Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my chain might need to tigtened.. as it seems a little loose. Can anyone give me some tips on doing this so when I am done the rear wheel is still aligned properly?? Also where is the best location to check chain tension on the chain?

thanks
Cris

·
Registered
51 Posts
You didn't get the owner's manual with your bike?
Wheel should stay aligned if you tighten both sides the same amount.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have the owners manual, but there was a real simple way someone had once stated on how to check chain slack. I beleive it was "make sure two links touch the plastic guide" but i dont really recall. My main concern is alignment, are the tick marks on the swing arm acccurate?

·
Registered
205 Posts
s2cmpugh said:
My main concern is alignment, are the tick marks on the swing arm acccurate?

That really does vary from bike to bike, over my many years of motorcycling (34) I have learn't simply not to trust them.

I always use a set of vernier gauges to adjust the alignment as it really is an important area for the ride of the bike, the large washer behind the axle nut is the same diameter on both sides so is a useful place to measure from, then I measure back to a common place at the rear of the swing arm as in the pictures.

Get it out of alignment by a few mm and it changes the steering geometry quite significantly.

When you have the rear axle lined up and the right amount of slack ( 3 fingers under the chain near the lowe chain pad works for me) I then insert a small 10mm wrench in between the chain and the rear sprocket below the swingarm and rotate the wheel anti-clockwise, this pulls the wrench in between the sprocket and the chain and pulls it tight.
Now you can tighten up the adjusting lock nuts and the main axle nut without fear of the wheel moving out of alignment.

Enclosed are some pics of the process:

Oh, and by the way, it looks as though my YZ250 and FZ6 mated and produced a baby, see the last pic. :eek:

Skippy

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AWWWWWWWWWWW such a cute little baby too.... Thanks for the pictures that helps a lot. My only problem is that i do not have a venier guage. Could I use a ruler and measure from the end of the washer to the end of the swing arm? and would that work ok?? Also doesnt the wrench damage the sprocket?

·
Registered
205 Posts
s2cmpugh said:
AWWWWWWWWWWW such a cute little baby too.... Thanks for the pictures that helps a lot. My only problem is that i do not have a venier guage. Could I use a ruler and measure from the end of the washer to the end of the swing arm? and would that work ok?? Also doesnt the wrench damage the sprocket?
You can get the same vernier gauge as I have in the picture from this link:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47257
for $15.99.
You could use a ruler as long as your sight marks are the same on either side.
A small engineering square (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=39048) would do this as they usually have measurements along the blade.

I have never damaged a sprocket doing it this way neither did my mechanic (that I know of) when he was working on my YZM250 motocrossers.

I am sure that there is someway of doing, however, it would be difficult as the chain tightens so quickly that you know when to stop.

By the way, when I measured the factory markings on the adjuster blocks they were 1.3mm out of line with each other, if yours are not then you do not need to do this to get a spot on alignment.

Skippy

·
Super Nibber
501 Posts
virtualt said:
By the way, when I measured the factory markings on the adjuster blocks they were 1.3mm out of line with each other, if yours are not then you do not need to do this to get a spot on alignment.

Skippy
Could you explain how you went about determining that the factory markings were out of line?

·
Registered
205 Posts
FZ6 said:
Could you explain how you went about determining that the factory markings were out of line?

I took the blocks out and placed them on the axle and then took a measurement from each of the markings back to a center line on the axle and used an engineers square to determine that they were not symetrical and could potentially be more than 1.3mm out based on where you put the square across the indentations on the axle adjuster blocks.

Not quite an exact science I know, however, I like my wheels to be perfectly in line which is why I go to the trouble on using a digital vernier gauge to get them within 0.02 of a mm in line.
:dblthumb Wouldn't work for everyone, just sharing my experiences. :dblthumb

Am I Anal or what?? :alky

Skippy

·
Registered
205 Posts
FZ6 said:
I think the word is meticlous. Thats why we love you Skippy
You wouldn't if you really saw my headlight mod :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
YZ250 and a blue FZ6, a wise choice my friend :D.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts