Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usualy either cold or around 190 degrees my bike with make a ticking noise in relation to RPM. Its not loud enough for the car next to me to hear it, It doesnt affect performance, or ridability. What is this noise? valves? lifters? I have a Suzuki GSX-R600 with 15000 miles on it. Always taken care of had a full service about 3000 miles or so ago. My last bike did this to '99 R-6 with about the same mileage.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Kind of sound like Rocks in a tin can? is so its your Cam Chain Tensioner.. I just had to change mine..

·
Registered
936 Posts
Probably nothing to worry about. Could be normal injector noise (if it's injected), could be the valves/lifters. If you're not noticing any performance issues, it's probably just normal wear.

Make sure you're taking it in for it's scheduled valve adjustments and check your oil regularly and you should be fine.

Incidentally, does it only happen when the bike is rolling, or even when it's stopped? If it's only when it's rolling you may just want to check the drive chain for wear, sometimes they can make ticking/clacking noises when they get worn. Adjust it and oil it and you should be fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yah Im pretty sure its not really anything to worrie about either but its my baby and i just want to make sure. Yes it does it at idle sometimes to.. but when i give it a little rev it will go away and sometimes come back depending on how long im sitting at idle.

·
Registered
985 Posts
that happens to my 00 zx6r liek when im stopped i hear a faint ticking from the front of my bike seems to maybe even be front left, but its just a faint tick while idleing, havent seen any performance losses either, btw my bike has 24k almost 25 heh

·
Registered
985 Posts
cam chain tensioner?

·
Registered
936 Posts
It ticks because the chain wears and because the tensioner assembly itself can wear and cause the chain to not be in perfect adjustment.

If you're comfortable doing so, you can pull apart the CCT assembly and verify that everything's in good shape. Checking this isn't a huge deal on the Honda 919, and I assume it's not a huge deal on the gixxer.

Some mechanics advocate a "wait until a problem develops" approach, which sometimes isn't a bad idea. Believe me, you'll know if it starts to get loose enough to cause real problems.

My uncle has a harley that had a CCT assembly go bad. It disintegrated, sending large bits of plastic and metal circulating through his engine. It destroyed his oil pump and other various parts of his motor. Note that this is due to lovely Harley engineering and will probably NEVER happen on a gixxer.

·
Registered
177 Posts
gixxers are known to tick a little. your cct will auto adjust after a few miles and the sound may go away. at 15000 miles your valves are due for an adjust. did they do that at the service?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts