Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,

AFter having my 600 mile service, I have noticed what sounds like a vibrating piece of metal. Kinda as if a "key" was setting next to a piece of metal while riding. I really can't explain it, the sound that is. Has anyone else heard this? Can't reproduce the sound while at a stop, only in motion and near the top end of shifting until in 6th. Then it is almost constant. I will be taking my bike back to the dealer to find out.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
krbprogrammer said:
Hello to all,

AFter having my 600 mile service, I have noticed what sounds like a vibrating piece of metal. Kinda as if a "key" was setting next to a piece of metal while riding. I really can't explain it, the sound that is. Has anyone else heard this? Can't reproduce the sound while at a stop, only in motion and near the top end of shifting until in 6th. Then it is almost constant. I will be taking my bike back to the dealer to find out.
Have you put any mods on your bike? I know I added a helmet lock to my handle bars and it rattles while riding. I have noticed some noise coming from the clutch but nothing like you are describing.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No "mods". I have looked all over for something loose, but can't find anything. If that is the case, that would suck! Take your bike in to have it come back with something rattling around.. :(

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
When you hear the noise, put your hands on the brake and clutch levers to make sure they aren't rattling. Mine do at around 9000rpm.

If that's what it is, and you figure out a way to keep them from rattling, let me know.

Anthony

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already tried that. Wasn't it. I just stared grabbing various items while driving, turn signals, windshield, instrument panel, etc. Just can't figure it out. With my helmet on, I cant even tell for sure where it is coming from. Engine or elsewhere. I just called the dealer and they want me to bring it in today. Hopefully they can figure it out.

·
Registered
205 Posts
krbprogrammer said:
Hello to all,

Put it up on the center stand and have a friend check to see if it is the chain rattling, some of the dealers are adjusting them too loose and some too tight.
However, the noise transfers through the whole bike.

I know, I went there, my dealer adjusted mine way too tight and it was pulling on the output shaft sprocket and making a whinny rattle.

Hope it is as simple as that for you.

Skippy

·
Registered
75 Posts
virtualt said:
Put it up on the center stand and have a friend check to see if it is the chain rattling, some of the dealers are adjusting them too loose and some too tight.
However, the noise transfers through the whole bike.

I know, I went there, my dealer adjusted mine way too tight and it was pulling on the output shaft sprocket and making a whinny rattle.

Hope it is as simple as that for you.

Skippy
My chain was way too tight as well after going to the stealership for 600mi service and couldn't put my finger on it either at first. It had maybe 1/2" play in it. I put the proper slack back in it and its nice and quiet now.

On the topic of loose things though I found two screws loose under each of my headlight bulb housings on my fairing and one of the bolts that holds the grab bars on under the seat was ready to fall out. Needless to say I went over the bike from head to toe with the torque wrench set low to see if the dealer hadn’t checked other things as well. They had to replace the inner black piece in the fairing where the front signal light attaches. It was broken when they hauled the bike to a show the week before I bought it so I can blame them for the fairing bolts, but the grab bars...?? I'm sure something like that could help with rattling sounds too.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
this is probably totally unrelated, but shortly after my bike was new I was riding and stopped to get gas. After putting my helmet back on and heading out and up to speed, a very noticable rattling noise started. I looked all around scared that something was about to fall off and finding nothing kept riding. Then when I'd slow down it would stop and come right back when I'd get back to speed again. Finally, fearing the worst was about to happen, I pulled off the road and checked my bike. Nothing. I started it back up and reved the engine. Nothing. I took off again and it came back. After a few miles, I cracked open my face shield to get a better look at my instrument cluster and stuff and accidentally hit the front vent of my face shield and it suddenly went away. It then became obvious what the sound was that was so loud and seemingly coming from my bike. My vent was halfway open and rattling in the breeze. I thought to myself, what a dumbass!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
krbprogrammer said:
I already tried that. Wasn't it. I just stared grabbing various items while driving, turn signals, windshield, instrument panel, etc. Just can't figure it out. With my helmet on, I cant even tell for sure where it is coming from. Engine or elsewhere. I just called the dealer and they want me to bring it in today. Hopefully they can figure it out.
:(
Well, they could not hear anything out of the ordinary. They said my chain was a little loose and my clutch lever had too much play - both of which they felt was not the noise.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't know if this might help you but I heard a funny buzzing noise one day while ridding in short pants. When my legs were touching the gas tank I heard it, if I spread my legs away from the tank then it stopped. No metal or sippers just levi material and my leg but it sure caused a racket while rolling.
Anyway...

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
charlieoneseven said:
I don't know if this might help you but I heard a funny buzzing noise one day while ridding in short pants. When my legs were touching the gas tank I heard it, if I spread my legs away from the tank then it stopped. No metal or sippers just levi material and my leg but it sure caused a racket while rolling.
Anyway...
For me it's the opposite, when I spread my legs I hear some noise and when my legs are against the tank, the noise stops.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
charlieoneseven said:
Anyway...
I had the sorta the same experience. I got home one day and heard some buzzing when I parked my bike. Then I got off my bike and kept hearing the buzzing. It turned out to be a damn bee flew into my shorts! Yes I ride with shorts (please no :flamed ). Anyway the noise turned out to be not what I expected.

HamsFZ6 said:
For me it's the opposite, when I spread my legs I hear some noise and when my legs are against the tank, the noise stops.
I've noticed I get more engine noise that my legs usually block out when I spread my legs. Sounds pretty sweet!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Same buzzing sound...

I experienced the same sound when I hit 8K rpms. It sounds like a key vibrating on triple clamp, but much louder. I thought it was the fuel pump at first, but it has more of a metallic sound. I too checked my brake and clutch levers and couldn't find the cause. Once past 8K it stops.

·
Registered
198 Posts
TecChrstn said:
I experienced the same sound when I hit 8K rpms. It sounds like a key vibrating on triple clamp, but much louder. I thought it was the fuel pump at first, but it has more of a metallic sound. I too checked my brake and clutch levers and couldn't find the cause. Once past 8K it stops.
I too had this sound near the 600 mile mark, almost exactly as you describe it, if eventually if went away dealer said it was common with inline 4 and would eventually go away after break in.

·
the human bike-rack
419 Posts
I have had a tinny rattly sound at times with my bike only to discover its some small stones sitting on top of the header pipes, close to where they do the 4 into 1 thing.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I had once posted on this forum that my key chain was the cause, but the noise came back (or never really went away). Exactly as krbprogrammer describes it.

HamsFZ6 said:
Ditto. Hang my left knee out and the noise comes through loud and clear.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Kneedragger said:
I had once posted on this forum that my key chain was the cause, but the noise came back (or never really went away). Exactly as krbprogrammer describes it.
Ditto. Hang my left knee out and the noise comes through loud and clear.

maybe it is the zipper on your fly rattling. :lao

1 - 20 of 21 Posts