Sport Bikes banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem on my 01 GSX-R750 when i turn it on when it cold theres a ticking noise that i cant figure out what it is as soon as the bike warms up and i drive about a block or 2 it goes away and it sounds normal…i already changed the cam tensioner and also switched oil from 10w40 to 20w50 thinking that was the problem i have good oil pressure which is at 20psi…i took it to the shop and they told me it might be the valves that have to much carbon so i added bg 44k to clean it and the problem still persist does anybody have any idea what it could be it sounds like its coming from the top right of the engine from the cam tensioner side? I have run out of ideas what it could be and it only does it when its cold

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
That kind of problem can be a bear to diagnose because tolerances decrease with heat causing slack to get taken up.

It could be just the result of the many dozens of worn parts moving about.

That being said, you say you replaced the can chain tensioner. Did you replace the guides as well? If you suspected your tensioner was a culprit that would mean the guides were being abused by the slop in the chain. Now there would be extra clearance even with a good tensioner. You could be hearing the chain growling through its loose spot and right spot.

I sincerely doubt it's a carbon thing. It wouldn't go away with heat and would presumably create a running condition like hard starts. Valves tighten when warm so I don't buy it.

Obviously without being right next to it this is almost impossible to diagnose, it van be tough when you're working on them, this is gonna be your detective work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts