Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have had bad luck with a tire patch on any of your bikes? I have a small pin hole in my back tire that I wanted patched and spent about 3 hours this morning trying to find a place that would do it. It ended up being this little hole in the wall good ol' boy shop that is doing it. I've probably driven by it 10 times and never noticed it. Hes got a nice setup too....tire balancer and all (most of the big bike shops here don't even have those, they say 'its not necessary'.....my ass!) Anyway, ever other place had this bogus line about liability issues and that you should just buy a new tire. My tire isn't even close to half used up yet. I have had a few flats over the years and never heard such bull! What is everyone else's experience with this matter?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jim schmidt said:
An outside plug is dicey. But a properly applied inside patch will not leak. You're right about the BS, BTW.
I agree, a plug should only be used in an emergency and will probably be followed my a new tire being installed. But in this case, I was looking for an inside patch. I think its just that all these big shops here in Kansas City think that everyone is to dumb to know better sometimes. Every once in a while I try to deal with them on something and everytime they piss me off. Thats Ok though, Metric Powersports was born on July 1st, I'm going to do my best to cause ripples around here!

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
I just recently found a nail in my rear tire. Not a nice sight! So I took it to a local shop and they plugged it up with a "mushroom" plug, from the inside. It's my second plug from them and so far, so good.

I'll do it again if they can. If the hole is near the side, I'd just buy a new one. If the hole is near the center where all the meat is, I'd plug it. It's all up to you. Some wouldn't even consider plugging a bike tire, but I don't have tire sponsor so I plug it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have had two rear tires flats in the last month. ( Nails ) One of them near the side and the other dead center. Wound up buying two new tires. Mechanic refused to plug or patch them. Liability issue.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hams51 said:
..... but I don't have tire sponsor so I plug it.
:lol Well said!

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
How much did it cost to have it plugged? And wouldn't a tire repair kit bought from the auto parts store work as well?

My buddy who has a Ducati paid $80.00 bucks for a plug and they didn't even take the tire off, and no balancing-- I say he was jiffed!!!!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Just got a plug/CO2 kit to keep under the seat (up front, where it's cooler). The shop that sold it to me told me that if I had to use it, I should bring the bike in ASAP for a proper inside patch. We've got five or more largish shops around here, so if one starts jerking the customers around, customers can go to another shop.

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
It cost me $25 to have it plugged.

If on the go, the auto parts plug kit will work to get one home, but to ride with less worries, the mushroom plug is the ticket. It's plugged from the inside, and I think it's also glued onto the tire after the plug portion is inserted. Any patch job from the inside, and if done right, shouldn't be a problem.

I took the wheel off and just rolled it into the store btw. If they took off the wheel, then it would be slightly higher in cost.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
My travel kit is the mushroom type ($25 for the kit of three plugs). I wouldn't trust the ones that are just a loop of, what, tarred string?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Hams51 said:
It cost me $25 to have it plugged.

If on the go, the auto parts plug kit will work to get one home, but to ride with less worries, the mushroom plug is the ticket. It's plugged from the inside, and I think it's also glued onto the tire after the plug portion is inserted. Any patch job from the inside, and if done right, shouldn't be a problem.

I took the wheel off and just rolled it into the store btw. If they took off the wheel, then it would be slightly higher in cost.
Was tire re-balancing included?

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
I hope so. hehehe.

I'm sure they did though, they're good guys and wouldn't sell me short.

Karst- Where'd you get that kit? I might need to pick one up myself.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Beamer dealership: Satz kit, 71 11 2 332 083 (whatever that means). The senior parts guy is a friend of a friend.

You might be able to do better on price. I got it without pricing ahead because I was headed for some backroads where nails and pointy gravel are a real possibility, and there's no cell phone access.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Yeah, but the mushroom plugs require taking off the tire. Even though the other type are sketchy, at least you can use them from the outside of the tire (then limp to a shop).

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
That's not what I've heard. This plug is designed to be pushed in from the outside, and then the shoulders of the plug grip the inside of the tire.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts