Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got a new front tire. Being as most of my riding is straight line, I went w/ a dunlop 220. The rear is a 207, and slightly worn, ~1200mi. or so. Anyway, at about 130 mph, Im getting a slight, VERY slight weave, nothing scary or "tank slapperish", just a weave that wasnt there before. Im thinking either 1) the tire isnt balanced perfectly, or 2) the combo of a slightly worn rear and a new front puts more weight on the rear. If #2 is the case, should I increase the preload a couple of clicks in the rear?

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts
dont do 130 and you wont notice it....

·
Banned
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ordie said:
dont do 130 and you wont notice it....
riiiight.. cuz youve never gone 130, right?

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts
sure I have..... but how long are you gonna stay at 130+ MPH for the weave to affect anything..

so..... dont go 130 and you wont feel it.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
seriously, you've got no business doing 130 on any public road, if you're racing (on a road course or 1/4 mile track of course) it's a whole different story. I'm sorry this isn't the answer you were looking for, but it is the RIGHT answer, and the answer you need to hear.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Shoe on a new set of tires. There might be a little miss match in the profiles and at high speeds it shows up. Gp's will do that brand new on some bikes and I heard the 001's did it to. In this case, I bet it's just the tires. That's the answer your looking for....right??? :))

·
Banned
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
firefighter81 said:
seriously, you've got no business doing 130 on any public road, if you're racing (on a road course or 1/4 mile track of course) it's a whole different story. I'm sorry this isn't the answer you were looking for, but it is the RIGHT answer, and the answer you need to hear.
If I wanted this answer, I would have asked my mom the fucking question.

·
Banned
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EA6BMECH said:
Shoe on a new set of tires. There might be a little miss match in the profiles and at high speeds it shows up. Gp's will do that brand new on some bikes and I heard the 001's did it to. In this case, I bet it's just the tires. That's the answer your looking for....right??? :))
Thank you. An answer from someone who can actually read, and doesnt go into a diatribe about how doing 130 is "so unsafe".

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's that 220, dude. There's so much tire that it all wants to touch down. Go back to a 180 and you'll be happy and straight at 165.

·
Registered
569 Posts
jasonf said:
It's that 220, dude. There's so much tire that it all wants to touch down. Go back to a 180 and you'll be happy and straight at 165.
Wha??? 220 is not the aspect ratio of the tire, it's the actual model of tire produced by Dunlop.

I had the same problem right after I got my Avon ST A45/46 combo installed. At about 80 mph the bike had this horrid weave to it, any faster and it become dangerous. I brought it back to the place I had the tires installed to get the balance checked and everything was fine. Called Avon and they said to put a few heat cycles in them and the weave will disappear. Basically the tires were out of round due to the way they had been stored, after being heated and cooled a few times they conform to the wheel and become round.

After a few rides the problem went away.

...yeah, and to you people who think 130 is fast? 130 mph is nothing. I cruise at 130 mph if the conditions allow for it. So yeah, it's important to me that my bike rides straight all the way up to top speed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think the term "street" can be used a little loosly here. I've been 160 on the "the street" but it was a back road. Even if I did take it up to a buck, there is usually nothing around but a deer I haven't seen yet. Hey Ordie, are you a "BB stacker"?? Jarhead type?? Just wondering.. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts