Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No I didn't do it myself. Even worse! The dealership did it! Took just my rear wheel (off the bike) into the dealership this weekend to get a new tire put on. After I got home I noticed a few things. No valve stem cover, scratched and marred wheel, no wheel weights. I set the tire between to jacks to check the balance and noticed while I was spinning it the sprocket was waving. Is a little professionalism too much to ask for nowadays? I'm looking into doing the next tire change myself.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Take that shit back and wrap it around their heads. That's just f'd up.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Yes, it is too much to ask of some establishments, unfortunately.

Changing tires on the bike is not on my list of things I want to deal with myself, though.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Take that shit back and get a new rim, tire. etc. Whatever they screwed up they have to fix.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealership is closed on Mondays so it'll be tomorrow before I can talk to anyone. Needless to say I plan on getting a new rim and sprocket. Just don't know if I want to let them install everything or not. :bongs

·
Registered
341 Posts
RamCutter said:
The dealership is closed on Mondays so it'll be tomorrow before I can talk to anyone. Needless to say I plan on getting a new rim and sprocket. Just don't know if I want to let them install everything or not. :bongs
Let them, they will be more careful this time. If they screw it up again, they have to do it all over again.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
Unreal. What's with the stupidity of so many dealerships? Between the sales people and the service department, it's like constant amateur night! I've worked at a few and dealt with a bunch of auto dealerships, and I've never experienced it as bad as seems to be the common experience for bikes. :rolleyes

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
You shoudn't really expect to get a tire changed with no marks whatsoever but they should be small and slight. The sprocket, however, can't be checked by the method you used as it is mounted in the cush drive, not directly to the wheel. There is play when it is unmounted and it will not spin true unless it is bolted up. Generally speaking, if you get a new valve stem, you get it as it comes. They should have offered you a covered stem at a higher price though.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
put the tire on the bike and tighten it up and spin it. The hub and sprocket actually float on rubber cushions and it's possible that the hub isnt pressed in all the way around and in there evenly. Just a thought but the scratches are ridiculous. Also, you may not need a wheel weight if you have a quality tire and it is mounted properly. My pilot power in the rear has no weight with it and it is balanced perfectly.

Just some things to think about before you go busting in there.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Next time, take your wheel to a custom rim shop (car wheels). Have those guys mount it for you. Most rim shops have very nice tire changing machines, that will not scratch the rim. Then pick up a static wheel balancer from Handy Industries and you are all set. I can have both tires mounted for 10 bucks.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
roadracer319 said:
Next time, take your wheel to a custom rim shop (car wheels). Have those guys mount it for you. Most rim shops have very nice tire changing machines, that will not scratch the rim. Then pick up a static wheel balancer from Handy Industries and you are all set. I can have both tires mounted for 10 bucks.
+1- And yeah, like Fazr6 said, try mounting the tire. Might just be the rubber damper mis-aligned, unless the sprocket itself is bent?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll try checking the sprocket while mounted. I have noticed (ever since I bought it) that the sprocket walks in the chain. It starts in the center of chain then moves to the left side then back to center. Don't know if that means anything or not. It's possible the tire could be close to being balanced since I don't have a very accurate way of checking. I don't believe it is balance as well as it should be though. I could tell it was a little off even on jack stands. I had thought about using a auto tire center to get it changed since the deal with aluminum rims all the time but don't know if I could trust them or not. Especially with a motorcycle wheel. I'm going to talk to the service department today and I'll post and update.

·
Registered
88 Posts
jim schmidt said:
You shoudn't really expect to get a tire changed with no marks whatsoever but they should be small and slight.
I have never got my wheels back with scratches or marks after a change.
Not on my XJ600 og my FZ6 (aroung 10 tires all together), and I have always checked :)
I remove them myself and take the wheels to the dealer.

So it is possible, as long as the dealer is doing the job probably.

I would be very angry if they scratched my rims, bastards.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Talked to the service department. The sprocket will have to be checked out. They use a machine to install the tire and a bubble balancer to balance wheel. Said they try to balance tire to wheel so the use of wheel weights will be small or none. I think they did that on mine but I'm still not convinced that it doesn't need a little weight added. As for the wheel I emailed them pictures and the owner is suppose to get back with me.

Also, I agree with oelhunden. If the factory can get the tire on without scratching the rim then the dealer should be able to do it too. Little scratches can add up every time you get your tire changed. Anyway, these aren't little scratches.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pics

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
More pics

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Damn, do they change tires with their eyes closed ?
None of my rims has never been that bad, even after 4-5 changes.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Do it yourself if you want it done right. I'd have to be pretty desperate for my bike to see inside of a dealer.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts