Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mango posted this vid elsewhere but I didn't want to derail that conversation.

What do you think about the hand resets to get the throttle WFO? I use a similar technique with a big thumb push at the end of my wrist flexibility but I don't reset my hand. I try to keep my hands set with flat wrists at closed throttle as per MSF. The bike is already on a 1/4 turn throttle. Do I just need better wrist flexibility? Non-issue? I certainly don't need every bit of throttle but it sure is more fun that way.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Are you riding on the street or the track? That looks like he's got the stock throttle on there, cause you should be able to twist a 1/4 turn easily without re-gripping, though you may need to start with your wrist up a little if you're not as flexible. On the street it's one of the last things I'd worry about though.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Not all throttle tubes are created equal

definately be worth a larger diameter tube investment.

1.310" is the smallest all the way up to 1.60" is the largest
1.40 is about 1/4 turn
1.50 is about 1/5th turn
1.60 is about 1/6th turn

there are other variables besides tube diameter but this is a rough approximation

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The 500 throttle tube is tiny. a cheap fix is to cut a zip tie and glue it around the tube (right under where the cable wraps around) to increase the diameter. It should make it like a quarter turn.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
^ what a waste of time and energy when for under $10 you can buy a new throttle tube that measures about 1.44" up from the 1.25-1.31" that that oe on the ex comes with. Then you actually have something
Motion pro from an R6

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so clearly I was mistaken about the stock throttle being 1/4 turn. Ordered a 1/4 turn last night. We'll see how it works out.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
^ what a waste of time and energy when for under $10 you can buy a new throttle tube that measures about 1.44" up from the 1.25-1.31" that that oe on the ex comes with. Then you actually have something
Motion pro from an R6
What a waste of money. You'll likely need new grips too. The zip tie is free and you'll have to readjust the cable either way. To each their own I guess.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
If I were you id find out if motion pro makes a revolver kit for your bike or if one might work. I thought it would be a waste if $110 but not after I rode one that had it. I ordered one For my bike as soon as I got home. So much better than the stock one. I also makes blipping for downshifts a lot smoother too. All in all if you like to ride hard it makes it a lot easier. Every bike I own from now on is getting one put on it I like it so much

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
What a waste of money. You'll likely need new grips too. The zip tie is free and you'll have to readjust the cable either way. To each their own I guess.
The problem is you put in 100% of the effort doing the "zip tie mod" which only gives you at best 20% of the benefit. If you are lucky you may reduce the turn by what 1/20th of a rotation (18*), so from more than 1/4 turn to still more than 1/4 turn. So you wasted a zip tie and epoxy and atleast an hour of time for no real benefit.
I can take grips on and off numerous times without ruining them and last I checked zip ties cost something and so does the epoxy to attach it.
My time is worth too much to waste on the "zip tie mod", at the very least if you are going to do something like that (half ass something because $10 is too much cost to spend to make it work properly), use PVC pipe that you cut and epoxy to the tube, it is atleast triple the thickness of a zip tie and will stay there better too. With some actual noticeable reduction/improvement in the throttle turn

Motion pro revolver kit is nice, but really you know you are only going to one of the wheels and at (last I checked pricing) $150, that $10 Motion Pro R6throttle tube (1.460" diameter)looks real enticing...or if you go oem Yamaha R1 throttle tube that is 1/6th turn on the R1, ends up slightly under 1/5th turn on nearly everything else it installed on, it runs $20 retail. (1.600" diameter)

But knock yourself out with the zip tie.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
I think the only difference in the kit is the cables. I change the cams out for the track and street.
Riders discount sells them on eBay for 110 with free shipping.

Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More | eBay

I would do it your way if it wasn't a pita to take the stock housing apart. On my r6 I have to remove the whole clipon and all to do it. Now it's a cover and done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts