Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I (finally) got my Arai helmet (Quantum/f -- fits like a glove), and was wondering two things. First, where is a good place to get replacement visors--should I get them through my parts dealer, or is there a better, more direct (cheaper!) way to get them from Arai?

Also, from anyone who lives in CA, what is the legality status of tinted visors/mirrorized visors? I couldn't find anything listed on the CHP's website. Given that both are legal, which gives better protection from sunlight--a mirrorized visor or a tinted visor? (When riding with a friend, sun is a big enough problem for me that I know that were I in control of the bike, it'd be dangerous)

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
i have a mirrored visor and it works great in the sun but you cant see well at all at night. dont know about california, but ive never been hassled by cops about my visor.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have a mirrored visor and it works great during the day, but if you're planning on riding all day and into the evening have a clear visor handy because it sucks at night. I think the next time I get another visor, it will be a light tinted visor. Ditto on Cali law and visors, I know I haven't had a problem in AZ.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Are most visors easy to change. Of course, that is when you have a helmet that allows for different visors. Im curious because you say you should have a clear visor handy for when it gets dark, but how easy is it to change on the road, provided i kept the second one in my trunk or something.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I haven't dealt with Arai, but the HJC takes about 2 minuts to replace (if that)

·
Registered
24 Posts
www.helmetshop.com has replacement visors. My husband has an Arai helmet and several replacement shields. The Arai is a little more difficult to change out than the Shoei or the Icon. The price through helmetshop.com averages 39.00 to 59.00, depending on what type of shield you're looking for. Check your local dealer and see what they can do. You can also try parts.411.

·
Registered
646 Posts
thank you!

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I think this is fairly universal from state to state but certainly true in CA: only clear visors are legal at night. If you look at what is printed (molded) into tinted visors is says something like "if this visor is not clear, it's not legal after dark". Different helmets are different, but it takes about 30 seconds to change the visor on a Shoei. I wear dark smoke (neutral gray) tint during the day and always carry a clear shield in my tank bag. Just pull over for a couple of minutes to change it when the sun goes down. I've never tried a mirrored shield, but I don't think they filter any more light than the dark smoke tint. Some distort color and I've heard of the finish rubbing off over time. YMMV

·
Registered
839 Posts
I cant see out of my mirrored one at night ... if you look in my avatar ... the screen on the yellow SHOEI works all day and night. better compromise

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hello friends
I have the shoe rf-900 series and i also carry both shields, takes maybe 1-2 minutes to change. I actually have 2 helmets that are the same and i sometimes carry both so i don't have to change visors.
Later
Michael Hansen
Laporte

·
Registered
214 Posts
I heard that you can see out of iridium shields at night, anyone know if that's true for all colored iridiums or only certain colors.

·
Registered
131 Posts
it's not illegal to wear a dark/mirrored visor in ca. i don't know if you'd actually get pulled over at night wearing one. but riding around at night with a tinted visor is an extremely bad idea to begin with.

i've heard many peeps say the one gripe they have about arai helmets is that it's a beeyotch to change the visor compared to many other brands. not speaking first hand though...i don't own one.

·
Registered
317 Posts
i got an arai and its pretty hard to change. if it feels like the visor is gonna break, you are doing it right. lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a Scorpion EXO-700 with a gold iridium visor. It took like 2 seconds to change. I rode with it 1 night and only 1 night. It isn't impossible to see out of but I wouldn't recommend it, especially on dark rural roads. In the city was a little easier, but....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts