Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 92 seca 2 with 13k miles. Just recently I've noticed a ticking noise when I'm engine braking in any gear. If I engage the clutch while engine braking, the noise stops. I can't really tell where the noise is coming from. I think it might be my chain, it's pretty loose. Today I washed my bike and lubed my chain, but the noise was still there. So other than the chain, what else could it be?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
If the chain is too loose and has one or more stiff links in it, the noise could very well be from the chain. Tension on the chain/sprockets is totally different under deceleration (sp?) compared to acceleration or just "coasting". Check for stiff links and consider replacing the chain if there are any. If OK, then make sure the chain slack is within spec.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Loose exhaust headers may give you that sound when leaking. Tighten them to the correct torque (use torque wrench).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you may be right Finn. I rode up my street in first gear with my helmet off to see if I could make out where the noise was coming from. It sounds like it's from the front. I guess now would be a good time to take out the whole shebang, sand and repaint like I've been wanting to do for some time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. Just be careful with the bolts. They may be stuck and will snap easily in older bikes (if you have stock headers). Alot of temp changes going on in the header area.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it's not the headers. The bolts are all on tight, one was a little loose. Went for a ride afterward and it still ticked. I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the shifter. When I downshift sometimes I can hear the same tick sound (not the clunk of the gear change). I don't think it's the chain. The ticking sound stays at the same rhythm, if it were the chain the rhythm would change with speed. :dunno stumped

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ticking noise is also common to valvetrain and valves that are not adjusted. you may not hear it when the engine is cold but as it warm up the sound gets louder and becomes more like tapping sound than ticking.

You could do a quick check for the bearings by giving some load to the engine on first gear while keeping the front break tight so that the bike won't move (no burn out either) if the sound gets louder as the load increases you may have a bad bearing.

On the other hand on yamahas and oil cooled suzukis you will always hear a ticking sound from the valves.

·
Registered
94 Posts
ive got that same ticking

ive got that same ticking under engine braking!
its driving me mad please someone help! ive had a motad front pipe on
and all the header bolts are tight.ive checked everything evan had the
thing serviced and a new did chain and sprockets,im now thinking of selling it but its a shame because its a great bike,its only done 16,000 miles.
if anyone got any ideas i would be glad to hear from you.

·
Registered
94 Posts
ive tryed all the the things that the finn has sugested except the valve train (dont know anything about this?) if you could tell me,would it harm the engine if i have a incorrectly adjusted valve? i wouldnt like to cause damage to the bike.
are these valves to do with the shimming on the 16000 mile service,because the shop told me that the shimms didnt need doing. HELP ME!!!

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I had a clacking sound that would go away as soon as I applied the clutch and my first thought it was my Cam Chain Tensioner so I swapped it out with a manual one. However I still had this clicking noise that I couldn't figure out. I thought maybe it was a warped brake rotor or something in that area but it turned out that my chain had come extremely loose (stretching??) and that was making the clacking noise. As soon as I tightened it up it stopped making noise. I have since replaced the chain and both sprockets.

·
Registered
94 Posts
thanks kazla i'll check the chain but i think its ok because its only been on about 100 miles,i surpose it still may need adjusting.ive just spent about 500 pounds on it an am worried its going to cost me more if its the cam chain.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm fairly convinced it's my chain. I put new gaskets on my exhaust and changed my oil and filter and it still does it. I checked today and my chain is VERY loose. It has about 3 inches of play where it should have 1.5 inches, needless to say I'm not riding till I fix it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fixed. Chain was just too loose. I tightened it up till I got to the end notch on the adjuster and it's still a little too loose, so it looks like my chain and sprockets are shot. I'm really glad I got a cheap bike as my first. It's really helping me learn bike mechanics. Putting small scratches on it from tools and such isn't really a big deal either. If it was newer and more expensive I'd shit myself.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
INeverFinishAnythi said:
Fixed. Chain was just too loose. I tightened it up till I got to the end notch on the adjuster and it's still a little too loose, so it looks like my chain and sprockets are shot. I'm really glad I got a cheap bike as my first. It's really helping me learn bike mechanics. Putting small scratches on it from tools and such isn't really a big deal either. If it was newer and more expensive I'd shit myself.
Glad you found it. That clicking noise was so hard to localize I swore it was coming from the front of the bike.
I found a sprocket/chain set for $75 on ebay. Wasn't at all hard to do. I have a cheap bike as well and have done all kinds of work on it. I can strip down my front end now with my eyes closed. Figure I can learn on this and then one day get a nice clean bike. I'm still afraid to mess with the carbs and internal engine parts. I tried to rebuild a carb on this Toyota once and that car never ran again. At one point I had gas squirting out of the carb throat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts