Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lost traction from the front or back a number of times. For a number of reasons. Everything from breaking to hard for cagers running in front of me, running through a puddle before I have to turn, to accidentally shifting a gear to low and the revs shooting up and the back end comming out.

So do you people on supersports have this problem?

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
I have only lost traction in the rain while accelerating too hard. If I grab a handful of front brake the rear has a tendancy to lock up and skid but I have learned not to use the rear brake better. I've never lost traction while on clean, dry roads even when dragging a footpeg with a passenger on back doing about 65mph.......pucker facter was at max while trying not to smack the guard rail....

·
Lowlife
7,019 Posts
The 250 is a little squirrely when downshifting becasue of the engine braking. Slow down after running through a puddle.........it makes your tires wet, hence...less traction..Dont grab at the front brake either....

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
nothing to bad other than getting on the gas too hard

·
old member
13,079 Posts
What you're experiencing is part of the learning curve. These little "events" will help in developing muscle control, reflexes, and coordination that will make all of this smoother over time. This is also part of the reason why most folks recommend bikes with smaller engines to new riders. All of what you are describing would be magnified on a 100 hp 600ss with a more twitchy suspension and brakes. Get these "brain farts" out of your system before you get on a b***** bike with more potential to do you harm. Just get out there and ride (safe).

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ray that makes me glad I started small.

The only one that kinda worries me is how easy it is to do from 0-25mph when on the gas and leaned over. It doesn't worry me that it's out of control, but that it's so easy to swing the back out like that. I'm starting to be able to do this at will with the bike but I stay away from doing it since it would be so easy to fall over:p It is kinda fun lol.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
When I was in my first week of riding, I locked up my rear wheel 9 out of 10 times on every downshift. I was in the dirt but I learned about tire traction real quick and how to react. It's saved me a few times when riding the street.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Josh D said:
I've never lost traction other than scraping something or hitting dirt/gravel while leaned over.
Your not pushing the bike hard enough (just kidding). Just give it a little time and you'll slide the front / rear a little while leaned over (hopefully you want crash).

Everyone else needs to follow what Dunlop says, "Trust your tires" and you should not slide and crash :lao

1 - 11 of 11 Posts