Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just since last Saturday in Northwest. Be safe out there.

3 riders lost (RIP). 1 19yr old, 1 24 yr old. And 2 more.

3+ riders down. Including an totalled R1 I was with last Sat.

Random News.
http://www.kingcountyjournal.com/si...ory/html/209337

#!
A 24-year-old Roy man died late Thursday after the 2005 Suzuki motorcycle he was riding collided with a truck near Yelm, the Washington State Patrol reported.

The driver of the 2001 Ford pickup, 38-year-old Joe F. Frazzini of Yelm, was not injured in the accident, which occurred in the intersection at 123rd Avenue and Morris Road.

The motorcyclist was wearing a helmet at the time of the accident. His name has not been released pending notification of his next of kin.

#2

King County Sheriff's patrol car collides with motorcylist

07:38 AM PDT on Friday, June 10, 2005

Associated Press and KING Staff Reports

SNOQUALMIE, Wash. - A King County sheriff’s patrol car collided with a motorcycle around midnight just off I-90 near Snoqualmie, Wash., closing down Exit 27 for several hours.

The motorcycle rider was unconscious when he was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.

The driver of the car, a sheriff’s sergeant, was not seriously injured but he was taken to the same hospital to be checked.

Why the sergeant collided with the motorcyclist was still unknown; officers say he wasn’t on a chase. The 17-year veteran with the sheriff’s department may have been traveling at high speeds: his car left skid marks several feet long before sliding into the bushes.

Exist 27 and eastbound I-90 re-opened early Friday.
 

·
V-twin anyone?
Joined
·
2,161 Posts
Tell me about it. I had two close calls today alone!

First one- I was stopped at a red light...waiting, waiting, waiting...ah green, yes! So I proceed after a slight delay and this driver starts to take off on my left when he/she should've waited for his/her green light. So, thankfully, knowing full well I have some torque under my ass now, I give it some and stare for a second at that driver while I pass his path. I was pretty relaxed at the whole situation though. All four corners saw that one for sure!

Second attempt- I was following a Xterra and I was making my way to the left turn lane, when he slowly creeps in. I usually stay to the very left in these situations and I guess he saw me in his sideview. I hit the brakes, he waits for me ( how nice ) and I rev it up two times in front of him to show my appreciation for his lack of attention.

I didn't give out any free fingers today, thankfully, but yes, please be aware of your surroundings and make yourself visible.
 

·
Ride Naked
Joined
·
3,324 Posts
Tell me about it. EVERY DAY here in sunny Florida "tis the season". We've got more than our fair share of idiots on the road to watch out for. Add to that the legions of inexperienced (but not in their racer boy minds) idiot riders, and a daily commute is like an obstical course! :rolleyes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,525 Posts
Here in Massachusetts we have highway blinking overhead signs that say "Watch for motorcycles when changing lanes." Do you think it helps? Darn cagers really are oblivious to our presence... Be careful and be defensive! We're quick and small compared to cages and the mindset of cage drivers is that they are the quickest and will try to hog every inch of the freeway. Cagers that don't ride mis-judge how close and how fast a bike is going compared to a car and that makes us transparent. Have a great riding season everyone, and be "safe!" :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,206 Posts
I had to brake hard just tonight to avoid an SUV side swiping into me. They went through 2 lanes to get into the left hand turn lane at the last second (of course), they continued through the intersection running a red to make their turn after almost hitting me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
I damn near T-boned a dumb ass who decided to pull a U turn from the far right lane right in front of me.

The FZ6 can stoppie if anyone is wondering... Missed the car by less than an inch with the rear tire at least 2 feet in the air.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,335 Posts
segue00 said:
Here in Massachusetts we have highway blinking overhead signs that say "Watch for motorcycles when changing lanes." Do you think it helps? Darn cagers really are oblivious to our presence... Be careful and be defensive! We're quick and small compared to cages and the mindset of cage drivers is that they are the quickest and will try to hog every inch of the freeway. Cagers that don't ride mis-judge how close and how fast a bike is going compared to a car and that makes us transparent. Have a great riding season everyone, and be "safe!" :cheers
They don't see you because they're too busy reading the signs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
Have any of you bunnyhopped? I was fooled by glare at sunset (and lack of a turn signal!) and ended up hopping right up to this gals bumper. I don't think she even knew I was there. The guys in the truck behind me had a good laugh, but confirmed that she had stopped suddenly without warning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sad thing is most of these deaths were rider error. Stunting and racing on public streets.

I have done the bunny hop, don't want to do that again. A stoppie may have helped me avoid flying over a hood...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,525 Posts
karst said:
Have any of you bunnyhopped? I was fooled by glare at sunset (and lack of a turn signal!) and ended up hopping right up to this gals bumper. I don't think she even knew I was there. The guys in the truck behind me had a good laugh, but confirmed that she had stopped suddenly without warning.
Don't forget about the 2 second rule there.
 

·
Ride Naked
Joined
·
3,324 Posts
narcoden said:
I damn near T-boned a dumb ass who decided to pull a U turn from the far right lane right in front of me.
The FZ6 can stoppie if anyone is wondering... Missed the car by less than an inch with the rear tire at least 2 feet in the air.

Damn! Guess we can kiss that pair of pants goodbye! :lol Glad you made it out unscathed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
Too bad we don't have pictures of narcoden's stoppie. I think the 2 second rule saved my ass AND my panties. I do prefer to keep the dance moves for the club. Any hints as to braking technique? I think I got the front brake at about 25%, then started the rear. It felt like they both locked at the same moment, though that seems a bit unlikely. I think the strength of the front brake threw me forward a little, making me grip the bars harder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,335 Posts
karst said:
Too bad we don't have pictures of narcoden's stoppie. I think the 2 second rule saved my ass AND my panties. I do prefer to keep the dance moves for the club. Any hints as to braking technique? I think I got the front brake at about 25%, then started the rear. It felt like they both locked at the same moment, though that seems a bit unlikely. I think the strength of the front brake threw me forward a little, making me grip the bars harder.
During hard stops, the rear brake is all but useless.
This is more or less true for all sport bikes. The rear brake is really only used for low speed braking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
<grasshopper>You are wise. </grasshopper>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Do you want to shift back on your seat during hard braking...to keep the rear end down??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
narcoden said:
I damn near T-boned a dumb ass who decided to pull a U turn from the far right lane right in front of me.

The FZ6 can stoppie if anyone is wondering... Missed the car by less than an inch with the rear tire at least 2 feet in the air.
This same thing happend to me. My first stunt!!! :lao
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top