Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i have been reading alot of threads throughout this forum, and other sportbike forums, of newbs offing themselves or destroying bikes, injuring others...driving up cost of insurance, medical premiums...and generally giving a bad name to motorcyclists. I read somewhere, an idea floated that it wouldnt be such a bad idea for those new riders who want to get into the sport to have to qualify on smaller bikes, earning a CC permit in steps??? Say, start on 250's for 1 year, go to a 600 for a year then to 750, 1100 as a final step. They would have to show after whatever time interval, proficiency and good riding record ,to move up to the next level??? Discuss.

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts
thats how they do it in Europe so its not an actual new idea....

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
It's how they do it here in Italy as well as all over Europe, and it's awesome, alot less motorcycle accidents and fatalities. Also alot more riders per capita. So OBVIOUSLY IT WORKS! But we've got too many people in America who don't want to be told anything about what they can and can't do! Even if we did lobby a bill or something it would never pass, because whiners would start calling us Communists.

I don't get it though, statistics PROVE that tiered licensing works, yet America still doesn't do it. "Land of the Free" free to make whatever stupid ass decision you want, is this the freedom that I've fighting for in Iraq? The freedom for squids to kill themselves? Guess so...... sorry about the rant, I brought up this topic last week, and it still pisses me off talking about it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I would love to see it here in the states but I doubt it would happen. Too many organizations linning pockets. I wouldn't have cared even when I got my license I started on a 350 and only rode upto a 500 within 7 years wouldn't have been much different.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Ordie said:
thats how they do it in Europe so its not an actual new idea....

It's also how they do it in Japan too! That's why Japan and Europe have the coolest bikes out there, because THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING! WAKE UP USA, TIME TO SMELL THE COFFEE! THERE IS MONEY TO BE MADE IN SMALL DISPLACEMENT BIKES!

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
It wouldn't just be the traditional squids that would make sure that such a law would never come into being; I think that most of the people in the market for a Harley would *never* be caught dead on a small cc cruiser. I'm all for it, but then again my parents are European.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Should be based on horsepower not CC's.

I think under 80hp for your first bike (1 year).. unlimited after that. Keep new guys off 600SS's, huge cruisers, and worst of all, open calss superbikes.. but allow them to have a bike that they could commute on the freeway easily if they need too, so new riders will get into the sport more.

It'll never pass if you go by CC's. The cruiser guys (where the majority of the motorcycle lobbying comes from apparently, judging from the helmet law decisions) will never let it happen. The horsepower thing makes more sense.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Exactly, cruiser guys run this damn country. That's why it works in Europe/Japan, but not in the US. This is also why you see big block engines in cars in the US, and not in Europe or Japan.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Like I say everytime this pathetic idea comes up, this is the US. Decision making must be left up the individual. Government must be kept at bay as much as possible. They will kill motorcycles so fast it will make you head spin. Once you create a bureaucracy to deal with bikes, they will never stop legislating-cc, hp, top mph, you name it, because they have to show their bosses trhey are proactive. There will be huge fees to license and inspect and retest. Let idiots kill themselves and enjoy your life, don't ask for more controls over it.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
nig said:
But they do it in Europe, and motorcycles are still alive and well there.
and asia as well.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
f2benny said:
Like I say everytime this pathetic idea comes up, this is the US. Decision making must be left up the individual. Government must be kept at bay as much as possible. They will kill motorcycles so fast it will make you head spin. Once you create a bureaucracy to deal with bikes, they will never stop legislating-cc, hp, top mph, you name it, because they have to show their bosses trhey are proactive. There will be huge fees to license and inspect and retest. Let idiots kill themselves and enjoy your life, don't ask for more controls over it.
Pathetic? Wanna know what's pathetic? That as far as motorcycles go, Europe and Japan are far ahead of the US in both technology and mindset. They know what they are doing, and they know how the system works, and how it should work. If it works there, and it is proven that less motorcyclists die, why not have it in the US? They've had these tiered license laws for years in Europe and Japan, has it killed motorcycles? NO. Has it made better/safer riders? YES. People in America (I know, I'm American too) have always been in the mindset of b***** is better, it's sad really, and they just don't realize how fast and how much fun these smaller displacement bikes are. I've literally almost got into fights with other Americans at the track because they get SO PISSED that my little 250 tears them a new a-hole all around the track. Kinda the same deal when some hick in his Mustang GT gets blown away by a "ricer" he gets irate.

This isn't a pathetic idea, it's evolution, man learning from their mistakes, and adapting. Also you gotta get out this mindset that everyone is "out to get you" it's just not that way.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
f2benny said:
True. If people want to die let them die.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think it's a feesable idea, but it'll never happen in the US. Too many people will lobby against it. There isn't even a national helmet law (not saying there needs to be).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts