Sport Bikes banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Track Junkie
2,462 Posts
I love the way the bike handles with a slightly lowered front-end. Has a faster, more "crisp" turn-in into corners. Feels more agile overall.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
no, they aren't charging me. and that's a good point. if it's an easy fix if I don't like then I will just change it back. or, have them do it, rather.

and it'll handle better?? is that even possible? after being on a cruiser this feels like driving a fully-automatic sports car. I didn't think corners could GET any tighter.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I agree that 1/2 is not much of a change tough, have someone to push the front down to compress 1/2" so you can feel the difference. I tell ya not much.
As for "better" handling, I just question the riding styles, I would guess that a new rider may consider stability as better handling and the twisties addict may consider a more flickable bike a better handling bike.
That said, It could be done for tuning purpose to achieve a handling goal like at a track day, but then the rider is fully geared and have lesser chances to hit a semi truck.
No free lunch, an improvement there have adverse effects somewhere else.
While in the subject, some height taken equally from the front and rear will detune the chassis some, but will have less dangerous effects since the rake will remain almost unchanged.
Still, for a very short person, falling at every 2 stoplights is a greater hazard than lowering the bike :lao

Just how I see it, everyone tune their bike like they please to.

·
Saratogian
3,627 Posts
gboezio said:
As for "better" handling, I just question the riding styles, I would guess that a new rider may consider stability as better handling and the twisties addict may consider a more flickable bike a better handling bike.
Good point but those of us who have done this and report that stability remains at a very acceptable level for, dare I say, any rider.

gboezio said:
No free lunch, an improvement there have adverse effects somewhere else.
Agreed! But see above...

gboezio said:
Just how I see it, everyone tune their bike like they please to.
Your first post was pretty dramatic.......

Randomchaos said:
I love the way the bike handles with a slightly lowered front-end. Has a faster, more "crisp" turn-in into corners. Feels more agile overall.
Exactly...I lowered my front end because the bike performs better that way (from a sport/track riding perspective). I don't have to use so much muscle to initiate and hold a highspeed knee-draggin' corner. Stability has not been an issue although I know it has changed to a certain extent.

I've had my forks raised from 0 to 1.5" and a few spots in between (all tested at the track under ~extreme braking/corning). I have found about 1" (25mm) to work best for me with my helibar clipons mounted under the top triple.

I used to get more headshake when shifting from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 at full throttle with the stock setup including bars than I do now......the reason for this is technique. The same goes for my rear end sliding all over the place under maximum braking while banging downshifts.

When I had the forks dropped 1.5" which in my opinion is too far due to reduced suspension travel, the bike wanted to stoppie all the time...this was fun in/on a parking lot / country road but sucked at the track.

In short, I've done it and I've beat the crap out of my bike with various settings. After a couple thousand miles of experimentation at the track, I have decided 1" is better for me than 0".

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well if the setup is tried and tested and since it seem not to be your first bike, you can give it a shot, just be careful tough.

Your first post was pretty dramatic.......
Lol just wanted to give an example of bad things that could happens, but still some bikes don't respond well to these changes and shit happens, so I felt I had to warn

·
Registered
432 Posts
Miss Em said:
yeah I was kinda wondering about that exact thing. would it make the a$$ of the bike look hiked up?

I'm so conflicted. 1/2 of you say 'do it' the other half say 'don't'

I don't NEED it lower. I CAN park and stop and all that good stuff. I just WANTED it lower to get more of my foot down for parking and sitting at red lights but not at the cost of how the bike handles. And I do "one foot it". I don't have a choice, really.

and I LIKE the shock at 1. I asked him to do that... isn't that a rider's choice anyway? and our bikes dont have a 'dog bone' so lowering the rear isn't really an option without cutting into the frame and getting a new shock. which I am not willing to do.

Maybe I'll just say "f*ck it" and get new rear sets instead....
I'm a chronic 'fuck with it' kinda guy or at least used to be on a massive scale. My truck, guitars, amps, previous bikes, guns, etc., I just had to tweek stuff to make it more 'me'. Yes it's fun and sometimes results in improvements but eventually I did learn to calm down some.

In my opinion I'm trusting that the same engineers that designed and built our killer Fizzers decided the forks should be were they are for a reason so again I say in my opinion I'd leave it as is.

·
Saratogian
3,627 Posts
I don't get the "they designed it that way" school of thought. Any design involves compromises (as previously discussed). Our bike was not designed with the race track in mind so this mod (within a range) simply shifts the intended use more in that direction. It's just a bike...it's not some mysterious object with only one safe setting.

gboezio said:
Lol just wanted to give an example of bad things that could happens, but still some bikes don't respond well to these changes and shit happens, so I felt I had to warn
Fair enough. :cheers

·
Registered
432 Posts
DefyInertia said:
I don't get the "they designed it that way" school of thought. Any design involves compromises (as previously discussed). Our bike was not designed with the race track in mind so this mod (within a range) simply shifts the intended use more in that direction. It's just a bike...it's not some mysterious object with only one safe setting.

Fair enough. :cheers
Maybe for some folks leaving geometry angles and such 'as is' is best. Not everyone is doing track time or can notice every mm of change whereas some swear they do.

Reading the OP's first post it looks like she's relying on the shop to do the tweaks so unless she doesn't mind going back and forth and back and forth or wants to invest in tools to do it herself leaving some things 'as is' makes perfect sense.

·
R6S Crash Cushion
1,392 Posts
Miss Em said:
no, they aren't charging me. and that's a good point. if it's an easy fix if I don't like then I will just change it back. or, have them do it, rather.

and it'll handle better?? is that even possible? after being on a cruiser this feels like driving a fully-automatic sports car. I didn't think corners could GET any tighter.
Changing the front fork height is pretty simple.

Need:
8mm & 10mm allens

Steps:
1) Put the bike on center stand on a flat, smooth, level surface.
2) Put about 100 lbs. of weight on seat. Either have someone hold the bike down or place a thick towel or blanket (to prevent scratching) on the passenger seat and place 50 lb. bags manure or 30 lb. cinder blocks or other weights until you can press down rear and have the weight balance the front wheel.
3) Loosen slightly the lower triple bolts (2 of them in green coating) from underneath. You'll see them right next to the horn.
4) Loosen the upper triple bolts (2 of them, they're smaller than the lower triple bolts). Be careful to only loosen slightly. The forks will want to drop out of the top triple.
5) Then adjust the forks up through the top triple and lightly tighten. I currently have my forks set at about 1.5" (though I also have the stiffer R6 forks). Others will notice a difference with as little as a 1/4" drop on the stock FZ6 forks. I wouldn't go lower than about 1" for fear of bottoming out the stock forks.
6) Measure to make sure both sides are even.
7) Repeat 5-6 until you get the desired height.
8) Tighten all 4 bolts.
9) Gently remove weight and test ride.
10) Repeat 1-9 until desired results achieved.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Lowered mine 10mm when I swapped forks. I liked it better this way but I probably wouldn't go any lower myself as I'm 6 feet tall and it turns in just fine.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
well they did it but the guy said they only wanted to do it 1/2" so it wouldn't mess with sh!t too much. I took it on in some sweeping curves and it did feel more...'interested' in them than it did before. If that makes any sense. And at red lights and what not it is easier to sit there with just one foot down.

Attachments

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
mbodell said:
wow, 1/2 an inch doesn't make a huge difference, you guys are gonna scare her. 1 inch wouldn't even be too much of an issue. She doesn't look like a porker ,so I don't think with the stock springs she will have to worry about bottoming out.
You might want to get a lower rear shock, one of the guys on here (lilcurverider) here did this . It may be worth looking into since you can get an r6 shock cheap. If you lower both ends it will keep the bike very similar to stock.

Edit: Killernoodle, with mine lowered 1 1/2 in the front, the stock kickstand is fine.
I've got the r6 rear shock and the bike sits a little too vertically when on the stand for my taste. I have to be very careful parking it on even the slightest slope because of this.

The R6 rear shock drops the rear end quite a bit.

·
butt marker
1,715 Posts
With only the front dropped, the kickstand is similar to stock. It makes sense that if you lower the rear the kickstand is gonna be closer to the ground. I assumed you were talking about lowering only the front. my bad.

·
I got your Back Marker!
244 Posts
Good writeup oso2k.
A couple of things to keep in mind:
It the allen bolts are 6mm on top and 8mm on the bottom.
The horn is in the way on the throttle side, you can bend it out of the way a little if you are careful or use a 10mm wrench to remove it temporarily.
Do not over tighten the allen head bolts when snugging it all back up the final time, it can easily bind the springs inside the forks. The FSM calls for 22 ft lbs, that is not much.

I have an inch of fork above the top clamp and like the added turn in. Just be careful if you do it, you don't want to "induce a unrecoverable spin since your rear tire barely contact the ground," :lao

·
I got your Back Marker!
244 Posts
As in stoppie 360's? Hmmm

I would like to say the smillie fingers were a nice touch, I might of been uglier to a poster that razzed me as I did you.
But seriously, do you think a fork adjusment will cause such catastrophic handling differences? Stock, this is a very stable bike. I think a worst you might be a little less stable at extreme speed due to the reduced rake.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts