Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if they also block uva/uvb rays?

ultra-violet? or should I be wearing shades too?

thanks!

·
Registered
966 Posts
No they do not....and your going to look really funny with a tinted shield and glasses on...and you probably wont see shit.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I got the scorpion exo helmet with a dark smoke face shield and the sun doens't bother me, it actually does a pretty good job. But like prodigy said, they don't block out uv rays.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was told it's not good to have tinted glasses that don't block uv rays ...they actually cause more damage.

Because the tint lets less light into your eye....your eye is "tricked" into opening the retina or whatever wider and wider so more damaging uv rays get in.

Looks like I gotta wear shades under my shield. :(

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Actually some shields do filter some UV. A few years ago I remember a helmet test where the numbers were listed for various manufacturers' shields. Where to find it currently?? Not sure. If I find that back issue I'll post it.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you can find that article that would be great!

I think if my tinted shield did take out UV it would have said it on the packaging...but there was nothing.

Aren't any of you guys worried about your eyes being damaged? Cataracts and stuff? :(

·
Registered
966 Posts
well for the last hundred years or so, humans have servived with the sun blazing down on us, so I cant really say im worried about my eyes. Should people stop smoking if there worried about there lungs...yea..so maybe you should ride you bike with your eyes closed:). If you scared of uv rays, thats your peragotive, wear you shades under your visor. Hell just wear a clear visor with shades, your problem is solved!!!

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
chsnprodigy said:
well for the last hundred years or so, humans have servived with the sun blazing down on us, so I cant really say im worried about my eyes. Should people stop smoking if there worried about there lungs...yea..so maybe you should ride you bike with your eyes closed:). If you scared of uv rays, thats your peragotive, wear you shades under your visor. Hell just wear a clear visor with shades, your problem is solved!!!
very true... but if I wear a clear shield and only shades my cheeks will get burned! :(

:D kidding ! kidding !

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
MT Wallet said:
Does anyone know if they also block uva/uvb rays?

ultra-violet? or should I be wearing shades too?

thanks!
According to Shoei's site 99% UVA B protection
http://www.shoei-helmets.com/comfortS.html

I'm sure Arai is similar others I'm still looking up the listing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts