Sport Bikes banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally getting a motorcycle--1982 Honda Ascot FT500--and it's gonna need a little work. It's been sitting for a few years so it's going to need tires. Any reccommendations?

Being it's my first motorcycle and I'm just learning to ride I guess I don't need anything high-tech, something that wont break the bank.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
323 Posts
depends on the size that your gonna need look into that first and just get a good compound for the climate your in new york so its hot in the summer and cool in the fall id say go with a decent set of dunlops with a medium compound to last you a little longer some of the softer tires like pilot races ive already gone thru two sets this summer.!

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
First - find out what size the Ascot takes - many bikes back then were running 16 inch wheels, which limits your choices somewhat...

Ryan - the Ascot is a good starter bike - e-bay will be your friend for parts, and concentrate on making it mechanically sound - don't worry about appearance, and it will be a good bike to learn on!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tire sizes:
3.5x19 up front and
4.25x18 in the back...

I also called a local honda dealer, and he quoted me at about $140 for the tires, install, and balancing. Is that good?

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
140 for tires doesn't sound bad, but I have no idea how bike those tires are compared to my metric measured ones. Get some Pirelli Diablo Corsa's :D. I'd stay away from Dunlops, they don't seem to stick for shit compared to Pirelli or Michelin.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Look, sorry to rain on everyones parade, but the ascot's tire sizes are sure not availiable in pirelli supercorsas, or basically any high performance tires.

I am glad you decided to go with a smaller older bike, and the ascot is an excellent choice. It is a jack of all trades; it does everything you will need it to do, without braking the bank... and it has no fairings either (which is a good thing for obvious reasons).

Put a set of Bridgestone BT45 battleaxes on it. They will last forever, and they will grip well for the Ascot.

Seriously man, I started off on a small old early 80's bike, and these are the best (and nearly cheapest) you can put on your bike.

·
Registered
732 Posts
matt365 said:
Put a set of Bridgestone BT45 battleaxes on it. They will last forever, and they will grip well for the Ascot.
Good choice. I have a 1983 Nighthawk that had Dunlop Qualifier's on it when I bought it. It was my first bike, so I didn't really have anything to compare the tires to (I now know that they sucked). I replaced them with a set of Michelin Macadam's and the bike was transformed. The Macadam's are extremely confidence inspiring and behave very well in wet weather.

The Bridgestones mentioned above also have a great reputation, so I don't think you'd regret either purchase.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Wow, the Ascott was my first street bike...actually was a friends bike that I rode all the time. Nothing like the POWER of a 500 thumper. I know it will go at least 90MPH. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts