Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am kinda pissed right now.

There is ONE shop in my town that changes motorcycle tires, of course they are a dealership, not an indy shop.

I live in a rural area where the cost of living is low...this is NOT a big city dealership.

Their price for changing two tires if I bring in the bike: $80 per tire.

Their price for chainging two tires if I bring in wheels only: $40 per tire.

This is highway robbery in my opinion...but they have a captive audience...no one else does it for probably 60 miles at least.

What the heck should I do? I don't have the space in my shop for a tire changer (I am VERY limited on space until I move again)....but I feel really dirty paying this much for something I KNOW I am getting ripped off on.

What do you think...is the price fair? It really feels like I'm getting gouged here.

What would you do?

Does anyone know of a shop in the Chicago area that charges less? (I am 130 miles south of chicago, but I visit on a regular basis).

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Tire Irons = 15 bucks
2x4's = 6 bucks
couple jackstands = 15 bucks
wheel weights = 5 bucks
Pledge Spray = 3 bucks

Never paying for a tire change again PRICELESS...

you don't need a machine...

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tire Irons = 15 bucks
2x4's = 6 bucks
couple jackstands = 15 bucks
wheel weights = 5 bucks
Pledge Spray = 3 bucks

Never paying for a tire change again PRICELESS...

you don't need a machine...
Ok...I'm interested...but how the hell do you balance them properly after you put on the new tires????

I sure don't want to hit 110mph and have the bike start shaking like a paint mixer....

Is it really that easy to do with a pair of irons??? If I've never done it before? I heard breaking the bead is a PITA...

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
you don't, but man it's so much easier.

if you are only going to change them once or twice a year. it isn't really worth getting a tire changer.
but you could make some money with it....

·
center of an asian pop
3,480 Posts
No-Mar, pretty small, can attach to a hitch.

Charge $10 to change tires for friends.

Good investment. :D

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Ok...I'm interested...but how the hell do you balance them properly after you put on the new tires????

Is it really that easy to do with a pair of irons??? If I've never done it before? I heard breaking the bead is a PITA...
Gravity balance your tires. very simple and just as accurate as a computer balancer (if done right).

as long as your wheel bearings are good you can use your stock axles instead of buying anything else.

There are many vids on Youtube about both changing and balancing.

YES breaking the bead is the hardest part, when you first start to change them, then you get the hang of it...

·
Lickalotapuss
2,859 Posts
That sounds like pretty standard fees...at least here in SoCal. Don't know if that makes you feel any better, but it isn't your dinky town...it's shops in general that charge too much for this.

·
center of an asian pop
3,480 Posts
I have NO friends who ride. :(

Its horrible, I have been riding for EIGHT YEARS and with the exception of PGR missions, I can count ONE HAND the times I have had the pleasure of riding with someone else.
they do car tires too, I think up to 22 inches if you get the pro one and 19 if you get the Jr. Pro one

(just bought a Jr. Pro model for the SO, such a great investment)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
dude...i changed my tires with three flathead screwdrivers, a wooden hammer, floor jack, and the frame of a truck

ive gotten really quick, and i dont bother balancing them. 158mph with no problems :D

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dude...i changed my tires with three flathead screwdrivers, a wooden hammer, floor jack, and the frame of a truck

ive gotten really quick, and i dont bother balancing them. 158mph with no problems :D
SRSLY?

Now I am torn between trying to DIY and just biting the bullet and paying them.

I am going to see what other places within 1-2 hours drive are available for this work....

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
SRSLY?

Now I am torn between trying to DIY and just biting the bullet and paying them.

I am going to see what other places within 1-2 hours drive are available for this work....
This is exactly what the shops are counting on. I can count the amount of times i've taken my tyres into the shop for fitting only to have them handed to a wide eyed apprentice with no idea.

Shops dont want to change your tyres, thats why they charge so much.

Either you just accept it and pay through the arse, or you get your own way.

·
Banned
19,161 Posts
Having changed countless gokart tires (I hope that motorcycle tires are easier) I gotta say that get the little spud bar to help pop the tire from the rim and to help put one one, which is always easier, little dishsoap helps getting em off too.

May just try doing the tire thing myself for the bike although they charge 20 dollars here, 50 if its on the bike.
You go first para, the highspeed thing bothers me a bit too.

YouTube - SCUDMAN How to remove a motorcycle tire

YouTube - SCUDMAN Balancing

·
Banned
19,161 Posts
I have NO friends who ride. :(

Its horrible, I have been riding for EIGHT YEARS and with the exception of PGR missions, I can count ONE HAND the times I have had the pleasure of riding with someone else.
Pretty much the same boat here, I rarely get to ride with anyone else.

The only sportbike person I get to ride with just wants to ride up and down the drag and look good. arrgg.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The average price for a change and balance in my area is $25 per tire. Thats if you take the wheel off the bike yourself and bring it in.

·
Banned
7,982 Posts
you don't, but man it's so much easier.

if you are only going to change them once or twice a year. it isn't really worth getting a tire changer.
but you could make some money with it....
I been making money with mine, you do not have to go gun hoe like I did and get the Pro Ultimate one, but man the No-Mar is a nice piece of equipment and works great. Maybe you can do the same in your area...

Like a business I have a special now $10 per rim mount/balance :) Normal price has been $20 per tire, dealers here charge $37-$51 and want you to leave it for the day. Plus dealers here are not open Sunday and Monday so I beat them by willing to do them at anytime :)

Of course if you do not have the time nor interest to treat it like a business you could go the poor mans route. C-Clamps also work to break the beads. I would say get the No-Mar spoons at least as they do work, and you should get a normal small spoon and Rim Savers. I now mostly use the spoons to put the tires on, much faster and actually easier :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just do it yourself. Even if you're terrible, you can change your tires in the time it takes to drive 1-2 hrs to the next nearest dealership.

Plenty of videos on the internet will show you how.

Guide To Changing Motorcycle Tires
is the guide I used back in the day.

Honestly, I don't burn through tires fast enough to justify a dedicated tire changer, and I'm not too slow doing it with regular hand tools.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
If you want to make a trip down to effingham, I will change them for you.

For a six pack of beer. :cheers Hell, I may even let you drink half of it, because i'm such a nice guy!

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
If you want to make a trip down to effingham, I will change them for you.

For a six pack of beer. :cheers Hell, I may even let you drink half of it, because i'm such a nice guy!
This sounds like your best bet.

For me, during those periods in my life when I've been really short of money, I do it myself. For those periods when I'm not, then I'm happy to pay the shop. It's not worth the time, driving, and hassle to me to try to save a few bucks on it, or to spend my free time on it, if I can get it done by someone else. If he makes decent (or even indecent) profit on that, fine by me -- my criterion is not whether he makes money or not, my criterion is how much is my time worth and how much do I not want to do this myself.

This goes with any product or service, actually. If the money they charge is more than my time for the task is worth, I'll do it myself; if not then I'll pay to have it done. That's what matters.

PhilB

1 - 20 of 66 Posts