Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 1992 Genesis FZR600 with 16XXX miles for $1699... i was just wondering what all of you thought about it and what not thanks

Matt

·
Registered
91 Posts
I love my FZR. That mileage is not bad at all, nor is the price if it's in decent condition. The voltage regulator is weak, but I haven't had any problems. Also, trannies/clutches are weak. Make sure it doesn't slip and the tranny doesn't pop out of gear in 2nd. If the bike is hard to start or doesn't idle right, you may have to look at adjusting the valves. It may not be as fast as modern 600's, but it'll corner with the best of 'em and be better on the street.

·
Registered
346 Posts
laserb said:
I love my FZR. That mileage is not bad at all, nor is the price if it's in decent condition. The voltage regulator is weak, but I haven't had any problems. Also, trannies/clutches are weak. Make sure it doesn't slip and the tranny doesn't pop out of gear in 2nd. If the bike is hard to start or doesn't idle right, you may have to look at adjusting the valves. It may not be as fast as modern 600's, but it'll corner with the best of 'em and be better on the street.
+1....................

·
Registered
452 Posts
With that kind of mileage, you'll want to check a few things and adjust your offer accordingly:

1. Brakes - check the rotors to make sure they don't need resurfacing; also check the pads.

2. Tires - a new set will cost you about $250.

3. Chain/sprockets

4. Clutch/tranny - slipping or jumping out of gear are tell-tale signs of problems.

As was stated earlier, the voltage regulator is weak. A common problem is when owners put in higher wattage headlights which eventually will fry the VR.

A test ride should identify any problems. If you aren't licensed, have someone who is (and you trust) do the test ride for you. Also find out if the bike was raced... a raced bike will mean hard miles.

16,000 miles isn't bad... the FZR will last much longer if properly maintained and not abused.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts