Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you might remember me from a while ago. I got a 2000 GsxR600 as my first bike about a month or so ago. I have been riding pretty regularly since then. Before getting my bike I took the MSF course and had ridden bikes before but had not owned my own. Well I'm just here to say to any new riders looking to pick up a first bike...DON'T GET A 600CC!!!

I will admit that many of the guys on here who tell you that a 600 is way to much bike ARE RIGHT! The throttle is extremely twitchy, the brakes are extremely touchy, and the ergonomics are extremely demanding! This is NOT A BEGINNERS BIKE!!! I have enjoyed my riding time thusfar A LOT. I haven't dropped my bike at all. Not riding, not in the driveway, nothing. But at the same time, I feel as if I could drop it at any time. I feel that if I had went with a smaller bike I would be having even MORE fun (even though that's hard to believe when I'm on the bike!). I am just here to tell you that all these people telling you to START SMALL are right! I'm not going to sell my bike for a smaller one, and I feel that everytime I get out there and ride I learn something new, but at the same time, the price of learning that "something new" is a near-crash and I've been scared sh!tless on more than one occassion! I know I'll get the hang of it eventually and be able to ride as good as I want to, but I also know that had I started smaller from the outset, I'd be learning much more quickly! That's it, stay safe!

·
Registered
125 Posts
What about an older 600, i.e., '92 F2.....does anybody recommend that as a decent starter bike? I have no idea if it is still too powerful/overwhelming for a bike nub.

Jon

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I remember that thread

Glad to see you've changed your tune.

Be carefull.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
jjduke15F4i said:
What about an older 600, i.e., '92 F2.....does anybody recommend that as a decent starter bike? I have no idea if it is still too powerful/overwhelming for a bike nub.

Jon
F2's are OK...The reason being is that today's 600's have much more power, torque, top speed, better brakes, flickability..Well, you get the picture...

Older bikes are alot more forgiving and the power band is much more smooth...

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
i started on a friends f2 for a few weeks, then got a katana 600.

decent starter bikes, but there are better.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Good thread!

SuperSport bikes of any displacement, especially those of the last several years, are narrowly focused machines
intended for experienced riders. Just like the sign says.

A 650 Savage or a 600 Bandit is not the equivalent to a 600 Gixxer.
Gain your experience on something with a broader focus. As your skills sharpen move on to something
with a sharper edge, if that's what you still want that.

Too much fun can still be had riding something that's a little more forgiving!
Everyday. Day by day... by daybyday

·
Registered
125 Posts
jesus jk, i clicked on your unleash the beast link and i'm left speechless

Jon

edit: i see VA, are you a wahoo by chance??

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Well i am a new rider too(to the street, that is) i have ridden and owned dirt bikes for a number of years) anyways i got a 93 gixxer600 i find it to be not bad at all...but maybe thats because its an older bike like some of u have said... cheerios

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
jjduke15F4i said:
jesus jk, i clicked on your unleash the beast link and i'm left speechless

Jon

edit: i see VA, are you a wahoo by chance??

Thanks, not my actual bike but it sounds the same.

I had a sister once who was a wahoo. We don't speak anymore. Are you one of them, too? :joke

·
El A MC Rider
336 Posts
jjduke15F4i said:

Jon
The older F series bikes are good starter bikes. I know that this probably isn't a popular view, but I think my F4i is a great starter bike too. It's lighter than the older F series bikes, the throttle is not as twitchy and the ergonomics aren't as extreme as the Gixxer or R6, it is an extremely forgiving bike, and easy as hell to ride.

My cousin bought a new Gixxer 600 for her first bike, and she spends more time riding my F4i than she does hers. I ride her Gixxer and I can't wait to get back on my F4i...and my first bike was a Gixxer 400RR overseas. Go figure.

·
Registered
63 Posts
older 600's like f2's are decent bikes to start out on but they are still very heavy. 500's are still the best starter bike.

·
Registered
211 Posts
i just got a 96 CBR 600 F3 and it is a great starter bike i think. I havnt taken the MSF course but i have riden dirt bikes and have a good understanding of the road and im very fortunate to ride with a friend who has been down and is teaching me proper riding. The F3 is a great bike with not that bad of throttle twitchyness and I have a blast on it while learning new things every day. I feel very comfortable on bikes I dont know but its coming real easy to me but let me say that when i have a close encounter!

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
first bike

I agree, a 600, especially a sportbike is way too much for a beginner. Someone new to cycling should start with a 350 or below. They have to learn to balance the weight...this is not that Huffy they started on. A 600 cc bike weighs 350+ lbs and will get you down in a hurry. Start with something small and light and learn to keep the bars up, then pick your thrill machine.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
I dunno about 350 or below......that's a little bit extreme. I started on my 500 and it does me fine....and it weighs something like 380 lbs dry, mine's a bit less due to the exhaust.

I do agree though that a 600cc sportbike is too much to start out with. Maybe if it was Katana or a Bandit or something....but not a GSXR.

It's good of you to realize this...that shows you've got some smarts. Just stay careful and keep your eyes ahead of you man and for god's sake don't become a statistic!

·
Registered
27 Posts
since people are telling me on here 600 f4i is too much for a newbie (ME ) what about f2 or f3 cbr600? btw, what is the difference between those 2 except years?

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
12v_Dub said:
since people are telling me on here 600 f4i is too much for a newbie (ME ) what about f2 or f3 cbr600? btw, what is the difference between those 2 except years?
F2 would probably be OK...The difference is minimal between the two...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts