Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...tis the question.

Ok, I want to polish my rims but I have heard so many different ways to do it I don't know which one is right or the best! I have heard some people say that they just used paint stripper and just cleaned that off and it came out looking great! Other people say to use sandpaper or steel wool once you get all the paint off... So which one is it?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Paint stripper works well on painted wheels that have a smooth machine finish, but if you have rough cast wheels then you will want to sand. It's not an easy job to do. I took mine to a local guy here in Kansas City who does it out of a small home shop. If you don't have the right tools to do the job, I recommend taking them to someone who does. Mine came out looking like chrome.

·
Registered
177 Posts
the centers are generally powdercoated, so aircraft stripper won't touch it, but the lips are painted, so once you strip them they already look polished. i'd recommend just stripping the lips because it's easy to do and easy to maintain. just paint the stripper on, wait @ an hour and wipe the paint off with a rag and rub it with some mother's polish...voila! it takes me @ 2 hours to complete the job.

·
Registered
177 Posts
here's a pic right after the stripper, no polish yet. i may have an hour invested in the front and rear wheel at the point this shot was taken. so you can see, that it's pretty much done once stripped. very little if any polishing necessary. let me know if you have any ?'s, [email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi just wanted to let you know ive seen polished wheel look just as good as chrome if that what your trying to achieve at a lesser cost another plus is if you ever scratch the rim it can be buffed out compare to chrome were you have to complete rechrome the whole rim, but there can be a downside but it depend if you consider a downfall or not polishing after a example 6 months can oxidize and get dull and you will have to use elbow grease and can be tidis for some to up keep these wheels, please anyone who has done this please come forward and correct me if i am wrong, but remeber some dont mind and some do , its boils down to you, just giving you heads up so your aware of both sides, but beside that polished will look good....just my .02 cents

1 - 5 of 5 Posts