up to you!

·
Fitshaced
1,888 Posts
I also worry about vehicle relaiblity when I buy bikes and cars. Bikes will damn near run forever if taken care of. Borrow your buddies R1 for a few days and put a few hundred miles on it and then jump back on your bike for a few days. Then make the decision. After riding it a few days you should be able to tell if anything major is wrong with it.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for the great advice. The R1 is a beautiful bike as is the ZX7. I will probably take the R1 for a couple of days and get some time on it. I must admit though, The ZX7 is a great bike and has never given me problems and will be tough to part with but I am also worried my friend might be in over his head with the R1. He is diffentently not going sell it and if i don't take it he will ride the bike. I will try and convince him to at least put back the stock sprocket, Christ knows he does not need to be 1 down in the front

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
If you do decide to trade bikes see if he will get some new tires for it, and have it checked out at a local shop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts