Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a stuipd question, so here goes.....I've recently noticed some pretty bad humming coming from what I assume is my tires. It's from about 40mph and up, it gets louder the faster I go. I have the factory Dunlop's w/ about 400 miles on them. Tire pressures are normal, and as far as I can tell the wheel bearings are good. Is this out of the ordinary, or is this something I just need to, for lack of a better word, ignore?? Thanx in advance for the help.

Dan

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
CooderBrown said:
This might be a stuipd question, so here goes.....I've recently noticed some pretty bad humming coming from what I assume is my tires. It's from about 40mph and up, it gets louder the faster I go. I have the factory Dunlop's w/ about 400 miles on them. Tire pressures are normal, and as far as I can tell the wheel bearings are good. Is this out of the ordinary, or is this something I just need to, for lack of a better word, ignore?? Thanx in advance for the help.

Dan
My guess is it is chain noise. Have you adjusted or had someone adjust your chain recently? It is probably too tight.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I second the chain noise nomination. However, I might put my 2cents in that the chain is too loose. Have you adjusted it since you got the bike home? It may have stretched. With only 400 miles, I dont' see why you would have taken it in for the 600mi service yet for the shop to have adjusted the tension :). The factory Dunlops are a pretty decent compound, and you say they're properly inflated, so there shouldn't be any cupping or other deformation for them to be causing the noise.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I reakon the chain too! my bike made some funny tail end noises coming up to my first service(wasn't quite sure what it was then!), which promtly disappeared after the service..so assume they redid my chain tension!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
ditto

Trust them, loosen your chain and itll go away and your bike will shift easier too.

I didnt believe these guys because I had already loosened my chain and it was still humming so one day I said wtf and went loosey goosey with it. My bike never felt better. I hope the sprocket didnt suffer from those first 1k miles.(ouch)

·
Registered
5 Posts
ditto

Trust them, loosen your chain and itll go away and your bike will shift easier too.

I didnt believe these guys because I had already loosened my chain and it was still humming so one day I said wtf and went loosey goosey with it. My bike never felt better. I hope the sprockets didnt suffer from those first 1k miles.(ouch)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll check the chain tonite. I did tighten it about 150 miles ago, but the humming was there before. If all else fails I'll just go w/ Fazer and go loosey goosey for a bit.

Hams, as far as I know we are the only ones. I seen one going south on I-44 between 36th and 23rd this evening. Other than that, it sounds like we are the coolest dudes in OKC. :D

Thanx for the help guys, I'll keep you posted on what happens.

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts