Sport Bikes banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone knows anything from Yamaha about r1 motors ticking erratically at idle-usually from left side of head-this is happening to one i just bought and i'm thinking of returning it to the seller if i can't get a good answer about it from yamaha or a dealer.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
dude, don't bother returning it. Yamaha ticks. THat is all it is. There is nothing wrong with the engine, that is completely normal. There isn't an R1 out there that doesnt' tick to some extent. I wouldn't worry about it. I've had mine for 3years and found out a lot about the bike. Most notably, they tick.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Common complaint. Don't return it, you'll get used to it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My 01 has a noise that I would say is much louder than a tick.... infact it is just short of a knock in my opinion. You don't hear it until the engine gets nice and warmed up. You hear it between 3500-6500 RPM. It is very faint, almost unnoticeable until loaded. It almost sounds like it is coming from the clutch area. My clutch is about 50% worn I think. My bike has 9500 or so miles on it.

·
Registered
910 Posts
mjk954 said:
I am wondering if anyone knows anything from Yamaha about r1 motors ticking erratically at idle-usually from left side of head-this is happening to one i just bought and i'm thinking of returning it to the seller if i can't get a good answer about it from yamaha or a dealer.
As you have already been advised, don't worry. All Yamaha Genesis 5 valve per cylinder motors tick, from the 87 FZR1000 to the 2005 R1, but not all individuals are equally equipped to detect the noise. It is a normal occurance, and I would be more concerned if the tick was absent.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have a 2003 R1 and it to has the same ticking noise. I took it to a dealer and they said not to wory it's completely normal for Yamaha's. Take my advice and get used to it, it's better than the consequences, like riding a gixxer or a cbr!

·
I'm a lead farmer MF'r!
902 Posts
I have owned 2 R1's and the tick that i have known it to be is nothing more than the fuel pump.

·
Registered
13 Posts
No, it's not the fuel pump.

The tick is due to worn exhaust valve guides. Many, MANY Genesis engines develop it. Many more do not.

We are extremely familiar with this ticking problem in the FJR community. Obviously, we don't have the identical motor, but the cylinder head design is not all that dissimilar. Yamaha Austrailia even released a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) about it a couple years ago.

Yamaha is stepping up and repairing FJRs that tick, but it didn't happen overnight; it took many months of campaigning to get them to the point where that are repairing it.

The fix is all new exhaust valves, valve stem guides, seals and circlips.

Most of the Yammy Faithful refuse to believe that the tick is a problem. It may not be... for them. But if the tick is "normal", why don't they tick right from the factory? And why do so many fail to develop the tick?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Warchild said:
But if the tick is "normal", why don't they tick right from the factory? And why do so many fail to develop the tick?

Exactly, they do tick right from the factory. They all do it, but not everyone is equally equipped to audibly detect it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
They all do it
No, they do not.

And believe me, I know exactly what to listen for. You wouldn't believe the amount of reseach we have done on this subject over the past 3 years in the FJR community. Trust me on that.

My R1 has a valve train that is silent as a tomb (so far). My current FJR is also a non-ticker. My first FJR, however, was a different story. We know exactly where the problem lies, we just don't know how to fix it. Neither, apparently, does Yamaha. A measureable percentage of brand new 2005 FJRs have developed the tick.

I can point you to reams of reseach data and mile-long threads in many, many forums about this ticking issue. As casual seach on R1-forum.com (justing searching on the word "ticking") brings back 386 different threads.... some of them hundreds of posts long.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Are there many I haven't posted in, hello? Just because you cannot hear it, doesn't mean there is no ticking. It's not that complicated....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Eyespy said:
Are there many I haven't posted in
I don't recall a single one of your posts in the various FJR forums I belong to... including the American FJR forum (http://www.FJRForum.com ). I'd know, since I am the Admin there.

But obviously, you have in the R1 forums.... like this one here that I ran across in the quick search mentioned above. Remember writing this a couple years ago in this thread here??

by Eyespy on 03-13-2002 at 05:15 AM I don't have the ticking noise! What the hell is wrong with my R1? :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts