Sport Bikes banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I dunno
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soo I'm trying decide on what tires to get, read a butt load of threads, checked prices, read manufactures claims. So far I've come to this conclusion. Trying to pick an all around sport bike tire is kinda like deciding what pair of underwear to put on today. Well then the thought occurs to me why not make some sort of matrix (if you will) based on price, life, grip, dry handling, wet handling, maybe 1 or 2 other areas With a rating range of 0-5, 0 being least desirable, 5 being most desirable. So to do this I'm gonna need input from folks, I'm doing it on excell. Maybe if it turns out comprehensive enough it can get stickied?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Just read peoples reviews, take them with a grain of salt and go try some different brands/models. There is no way around finding which tires you want besides trying them.

·
I dunno
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Just read peoples reviews, take them with a grain of salt and go try some different brands/models. There is no way around finding which tires you want besides trying them.
you buyin? no?, BTW what was it about read a butt load of reviews, and the under wear comment you didn't you didn't get

How about postin up what you've tried, what you thought of em, the point is to try to make it a bit easier on others.

·
I dunno
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oreo what you using on the Tuono? You can't be on the factory tires.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Just like the above said. You just have to try them out youself. Sure, you can get what people think about a set of tires. Good points and bad. Then you'll get another group of people that will say the opposite of the same tire. Most of what your asking could be answered by the marketing hype of the mfg. Without knowing the riding abilities/experience of the "testers" you will never get a truely reliable answer.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
The problem is that this is a moving target. Prices change all the time, new tires are released and everybody has their own opinions on the tires they use. Most people will always say they love their current tires and that brand x, y, and z suck. Then there are compatibility issues. Some tires work great with some bikes and not so great with others. If a certain tire works fantastic in a 150 size on an SV650 on the track, it might not work so great on a ZX14 in a 200 size on the street. Factor in suspension settings, geometry settings, tire pressure settings, temperature, weight factors, environmental settings, individual abilities and preferences for handling characteristics, etc., your matrix becomes muddled pretty quick.

The best way to properly evaluate tires is to assemble all off the test subjects on the same day on the same bike over the same wide variety of conditions with several riders of varying capabilities. Then do it all over again on a different bike, and so on...

Good luck! :cheers

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I think he has a point though that a chart showing which tires are generally (notice I said generally) better for dry/wet, longevity vs grip and price would help a lot of people on deciding which tires to look into, there are a ton of different types though and the input you get may or may not be correct if it is just for posters.

if you feel up to it I would say give it a shot though, it is a good idea in theory.

even though prices change and tires are different to each bike, there is still a general consensus to which tires are cheaper and etc...

still a lot of work though.

·
I dunno
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think he has a point though that a chart showing which tires are generally (notice I said generally) better for dry/wet, longevity vs grip and price would help a lot of people on deciding which tires to look into, there are a ton of different types though and the input you get may or may not be correct if it is just for posters.

if you feel up to it I would say give it a shot though, it is a good idea in theory.

even though prices change and tires are different to each bike, there is still a general consensus to which tires are cheaper and etc...

still a lot of work though.
thats exactly what I'm after, just as a guide.
When people say go read others reviews they never stop to think that there's 900 damn threads and 50000000000 posts that you gotta filter through to get that info that makes up 5% of the pile.

·
Banned
7,982 Posts
Tire talk is like talking about OIL, for whatever reason people get all defensive and act like they are professionals working in the industry. Pretty much you can not go wrong with any of the brand name tires, the ones I can see people being worried about are Skinko, Tomahawk to name a few. Chances are if your name is not Rossi then I doubt you will be able to tell the difference between the models and brands.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Are you looking for input on what tires we run? If so, I've settled in on Metzler Z6's. Plenty of traction dry and wet, decent life, and not too $$.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Just read peoples reviews, take them with a grain of salt

I will 2nd that. A good one that I heard recently was "diablos really suck in the rain, I was shifting at about 7-8K and was spinning the tire". This was on a liter v-twin sportbike, so you can imagine how much power was going to the tire at 8k rpms. I have ran diablos on both a 600cc and a 1Kcc bike and they are probably the best overall tires i've ever used. Probably not great at anything, but good at everything.

·
Are we not men?
9,030 Posts
Your intentions are admirable, but tire performance is too subjective, too many variables.

Case in point: A friend of mine has a 600RR. He's an ex-racer. While I ride what I consider fairly aggressively, it's nothing compared to his style on the street (backroads). We had the same Pirelli Diablos on our bikes. I got half again as many miles as he did out of a set. Are the tires shite for longevity, or was it riding style?

Sport Rider magazine did a comparative test a couple of years back. If I remember correctly, they had 3 riders, all semi-pro racers. Each rated every tire. The results were interesting and gave some insight into how the tires performed. But, it wasn't the end-all for comparison sake.

They rated the Tomahawk tires as a pretty fair performing budget tire with good traction and above average wear. I bought a set. Well, SoCal and Wisconsin are very different environments. When the weather got rainy or cold (below 60*), the Tomahawks were greasy and downright scary. I couldn't trust them to get enough heat in them to see if that would help.

Good luck in your quest.

·
I dunno
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you looking for input on what tires we run? If so, I've settled in on Metzler Z6's. Plenty of traction dry and wet, decent life, and not too $$.

YMMV
this is what I was looking for

·
HEHATEME
16,189 Posts
It has to be possible to make a generic chart.

Regular tires for cars have been cataloged into charts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
you buyin? no?, BTW what was it about read a butt load of reviews, and the under wear comment you didn't you didn't get

How about postin up what you've tried, what you thought of em, the point is to try to make it a bit easier on others.
Ill buy your tires if you buy mine. Better clear up some room on your visa :twofinger

2ct's are my favorite street tire so far. My only complaint is once you're near the limit, they just suddenly let go. Great wet traction and fast wear.

Metzler M3's, they slip, they suck, they dont steer as fast as the michelins and they wear just as fast. I dont get how people compare these to 2ct's or corsa3's.

Michelin pilot race, good grip, slow warm up and horrible for public roads. Didnt get to use these on a track.

Im using corsa3's right now. I only picked them up near the end of the season, but they warm quick even in freezing temps, provide good traction (wet/dry/freezing temps). Definitely a pretty good tire, I think they will last longer than 2ct's. In the spring Im burning these off at the track and then Im onto slicks and rain tires.

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
Oreo what you using on the Tuono? You can't be on the factory tires.
Naw, those tires would be a 6 year old design by now.

I picked a tire that I could afford & fits the type of riding I do... Since I ride on the track as much as I do & can get em for dirt cheap, I use race take-offs from people I trust (since the race tires on my SV won't work... rear's too narrow)... generally that means Pirelli Dragon or Diablo Supercorsa Pros.

When people ask me what tires they should get for their bike, I just tell em to get the ones that you can afford & fit your riding and stick to the main brands (Pirelli, Dunlop, Michelin, Bridgestone). Tires these days are LIGHTYEARS ahead of where they were 5-10 years ago. There really isn't a bad tire on the market anymore as long as you pick the one that was designed for the riding you'll be doing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts