Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Looking for some input (as always) on tires for my upcoming track day. I run pilots on the street. And my current set is fairly new. Was originally planning on taking those right onto the track. But my mechanic suggested that I don't use the same tires at the track that I'm planning to use on the street/canyons afterwards. He says they will never heat up the same after being run on the track.

So here are my thoughts: Put on Q2s before track day (early enough to break them in). Local place will sell the set for $170. Run them at the track. Then put the pilots back on after track day.

Any thoughts? Does this sound like a good idea or overkill? Do you guys ever run tires on the street after doing a track day? I'll be at Streets of Willow which I hear is small/technical as opposed to real high speed. This is my first so I'll probably be MUCH more worn after than my tires will. lol.

Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also...

Oh! And, if you guys think this is a good idea, is it safe to save the Q2s for my next track day, (assuming I don't turn into Rossi Jr. and tear them to shreds) lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sounds like homeboy wants paid for the tire install. I run Q2s and they did just fine street & track when I rode track. What pilots are on your bike? ss? 2CT? Power 3? Road?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like homeboy wants paid for the tire install. I run Q2s and they did just fine street & track when I rode track. What pilots are on your bike? ss? 2CT? Power 3? Road?
I'm running 2CTs. Love them. The thought had crossed my mind, but he's pretty chill. I think he may think I'm much better than I really am. I probably wont put much of a dent on the pilots... Funny thing is I'm just going to have the shop I'm buying the tires from install them. So he wouldn't have done them anyway.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
I've used my street tires on several street bikes for track days. I've never had a problem. If you're asking the question, you're probably not needing that additional stickiness.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Well I think $170 for a set of Q2's is a steal and you should buy them.

As far as running your street tires on the track then back on the street and them "not heating up again" .....OMG are people really this dumb still.... (the advice giver "mechanic" guy.)

There may be some falloff in tire performance, but there always is on all tires as soon as you ride on them. How much and will it be noticeable...probably very little and no you won't be able to notice.

Ride on either set on the track and the street. But the Q2 price is a steal even if the Q3 is to be out this upcoming week.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've always been told take it easy first 50 miles on new tires, never heard problems with going from streets to track and back to street. I know people that drag with their regular tires lol. That shit eats them fast.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Is this your first track day? If so run the tyres you normally ride on the street at the track. Why? you are used to them you have a fair idea what to expect, new unfamiliar tyres will leave you constantly second guessing which is not what you want.

You will accelerate the wear but generally its the sides that will get hammered and depending on when an where you ride its the middle that wears out on the street, street tyres are designed to take numerous heat cycles over varying conditions, track tyres tend to be able to take larger heat cycles but not with such great variations in conditions.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks!

Aaaaannnnd.......... This is why I came to the forum. Thanks, guys. Definitely going to run the Pilots. Although I think I will take your advice, rivers, and still pick up the set of Dunlops. I wouldn't mind comparing the two tires once these Pilots are done and having an unbiased opinion between the two.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Is this your first track day? If so run the tyres you normally ride on the street at the track. Why? you are used to them you have a fair idea what to expect, new unfamiliar tyres will leave you constantly second guessing which is not what you want.

You will accelerate the wear but generally its the sides that will get hammered and depending on when an where you ride its the middle that wears out on the street, street tyres are designed to take numerous heat cycles over varying conditions, track tyres tend to be able to take larger heat cycles but not with such great variations in conditions.
The first paragraph is my philosophy. Good point in the second, about the side not wearing as much for most street riders. Even when I did a lot of canyon time, the centers usually wore more than the sides.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The Michelin guy at one of the track days I attended last year said street tires are good for ~12 heat cycles. A heat cycle being 130 degrees. After that, they start to lose grip even of there is still rubber on the tire.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
The Michelin guy at one of the track days I attended last year said street tires are good for ~12 heat cycles. A heat cycle being 130 degrees. After that, they start to lose grip even of there is still rubber on the tire.
How much to they lose? Scientifically they lose grip with every second of aging. The significance of the changes tires go through change based on the riders ability.

about two years ago bought a motorcycle with its original 2006 tires on them...they served their purpose pretty good, even on the canyons.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I am not saying the guy is full of it but HE IS FULL OF IT! If this was true then I would need to replace my tires every 2 weeks during the summer. I am positive that when we hit 105 or 110 then my tires are over 130 without much effort at all. Even when it is only 80-90 outside I am sure my tires get over 130 with regular street riding if im out over an hour which is just about every day.

Ride the tires you have now on the track if they have some life left on em. I will say though when you go to the Q2s you will probably never want to go back to the PP 2CT. I loved the PP 2CT but the Q2 is much better.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
How old are your Pilots? If they're older than "dman near brand new" I'd get a new set for the track day. Q2s or Pilots will be fine. There's nothing like the feel of new tires on the track. It's boner-inducing.

And yeah, you can ride them on the street no problem.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tire Pics

I had to do one long trip right after I got them, now that I think about it, so they may be worn in the middle a little more than I would have liked them to be. But since then, I have only done a few hundred miles, only half of that being what I consider "hard' riding through the canyons. Here's a pic so you all can get an idea of where they are in life.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Me, id go with Q2's for the track, and put those back on for commuting.

You may not outride the 2CT's, but the Q2s will give you a larger margin for error.

Q2's have a much greater lean angle as well.

·
Registered
245 Posts
First TD run what you got on there. Chances are you won't be dragging elbow just yet so no need to step up from 2CT. One word of advice, I would check with the org and or local guys about what pressures they run. It's not a huge deal but if you start ripping it later in the day and your running too low or something the tires might wear a little faster than normal or just plain not work right Set pressure first thing in the morning then check it a few times during the day as soon as you can once off the track. First TD you probably could set them at 30 in the morning the forget about but it's a good habit to check pressures throughout the day because they will change. And for scrubbing in new tires a lap or two will do the trick no problem. Your going to have soo much fun you will barely be able to stand it, riding street will never be the same so be ready to dig deep into that bank account :)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts