Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New FZR600 Owner

Just bought a 95 FZR600 and rebuilt the carbs, Taking the MSF course next week. I bought some tires on line, what is the biggest size that will fit the rear? I ordered 150/60-18 but they were out and said that 150/70-18 would fit. Said would give it a wider stance.

·
Registered
167 Posts
That will probably work, but the bike won't turn-in as fast in corners / curves. I'd wait for them to get a 150/60 in or go somewhere else.

Bridgestone is what you want, I forget the model number.

Come visit us at FZROnline.com if you really want to learn about FZR's.

Hope to see you there.

By the way, 150 is about as big as you want to go. If you go b*****, it will rub the brake arm and not corner very well. I have 140 (stock size) tire on mine. I've been riding for 32 years, b***** isn't always better. The FZR only has 77 -80 horsepower and it strains the engine more to try to rotate a heavier tire anyway. Most people won't tell you that, they want to sell you the biggest one because they make more money on it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I ended up putting a 130/70/18 on it, so far so good.
Wow... you actually went down a tire size compared to OEM. How's that been?

I've put nothing but 150s on my FZR... mostly because that's what size was readily available locally. Smaller tire sizes were harder to find.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good I guess, first tire I got to ride on so nothing to compare it to. But it turns fine and feels good. I will order the 150/60 next time. How long are these tires assumed to last under normal driving conditions?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Good I guess, first tire I got to ride on so nothing to compare it to. But it turns fine and feels good. I will order the 150/60 next time. How long are these tires assumed to last under normal driving conditions?
Which one did you end up going with?

I think with normal riding you could expect a tire to last anywhere between 5-10k miles... depending on the tire and how you ride.

Unfortunately for me, I have yet to actually wear out a tire. For some reason I have a knack for getting screws/nails in my rear tire after it's about 50% worn.

·
RLPoloArgyleSweaters,Son!
1,272 Posts
130/140/150 is the tire width, the 60/70 number is height, and the 18 is diameter. Did you ride it before the 130 conversion and hows that working out?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought a dunlop.

FZ1: I did not ride it prior to getting new tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts