Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We are running an introductory offer promotion until February 28th on our sprockets. Enter the code "introductory offer" without the quotes in the checkout to recieve 25% off the normal price.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
hm, really not that bad of a price. a rear sprocket for my bike is 200 bucks in town anyway. . . .

and the vfr could use a new one. Too bad it's not available.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Quite a bit softer than carbon steel isn't it? 36 HRC for that alloy as far as I can google. Would assume even low alloy steel ones would be a lot harder unless annealed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quite a bit softer than carbon steel isn't it? 36 HRC for that alloy as far as I can google. Would assume even low alloy steel ones would be a lot harder unless annealed.
Yes they are 36c on the rockwell hardness. I don't know what grades everyone else uses because they don't put that information up unless it's a 7075 aluminum sprocket which is butter compared to the hardness of the Ti I use

·
Registered
9,277 Posts

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
a good(driven etc) anodized(important) alum rear should yield most people 10k miles average for $60-70. $300 is a huge pill to swallow. especially since most bikes are gone by time they wear out 2-3 sprockets.
I'm too cheap to buy one lol I'm sure you'll sell some for sure. someone might love the idea of a sprocket that will outlast the bike.
I do applaud the machinist in you as I am currently employed as one.

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
Did some dyno testing today and got a 1.1 hp increase over the stock sprocket also I took some pics of one of our 520 sprockets with 8,000 miles on it off of a 07 gsxr 1000 so you can see the wear or lack there of

Kudos to trying to reinvent the wheel but $300 is too spendy when a much cheaper steel sprocket will do just fine. If I wanted to gain 1.1 hp I could take a shit and save $300.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Kudos to trying to reinvent the wheel but $300 is too spendy when a much cheaper steel sprocket will do just fine. If I wanted to gain 1.1 hp I could take a shit and save $300.
I am more concerned with the extra mileage, if it does that good. I don't mind dropping extra for longer lasting parts. Truck's getting a 450 dollar fluidampr instead of a 300 dollar OEM replacement. works better, lasts longer. what's not to like?

if they really do last longer, I'll buy one. Hell I'll see about getting a group buy going on VRFD to drop the price down a bit. 200 bucks for a cool little piece of awesome that lasts longer?

easy choice for me. And sprockets on the VFR are fuck all to change. no axle no shims to alignments nothing. 5 bolts or however many there are and off she comes. nothing to it.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I am more concerned with the extra mileage, if it does that good. I don't mind dropping extra for longer lasting parts. Truck's getting a 450 dollar fluidampr instead of a 300 dollar OEM replacement. works better, lasts longer. what's not to like?

if they really do last longer, I'll buy one. Hell I'll see about getting a group buy going on VRFD to drop the price down a bit. 200 bucks for a cool little piece of awesome that lasts longer?

easy choice for me. And sprockets on the VFR are fuck all to change. no axle no shims to alignments nothing. 5 bolts or however many there are and off she comes. nothing to it.
Sprocket that was on the F4i when I crashed had 15kish on it and still looked brand new. One before that was probably around 20k and didn't really need to be replaced, but I needed a new chain (lost some o-rings due to poor maintenance) so I just replaced the whole set. front/rear/chain was like 200 bucks.

I could see the potential for track days though since it sounds like it would last longer than an aluminum rear and it's lighter than a steel sprocket.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Guys don't be too mean to one of our few sponsors :p
Price some square titanium stock, it's expensive as heck. I just priced a 12x12x0.25 sheet online, not sure the specific alloy but they want $366!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guys don't be too mean to one of our few sponsors :p
Price some square titanium stock, it's expensive as heck. I just priced a 12x12x0.25 sheet online, not sure the specific alloy but they want $366!
The material is ridiculously expensive I wish it was cheaper so I could lower the price.

·
Registered
743 Posts
The material is ridiculously expensive I wish it was cheaper so I could lower the price.
Wonder how skimpy you could go with one of the fancy super steels. Something like S7 shock steel or even L6 that remain tough at higher hardnesses. Removing more material and using a reinforced design to reduce weight. I know nothing about sprockets though, I just make knives for fun. They're a lot more expensive than 1045 but way cheaper than titanium.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Sprocket that was on the F4i when I crashed had 15kish on it and still looked brand new. One before that was probably around 20k and didn't really need to be replaced, but I needed a new chain (lost some o-rings due to poor maintenance) so I just replaced the whole set. front/rear/chain was like 200 bucks.

I could see the potential for track days though since it sounds like it would last longer than an aluminum rear and it's lighter than a steel sprocket.
hm. .. . maybe I am doing something wrong.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts