Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Yamaha FZ6
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. New to this forum and new to motorcycles in general. 2004 Yamaha FZ6. It is in rough shape and I am in the process of restoring it. The handle bar throttle is stuck in the closed position. Someone told me this may be normal for fuel injected motorcycles until the engine is started. Is this true or should I tear in to the throttle handle or throttle cable to find out? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It's not normal. You need to identify if the cables are corroded, or the throttle bodies are stuck, either at the linkage or the throttle plates themselves inside. Lift up the tank, open the airbox and see if there are any obstructions inside the airbox and see if you can move the throttle plates manually there, (gently, they should move easily).

If the bike has been sitting a while, you may have a mouse nest inside the airbox.

·
Registered
2004 Yamaha FZ6
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your advice. You have been very helpful. Ill let you know when I get it running again.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If the cables are corroded or jammed, the throttle plates may not move at the throttle bodies either until you find what the problem is. It's more likely that there is a problem with the cables than at the throttle bodies, as long as the throttle bodies don't show corrosion inside or you don't find something in the airbox physically blocking movment.

Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts