Sport Bikes banner

Do you feel that your bike's horn is effective/loud?

• Yes, I'm happy with my horn's output!

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • It's okay, I don't feel it's too loud or too soft.

Votes: 19 19.8%
  • Nope. I don't like my horn, its not loud at all.

Votes: 48 50.0%
  • Never use my horn / other.

Votes: 12 12.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a fan of my bike's horn. Whenever I see a cager pull out a little too far, looking the other way, I just have to tap my bikes horn and their head whips around and they don't pull out.

My MSF instructor said not to rely on the horn exclusively because they're usually under powered. Out of all the cars I've owned, my bike's horn is the loudest and gets everybody's attention, real quick.

Do you like the decibel output of your horn?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
My horn sounds gay, I think I want to get one of those air horns Cheech and Chong had in "Up In smoke" You know the horn I'm talking about. Usaully if I see something that could be become dangerous, I just rev the shit out of the bike and that usally gets there attention. Those Muzzy's are loud :pisson

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
My horn isnt loud at all. I usually rev and that gets their attention. I do use the horn on some occasions they rarely ever hear it though. Either way Im always prepared to make a collision avoidance manuever.

·
Registered
910 Posts
There is no need for one on a mc. Riding in any way that makes allowances for the fact that one exists is a very poor plan.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I use the horn occassionally (sometimes when my glove gets carried away while I'm shutting off the signal).

Mine is annoying enough that everyone nearby stares at me so I'm sure its effective.

As to a horn sounding gay - a friend of mine found a different horn relay for his 600rr and it made the tone a bit deeper. Now he just honks at us to show off. You may look into something like that. Just get a horn relay at a parts store.

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
for the most part i think blowing on the horn on a bike does a couple things
A- takes time away from actually avoiding the situation
B- Can make the cager freeze because thier first instinct is to find the sound, not realizing its purpose
C- is essentially useless if you are riding correctly- because you would use it when you are about to be hit (so you should be swerving or braking) or you would use it when you have shitty lane position and therefore should probably been in a different place to begin with (check your riding habits)

Obviously that doesnt cover every single situation in the world, but I drive in Orlando FL... and my horn has never actually helped me avoid a situation, mostly i just use it to show the other driver im aggrivated, which is really unnecessary

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hanglowejohnson said:
Obviously that doesnt cover every single situation in the world, but I drive in Orlando FL... and my horn has never actually helped me avoid a situation, mostly i just use it to show the other driver im aggrivated, which is really unnecessary
True. It freezes them. That's pretty much why I use it. If I'm coming to an intersection and there's two vehicles, one on the left and the other on the right, both at stop signs, they start to edge out a bit. Sometimes I catch them looking in the opposite direction of me. So I'll sound my horn. Does two things:

1. Freezes them. The car's weight is pushed forward and jerks to a small 1 MPH stop.

2. They'll look at me. That's what I want; to stay safe they need to see and recognize that there's a bike headed their way.

I've done it maybe half a dozen times. It seems to work for the most part.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<hijack (yup, my own post)>

hanglowejohnson: What's up with the negative points?

</hijack>

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
mikem317 said:
<hijack (yup, my own post)>

hanglowejohnson: What's up with the negative points?

</hijack>

dude, i got no idea lol

but i got tons in the bank so i just let them sit.... makes me feel different and exciting! lol

·
Old enough to be your dad
99 Posts
120 DB horn. Modulating headlight. Bright reflective colthes. Got it all. They all help a little. I still ride like I am invisable, because to most retards behind a wheel I am.

Also pocket pull of 2" washers so they'll pay more attention next time.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
hanglowejohnson said:
for the most part i think blowing on the horn on a bike does a couple things
B- Can make the cager freeze because thier first instinct is to find the sound, not realizing its purpose
In most cases this is exactly what you want them to do. Especially at intersections or cars that are about to pull out in front of you. You blow they stop and look, not pullling out in front of you. The only problem is alot of the time they dont even hear it. Thats really what this thread is about.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
yes, I feel at slower speeds the horn IS effective, I was riding today and some ass started to pull out in front of me, I saw him and just knew he was gonna pull out so I slowed down and sure enough he started to pull out, I hit the horn and the old non-driving fool sees me and slams his brakes on and goes on giving me a look enough to kill.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
I am considering hooking up as siren/air horn...hehehe...da bastards!!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I found occassion to wail on my horn today when some old guy in a 4Runner forgot that lane splitting is illegal here and invited himself right on over.
I drop back to avoid being sideswiped and then honked away. He did try to signal an appology - or some form of sign language for "mine's b***** so move".

1 - 20 of 38 Posts