Sport Bikes banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the most popular tires for our bikes? I have about 11k on my 05 (super fast blue) and am going to need to replace the Dunlop 208's that I put on last spring. I need something that is going to hold up to country roads in WV better than the 208's that also sticks reasonably well. Any input would be great.

05 FZ6, Scorpion CF slip-ons, Yamaha lower fairing, Fazr6 FE

·
Registered
309 Posts
I just had a set of Pirelli Diablo Strada's put on my bike. I only have 50km on them so far so I haven't really fully tested them. I had 21000km on the stock BT-020's. Initial impressions on the Pirelli's is that turn in seems a bit quicker, like it's more willing to lean, and takes less effort to get it to lean. They also feel softer. With the same air in the tires as before the Pirelli's feel less edgy over bumps.

·
FZ6 Corner Carver
12,159 Posts
id recommend the metzeler M3's good life... great traction dry or wet, and will hold the corner roads...ive read up alot and think ill go with them for awhile...

·
Registered
126 Posts
How on earth you get such high mileage with your tires? 11 k (miles I suppose) and 21,000 km on the stock BT-020!

I have about 6,500 km on stock BT-020's and it looks like I have to change the back tire at 7,000 km (about 4,400 miles). I check the tire pressure regularly and keep it at recommended values. I do not do any two up riding.

·
Registered
102 Posts
FZ6 Dude said:
id recommend the metzeler M3's good life... great traction dry or wet, and will hold the corner roads...ive read up alot and think ill go with them for awhile...
I spooned on the Metzeler Sportec M3's this winter, and only have about 300 miles on them but love them. They tip in a lot quicker than the stock dunlops, and grip is phenominal. The wear seems fine, but at only 300 its impossible to tell. For what its worth, www.swmototires.com offers free shipping when buying a pair of tires (front/back) and has great prices. I got my tires in one week from them.

·
FZ6 Corner Carver
12,159 Posts
yea i would recommend either them...^^^ or i found them on ebay shipped for around 240$ new... which is darn cheap...

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
11,000 miles???...Get whatever is on there already!!

I've the Dunlops, Corsas, and Powers, and maybe get 3K miles...

What are you running again?

·
Registered
309 Posts
L8 Braker said:
11,000 miles???...Get whatever is on there already!!

I've the Dunlops, Corsas, and Powers, and maybe get 3K miles...

What are you running again?
I would expect only 3000miles on Corsas or Powers.

I'm going to a 500km trip tommorrow I'll post up my impressions of the Stradas when I get back.

·
FZ6 Corner Carver
12,159 Posts
sounds good...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info. My initial question may have been confusing. The bike came with Dunlop 252's. They gave me about 7k miles before I replaced them. The 208's that went on last year have some life left after about 4k miles, however, the front is really cupping and is even showing some dry rot in the tread grooves. The bike is in a dry, controlled climate garage on stands that even sit on carpet. I guess I just don't trust the front anymore after seeing the dry rot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
after 6000 miles my stock 020s were cupping in the front. I replaced them with diablo stradas and at 5000 there is not cupping. These are the only two I have tried but I would buy the diablos again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the stock d252 dunlop sportmax and only done 4500 miles. The rear is good to be changed alreday!! I don't know how the hell you guys managed to do 7000 miles with the same set of tyres...anyway, i was thinking bt021 or the same, or even the m3's.....keep suggesting....Thanks!!

·
Born Again Rocker
887 Posts
That is a very good milage, I had 5k miles on my stock when the handling became less than desirable. I went for Continental Road Attacks, no real issues, but I ride like a wuss anyway!! :boink

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bass Man said:
That is a very good milage, I had 5k miles on my stock when the handling became less than desirable. I went for Continental Road Attacks, no real issues, but I ride like a wuss anyway!! :boink

Agreed. The stock were only good for 6000 miles. I went with the conti's and had 12,000 miles out of the rear and the front tyre is steal good for another 3000 miles.

I'd recommend them to anyone.

·
Registered
32 Posts
C_F said:
Agreed. The stock were only good for 6000 miles. I went with the conti's and had 12,000 miles out of the rear and the front tyre is steal good for another 3000 miles.

I'd recommend them to anyone.
How is the handling compared to the stock tires? I have about 5300 miles on my stock tires and am quite impressed with wear but those continentals sound even better.

·
Go-Cart Mozart
3,177 Posts
As much as I would like to say my tires are wore slap out from edge to edge, the reality of it is that commuting to work on the bike has flattened the center out and I am into the wearbars at 3750 miles.
Rural Alabama roads seem to made of sharp crushed rocks embedded into some sort of tarry goo that eats the hell out of tires. I still have decent tread on the sides, but I would rather spend the money to replace it a little early than go down for waiting too long.
I am replacing the Dunlop 208s with Pilot Powers. Not sure how they will hold up comparitively but most of what I hear says they will be fine. I will let you know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts