Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, monkeybutt... that nasty feeling you get in your pants after a few hundred miles of riding. I don't know how to describe it, but you probably know what I'm talking about. It sucks.

To get rid of it all you need to do is buy a pair of underwear like these...

http://www.exofficio.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=1215&feature_id=&dir_id=180&group_id=189&cat_id=5006&subcat_id=5042&shop_id=

...and wear a pair of pants that has no creases between your ass and the seat. Creases, such as the ass pockets on blue jeans, dig into your butt and are eventually the source of irritation. You don't want anything digging into your butt, do you? I know I don't. [/heterosexual]

The underwear I linked is magical. I don't know how it works, it just does; it is magic. The underwear is on the expensive side, but worth every penny. On a 500+ mile day my ass is the very last part of my body to complain.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
good tip :dblthumb

these work pretty well too, similar to what you have posted.

Rated #1 by field testers for comfort and by our lab for performance, Polartec® Power Dry® is the best moisture-wicking fabric we've found for outdoor winter activities. Brushed interior wicks moisture away from your skin, while the outside pill-resistant micromesh pattern quickly disperses it. Midweight fabric is ideal for cooler weather or less aerobic activities. Thin-profile waistband gives layering comfort; gusseted crotch for freedom of movement. Flatlock seams won't chafe. USA. Machine wash and dry.
LL Bean link

there's also some "anti-monkey-butt" powder. Who knows how well that shit works....

Looks like the horse people have picked up on it...Link to powder

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I've heard wearing thongs help. I haven't tried it, but I'm sure I'd look dead sexy in them. :D

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
T-595 Greg said:
good tip :dblthumb

these work pretty well too, similar to what you have posted.

LL Bean link

there's also some "anti-monkey-butt" powder. Who knows how well that shit works....

Looks like the horse people have picked up on it...Link to powder
Anti-Monkeybutt powder? :D A lot of people over at ST.net swear by Gold Bond powder.

Those shorts probably work just as well as what I posted... a lot of folks I've chatted with say that regular spandex biker shorts work great too.

V V V said:
I've heard wearing thongs help. I haven't tried it, but I'm sure I'd look dead sexy in them. :D
Please, no pictures required. :eek: :D

I'm still trying to figure out why some people claim that pants like blue jeans are comfortable for riding. People think I'm nuts for dressing up in my Power Rangers gear every time I ride when a lot of the reason is because it's a lot more comfortable than non-riding clothing.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Mykl said:
I'm still trying to figure out why some people claim that pants like blue jeans are comfortable for riding. People think I'm nuts for dressing up in my Power Rangers gear every time I ride when a lot of the reason is because it's a lot more comfortable than non-riding clothing.
I'm with you on that... I always figured it was just "in my head"....

·
Registered
359 Posts
I ride my mountainbike all over town and some bike trails, so I use my padded bike shorts under my leatherpants, which is pretty comfortable......

·
Registered
61 Posts
frank5079 said:
I ride my mountainbike all over town and some bike trails, so I use my padded bike shorts under my leatherpants, which is pretty comfortable......
I agree...I have a pair of biker shorts with a gel insert for the ass and it makes a big difference! :headbang

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
how about baby powder........:)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Both look like good options. Regular cotton underwear is a bad idea - it absorbs moiture instead of wicking it away from your skin. Synthetics and marino wool would be better choices.

Not sure if a thong would be very comfortable on a long trip. The insides of some cardura/textile suits are pretty rough on bare skin.

I usually wear gel-padded spandex biking shorts under my riding gear. They work wonders!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've hear the Spandex/Chamios Biker short thing too. One of the guys I know that rides longs distances swear by them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I hate to admit it but the thong thing works as do biker shorts.Both together are even better. I did a 500mi trip (on a stock SV650 seat) and had no complaints.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just did a 700 mile and 300 mile days. Found some padded biker shorts for 40% off which not only saved the monkey-butt, but also saved the monkey-wallet!

It's amazing how such little things can make a ride so enjoyable.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Samurai Jack said:
I just did ~3000 miles in seven days and my ass actually developed sores on it. I think I need to find an additional solution...

That post was by me... on Samurai Jack's computer. :) doh

·
Registered
416 Posts
that sucks, i did the padded motorcross shorts route and did about 3000 miles in 5 days and came out just fine, almost no ass trouble

·
Registered
95 Posts
12 1/2 hours was my longest run this past summer... I found "style" of underwear a big factor and I use powder and/or aloe vera lotion... from the dollar store.
My brother the pedal biker sent me some padded bike shorts... have not tried them yet.
No thong for me...
RIDE SAFE

1 - 19 of 19 Posts