Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

so for me it is that time to get new tires for the bike....

I have heard and read mixed reviews from people all over and from different sport bikes....

I would like to start this thread to see what people use, how long they last, how the grip is, and any other helping features.

I personally don't track ride, but i usually make longer trips if i go somewhere. 95% of my riding is done back in fourth to work, but i make the 100 mile ride every now and then and have plans to go further.

So if you would please post what tires you have and how you like them i would be greatful!!

I was recommended Pirella Angel ST's, but have been told that Conti's, or 2CT would be good also... just looking for the best bang for the buck, but i also want them to last for a while!

Thanks,

Tino

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also want to know if i go from a 120/65-ZR17 to a 120/60-ZR17 is that gonna be a big difference? of should i go up to a 120/70-ZR17? trying to do research but all these numbers are starting to run together.... looing at conti montions.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I run Conti Motions 120/70 and 180/55 with no problems. They seem to wear well and are not expensive
Okay, i think i was gonna go up to a 70 but i didnt know how it would affect riding, i dont ride super hard, but take a lot of long curves.... since where i live in ga is hills.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
70 is a taller profile so it turns in better.
I use Q2's for street/track. Got 10k miles out of a set.
Nice. That for doesnt seem bad.

Dumb question, but can u explain turn in? Idk If that is a grip thing or if it sounds like what it means ( to turn into the turn)? Still learning.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, well i think im gonna go with the Conti Motions, just because i found a good deal for both tires. plus gonna get new pads and install my SS lines.

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Smaller the sidewall, the lower it puts the front of the bike. In other words, a 65 *should* cause the bike to turn in faster than a 70. Unless you ride aggressive, it is unlikely you will notice that much. Regardless, finding the non-standard front tire sizes can be a chore, and can limit tire choices. I would not be shy to experiment and move away from the OEM sized front.

You can compensate from the change in the bike's geometry when substituting tire profiles by raising or lowering the forks in the triple tree. I never have, I just take things easy until I adjust for the tire change. If you are a hard core track day guy, the wrong tires could throw off your times. For the street - eh...not so much.

Aside from the stock Dunlop 208s, I have ran Conti Road Attacks, Pirelli Diablo Rossos, Dunlop Sportmax Q2s, and most recently - Michelin Pilot Road 2s. The Pilot Road 2s have over 5k miles on them from my Utah touring trip and they likely will last at least another 4k or more. I leaned the bike as hard as I ever have, and so problems with traction. The others lasted around 3k if I was lucky.

They do seem to have a more 'pointed' profile, because the bike turns in faster with them than the other tires. It took some getting used to, but I'd buy them again honestly.

·
5,547 Posts
Conti Motions are good tires. So are the Conti Road Attacks and Road Attack 2's. I have been running a Conti Sport Attack front and a Conti Road Attack rear for years. I like the feel of the softer compound of the Sport Attack on the front. And the harder compound of the Road Attack on the rear which allows more miles out the rear.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow your up early! and i think i will be satisfied with what i wanna do. just everyday normal riding. oh and im about to get new brake pads and put them on. and the SS lines also. following your directions!

·
5,547 Posts
Just so you know ss lines are overkill for street.

And you are ???? I have had S/S lines on my ZZR since 2006. They have given the bike consistent safe braking over the years.

·
5,547 Posts
So I see youre mod... you delete my post or what? Lol
And you are? Was a question and not meant in any other way. Perhaps you should have some data on stock brake lines and S/S lines to back up your statement that S/S lines are overkill for street riding. Instead of some guy said........Have a great day and thanks for shopping at Walmart:)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well I apologize. I thought you were trying to be a doucher.
I have the data in my head and hand. I've used both. No doubt ss lines are better, but do you not agree under normal street riding they are overkill? The fluid doesn't get hot enough for them to fade imo. Some good fuid and pads will help a lot. Ss lines aren't cheap. I was simply letting him know that if he wanted to he could use that money for something else he may want

Oh and to the op, I see you're in warner robins. Pm me if you ever wanna ride; I'm about 40 min north of you

·
Registered
164 Posts
how the heck did u get 10k miles out of a set?
On that set it was 99% comuter miles and never saw much hard acceleration or anything. Kept 33 psi in them and checked it every ride. Prly helped that most of those miles were loged over the winter so the tire never got to hot.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts