Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
My 650 eats 1000s
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy got a speeding ticket and it's costing him a LOT of money. Wondering if you guys have any experience dealing with triple digit speeding tickets in NJ.

[102MPH in a 65MPH Zone. 4 Years old offense]
Basically ticket is code 39:4-98(Speeding 35-39MPH over) plus they added a careless driving(not sure why the double charge).

Incident was in 2007 and ticket was forgotten and never paid. Notices where mailed to a double wrong address. It's a former address and even so the street name is wrong.

What is likelihood of jail? What is most likely outcome? This was first and only speeding ticket with more than 10MPH over. First moving violation PERIOD in NJ.

Recommend any good attorney? I know a lot of lawyers are dishonest snakes, so tell me about any good ones you know. This guy is not exactly loaded by any means, but a cheap useless lawyer is a joke.

Facts again:

-Date of offense: 2007
-Ticket status: Unpaid for 4 years and notices mailed to old AND incorrect address on ticket(street name spelled wrong and moved since ticket)
-Code: 39:4-98
-NJ record: Non-existant

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
'pile on' charges are very common

never paid it? bad mojo there. probably has an arrest warrant on his license

how do you forget a 102 mph ticket?

Lawyer up.

·
Just call me J.R.
3,481 Posts
Yeah he should definitely lawyer up, he will get some of the charges removed, but possibly pay that same amount out in lawyer fees, but he will end up with less on his record.

Address problem means nothing, it is his responsibility to update the address with the post office, and it was his reposibility first to take care of the ticket. I doubt many cops/judges will give him a whole lot of breathing room on this one.

Good luck to your friend, hope he stopped the crazy speeding.

·
Registered
83 Posts
go to court and contest the charge. The issuing officer will probably not remember you or might not even show up. Case dismissed. My fee is $20. Please don't take 4 years to pay me.

·
Registered
855 Posts
go to court and contest the charge. The issuing officer will probably not remember you or might not even show up. Case dismissed. My fee is $20. Please don't take 4 years to pay me.
Don't you think if it was that easy people would just wait four years and never pay their tickets. :eek:nfloor

I had a parking ticket go to the wrong address and I still had to pay the late fees on in...of course this was a $30 ticket with a $20 late fee. :lol

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
i believe if you miss your original court date, you forfeit all rights to a court trial

·
My 650 eats 1000s
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Two things:

-Even if you forward your mail, it does not last forever and it's not a perfect system. You would have to go an update each jurisdiction you have ever ridden in yourself...just in case. OR...when the mail came back to court, they could have easily did a quick DMV check and resent to correct address.

-The address that the officer wrote down does not match the actual address or the address on the license so there is nothing the rider can do if they forget to pay the ticket.

Address problem means nothing, it is his responsibility to update the address with the post office, and it was his reposibility first to take care of the ticket.

·
My 650 eats 1000s
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That will never happen...well not until he gets seriously hurt. He just doesn't get it...just like MANY riders. Wouldn't call him a wreckless rider, just a rider who CAN get wreckless when he's ready. It's not a habit like for some riders.

Don't get me wrong though. Regardless of the law, speeding alone is not the big problem. It's lack of judgement and rider skill that are the issue. I mean, doing 100MPH on a road where most people are doing 80MPH+ leaves only a 20MPH differential. I believe 45MPH is the minimum safe speed on the HWY? That would leave an average of the same speed differential. That says to me that a guy doing 65MPH on a road is just as dangerous to a guy doing 45MPH on that same road as a guy doing 100MPH is to a guy doing 80MPH.

As far as the inherent "lack of control" issues with that speed, well...for a modern sport bike with high performance tires, 100MPH is a joke to a highly SKILLED rider. The only other issue is one mostly surrounding proximity to other vehicles. Cutting off people at 100MPH is a BIG problem. White-lining at that speed is a BIG problem. Poping up in a driver's blind spot at 100MPH is a BIG problem. But if you have an open lane on a straight road and no visibility problems and actually know what you are doing, then you are good to go.

That being said, you should never break the law(just like 90% of drivers do every day). Thing is, the law is just something written in a book somewhere. In NYC, it's against the law to sit on a milk crate and in NJ it's illegal to fill up your car with gas. Point is, just because it's illegal doesn't mean it's dangerous.

Also, in this case the rider had accelerated to avoid a tailgater. Responding to a tailgater on a bike is VERY different than in a car.

Good luck to your friend, hope he stopped the crazy speeding.

·
Just call me J.R.
3,481 Posts
Changing your address with the post office and creating a fowarding address are two different things. For instance, now days, if the bank I work for gets notice that an address change has been made with the post office, we will automatically update the address on their accounts with the bank. This, is a requirement by law for every person. If your address information doesn't match the address on your license, then they give you a ticket. Got one... *sigh*. Anyways 100mph is crazy, I am not saying I don't do it, and that the bikes are not capable, but the people around you can not judge your speed and react the way that a trained rider would. So, the danger is not so much in the bike, but in the people who can't judge how to react around the person riding this fast. In addition, that doesn't take account for pot holes, animals, and many other dangers that come from being in a non cage doing over 100mph.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
He's lucky it wasnt worse. In Iowa anything over 25mph and you automatically lose your license. I thinks its 35 and up its considered evading police and for ever 10mph over 25 you get another speeding ticket. Had a friend get caught going 150 and he had around 5k in fines.

·
My 650 eats 1000s
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The situation would be the same for a guy doing 45MPH when a bike goes by at 65MPH. Only difference is nobody get's a ticket. A 20MPH speed difference is not huge. Not enough to be buzzing by people and surprising them. When you start approaching 120MPH then is when you buzz by a 65MPH driver but many people do 75-80MPH or more. As for potholes, hitting one at any highway speed would not be good. If riding at night however, EVERYTHING changes because of visibility.

I don't condone anybody speeding, but I'm just saying let's not make it out to be something that it's not. Police would like to say speeding=wreckless (and legally it may be so) but I say you can be wreckless but not speeding or speeding but not wreckless or speeding and wreckless for other reasons. A lot of factors to consider. You would probably say 55MPH is a safe speed right? Well...what about in the middle of a blizzard or ice storm? It's not the speed that is the issue (ignoring the legal implications), it's when and where you speed and how capable you are. Yes, you do have to consider other people's potential lack of skill, but a skilled rider rides defensively. To do so is to always be thinking stuff like "That driver may want to move into my faster lane and he probably can't see me from here so let me move or pass cautiously while covering my brakes and having an exit strategy ready".

Some roads in Germany have no speed limit and they have no more accidents than in the U.S.A.

So, the danger is not so much in the bike, but in the people who can't judge how to react around the person riding this fast. In addition, that doesn't take account for pot holes, animals, and many other dangers that come from being in a non cage doing over 100mph.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts