Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys...

I have a problem...

I have a 2001 Yamaha R1 that I bought a few months back. I've owned the bike since late April and I've only put about 300 miles on it. Ya, I know what you're thinking, why so few miles? I'll start from the beginning...

I sold a 1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic, and a 1994 Yamaha FZR1000 over the winter. Due to lack of riding time I couldn't justify owning two bikes, and at the time I didn't feel that either bike really fit my personality. So the thought was to sell the two older bikes and buy ONE bike that was a little newer. A guy in my area was selling a 2001 R1 for an amazing price so I couldn't pass it up.

FLASHBACK... someone on this message board advised me NOT to sell my FZR, but I did anyway. "You'll regret it" he said, and I do. STUPID... STUPID... STUPID!

To make a long story short, I can't bare to ride the R1. I love the style, the color, the power, the compliments I get, but it's so DAM uncomfortable for me to ride. Call me a puss but my wrists get really sore 20 minutes into the ride. I can honestly say that I don't enjoy riding the bike so it just sits in my garage.

I thought about selling the R1 and getting a naked bike. A more upright riding position which I'd really like, yet I'd be giving up the wind protection. The R1 has a double bubble that works great on the highway. I'm 33 years old, 6' 0", 170 lbs, and I don't think I'm ready to give up sport riding... I'm too young.

In the mean time I'm trying to sell the R1. I've been riding about three years now and I can't seem to find the right bike for me. Guess I'll be a "former motorcycle owner" until I can find the right bike for me.

So, what do I do?? I want it all... speed, looks, compliments, and COMFORT! Is there a sportbike out there that would be more comfortable for me? Would the Honda 954RR be a better bike?

ANY IDEAS????

·
Registered
525 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind when yo mention aching wrists is proper technique. Do you straighten your arms and rest you r weight on them? This will make the wrists hurt for sure. Try using your legs and stomach to support your upper body. I know it takes s ome time to build up the muscles and the habit to do it consistently, but that should go a long way towards comfort and also better bike control.
Alternatively, try some Heli bars. The will raise the handlebars up and back enough to ease the riding position without having to give up the whole bike. They aren't that expensive either...less than $200 last I looked at them (I think).

·
Registered
525 Posts
If you decide that you must sell the R1, then I would recommend a zx-12R. I used to own one and it is a nice roomy (compared to other sportbikes) ride. People will tell you it's a bit heavy, but trust me, raise the rear ride height by 5mm, lower the front by 12mm and set up the springs/compression/rebound to suit and you could swear it handles like your R1. Makes a HUGE difference for the cost of a set of adjustable dog links.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I currently have a 954 and it is a great bike. Ride that R1 more to see if you can get use to the riding position remember you came from a different riding position and it will take time to become adjusted to it. If you are interested in sport touring how about an Honda Interceptor 781cc liquid-cooled 90-degree V-4. Or a Yamaha FZ1 the list goes on and on.

·
Registered
117 Posts
That was the reason I picked the 954 over the R1 awhile back. The R1 hurt my wrists with their ergos. Try the heli bars?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Get a naked bike with some sort of windscreen/flyscreen or sport fairing. Or get a sport touring machine.
FJR13, FZ1, 919, Duc Monster, VFR, BMW Rockster ......There are a lot of bikes that can be fun, handle very well and be rediculously comfortable for human beings to ride.

I put over 2000 miles on an R1 one weekend and decided I didn't need that type of abuse.

·
Registered
966 Posts
This might be a shot in the dark, but possibly adjusting the clip-ons might help...you could try it, its a free modification, and you might like the riding position and keep the R1...good luck

·
Registered
145 Posts
Plenty of different bikes out there for plenty of different riders...

Wanna try a sport tourer? VFR-800 maybe...
Wanna try a standard? Bandit 600/1200
Wanna have something different? Triumph Daytona... or BMW...

Like was mentioned, try using your abs and not letting pressure rest on your wrists... it may take a bit of trying but it should work...

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
neutom72 said:
Hi guys...

I have a problem...

I have a 2001 Yamaha R1 that I bought a few months back. I've owned the bike since late April and I've only put about 300 miles on it. Ya, I know what you're thinking, why so few miles? I'll start from the beginning...

I sold a 1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic, and a 1994 Yamaha FZR1000 over the winter. Due to lack of riding time I couldn't justify owning two bikes, and at the time I didn't feel that either bike really fit my personality. So the thought was to sell the two older bikes and buy ONE bike that was a little newer. A guy in my area was selling a 2001 R1 for an amazing price so I couldn't pass it up.

FLASHBACK... someone on this message board advised me NOT to sell my FZR, but I did anyway. "You'll regret it" he said, and I do. STUPID... STUPID... STUPID!

To make a long story short, I can't bare to ride the R1. I love the style, the color, the power, the compliments I get, but it's so DAM uncomfortable for me to ride. Call me a puss but my wrists get really sore 20 minutes into the ride. I can honestly say that I don't enjoy riding the bike so it just sits in my garage.

I thought about selling the R1 and getting a naked bike. A more upright riding position which I'd really like, yet I'd be giving up the wind protection. The R1 has a double bubble that works great on the highway. I'm 33 years old, 6' 0", 170 lbs, and I don't think I'm ready to give up sport riding... I'm too young.

In the mean time I'm trying to sell the R1. I've been riding about three years now and I can't seem to find the right bike for me. Guess I'll be a "former motorcycle owner" until I can find the right bike for me.

So, what do I do?? I want it all... speed, looks, compliments, and COMFORT! Is there a sportbike out there that would be more comfortable for me? Would the Honda 954RR be a better bike?

ANY IDEAS????
If comfort is your main thing, don't get another sport/liter bike. They are not made to be comfortable, they are for high speed low drag, in other words the bike is made to put you in the fetal position as quick as possible. Yes, the busa ,zx11, 12 etc are cadillacs compared to the "other" bikes, but it is still not going to be as "comfortable" as the vulcan, etc without some type of mod. Sounds like you might need to find your FZR.

·
Registered
323 Posts
ahemcoughpussyahemcough
work out those little riding muscles dont grip your bars so tite and
dude i put 300 miles on the bike every other day let alone a few month period i think you need to sell the bike and bye a goldwing if you want comfort but im an asshole so what do i know

·
Registered
535 Posts
zx11_12 said:
The first thing that comes to mind when yo mention aching wrists is proper technique. Do you straighten your arms and rest you r weight on them? This will make the wrists hurt for sure. Try using your legs and stomach to support your upper body. I know it takes s ome time to build up the muscles and the habit to do it consistently, but that should go a long way towards comfort and also better bike control.
Alternatively, try some Heli bars. The will raise the handlebars up and back enough to ease the riding position without having to give up the whole bike. They aren't that expensive either...less than $200 last I looked at them (I think).
+1 good stuff

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
I'll trade you my VFR for your R1, how bout that?

BTW-Nice rampage clip for the poster above me!

·
I am MOTARDED
3,089 Posts
ok I admit Im over weight and I'm short which made it uncomfortable to ride my R6. wrist pain I just rode and after time it went away. pluse I started holding my self up with my abs. back pain yes after 150 miles, so i stop and stretch every hour or so. ride more hurt less is what I say, condition your self. I did get some gen mar risers which raised my bars about 3/4 of an inch which solved all my neck pain.

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
big_slacker said:
I'll trade you my VFR for your R1, how bout that?

BTW-Nice rampage clip for the poster above me!
This sounds like an excellent deal...assuming the VFR is in decent shape!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
i have an r6 and when i first started riding it, my wrists hurt a bit too, then i realized i just was holding on too tight, and after loosening my grip a bit, its actually extrememly comfy to ride. you should give it a try before you decide to sell

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
Wait for the new FZ1 to come out, it'll have the styling of the FZ6 with an engine based off the fuel injected R1. Good ergos and fast.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
My next bike is definately gonna have more comfort. I ride with proper technique and it doesn't help after a nice 2 hour ride. Today, I re-aggravated a back injury and the only pain I have ever felt more from was when I had my wisdom teeth pulled. So I've narrowed my choices to a Triumph Speed Triple or a Suzuki DR400SM. The handlebars are so much more comfortable than clip-ons. You could always convert the R1 into a streetfighter. Those are badass.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts