Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Sunday I passed 5,000 total bike miles after getting my ninja 500 late last year. Some things I've realized...

-It's hard to swallow your pride and buy a smaller bike to start off because every other modern sportbike is faster and better looking than yours. But as time goes you on care less about what other people think of you and your bike.

-People don't expect you to ride fast when you have a 500. If I started on a b***** bike, I may get caught up in trying to prove other riders that I can keep up with them.

-Car drivers don't pay attention. They are talking on their cell phone, eating, day-dreaming, and "appear" shocked that they almost hit you. I just assume every car I encounter is going to do something stupid, and 5% of the time they come through. "Ride like you're invisible." "Pretend everyone is trying to kill you." I know it's hard not to take it personal when someone almost kills you, but it's best to let it go and leave your head clear for riding.

-I'm too big for my bike. I'm almost 6'2 and my elbows easily rest on my knees when I tuck in a little. My friend took a picture of me from behind while I was riding and it looks like I'm on a moped. Regardless, the seat and handlebar position makes it a very comfortable ride.

-It's not worth it to go fast on public roads. I understand why people say 'take it to the track' now, because on public roads you will always leave yourself open to variables that you can't control. It just takes one mistake or one patch of gravel... there is just so much to lose by pushing the limits of the road. If you can't help but go fast, at least stick to roads you are very familiar with so there will be less surprises.

-Group rides can be dangerous. People say "Ride your own ride" but you just can't help but try to keep up. It's impossible not to feel part of the group and just do what everyone else is doing. That and the tendency for riders to stop in unsafe places (immediately after a curve) has made me stay away from group rides. I ride with a friend who knows my skills, limitations, and riding style. We have hundreds of miles together and no problems, while I've been on two group rides and witnessed 3 accidents.

-Never, ever ride next to a car. And when you pass a car, do so at a brisk pace.

-Don't ride when you are upset. You need your mind 100% on riding, not on some girl that dumped you. Clear your head BEFORE you get on the bike. Have your therapy session on your couch, not a motorcycle.

-The liklihood of you getting into an accident can be predicted by how many close-calls you get yourself in to. If you are getting into at least one serious close call a week, you may want to review your riding style.

I haven't dropped the bike and hope I never will. I've gotten more conservative in the last couple thousands miles as I read stories on how a single accident can really change your life. It's not worth my life to be speedracer on the highway. At 10,000 miles I will most likely make the jump to a 600 and then turn that in a track bike after a year or so to enjoy sportbiking the way it's meant to be.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
do you think you'd look any less ungainly on a 600SS bike?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I'm 6'4" and ride a 250. I look like one of those shriner guys in a parade. But my 250 does everything good. Nice post I agree with your findings.

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
Damn, it's refreshing to read a well-written, insightful, content-relevant post from time to time. Thanks -

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Awesome post man! Oh, and you can definately sell that beginner bike for what you paid for it, maybe even for a small profit. My g/f wants to get started on two-wheels... looking for a 250/500.

Roosh said:
-Car drivers don't pay attention. They are talking on their cell phone, eating, day-dreaming, and "appear" shocked that they almost hit you. I just assume every car I encounter is going to do something stupid, and 5% of the time they come through. "Ride like you're invisible." "Pretend everyone is trying to kill you." I know it's hard not to take it personal when someone almost kills you, but it's best to let it go and leave your head clear for riding.
Dead on, man. Dead on. I've noticed after 3,000 miles of two-wheeling under my belt that it's usually the big vehicles on the road, e.g. SUVs, large cars, that pose the biggest threat. IMO, luxury SUVs and cars are the most significant threat: big vehicle, and usually a distracted driver on cellphone or fumbling with some luxury-car gizmo.

-I'm too big for my bike. I'm almost 6'2 and my elbows easily rest on my knees when I tuck in a little. My friend took a picture of me from behind while I was riding and it looks like I'm on a moped. Regardless, the seat and handlebar position makes it a very comfortable ride.
I have the same thing happen to me. 6'1" with boots on. Honda CBR. Not sure if that's normal either, but I just deal with it. Helps me modulate my counter-steering by getting a feel of how much pressure I'm putting on the respective clip-on.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Roosh...great post :dblthumb

·
Banned
730 Posts
Drifter said:
Damn, it's refreshing to read a well-written, insightful, content-relevant post from time to time. Thanks -
I concur and to what Racer X posted, my elbows can rest on my knees when crouched on my E, and I'm all of 5'9" tall/short. :lao So basically, they're all pretty darn small.

·
Registered
68 Posts
This newbie does not belong on sportbikes.net...what's the matter with u? U should be posting about what a POS the EX500 is, how u ~need~ more power, and how u can't get it to wheelie haha. Great stuff keep it up. EX500 from beginner bike to track bike? Great choice. Just like being a newbie on the street, being a newbie on the track u wouldn't believe how many people start out on big bore bikes and use that HP advantage to mask their deficiencies in the corners...I love my SV650 as a newbie track rider, it frigging rocks and allows me to enter faster and get on the gas quicker than the others...much the same as the EX, enjoy it!

·
Registered
539 Posts
It is nice to see someone that gets it without having to learn the hard way. Nice post! :cheers

·
My fanclub is here
1,918 Posts
Great post. Best thing is once you hit the track I'll bet you smoke your buds on liter bikes everywhere but the str8s. Nice to see someone who didn't buy a bike as a penis extension like most of these knuckleheads.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Excellent post :eatpop I just want to say that was truely a plseaure to read and you seem to know what works for you and your bike.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Good read. Very well done.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Very good post.

I just about have 5000 on my first bike in several years...helps to read something like this and evaluate the points. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Congratulations not everyone makes it to the 5,000 mile mark it takes skill, a level head, and just a little bit of luck. Good post! :cheers

·
How about them Redskins?
2,418 Posts
Roosh said:
-Group rides can be dangerous. People say "Ride your own ride" but you just can't help but try to keep up. It's impossible not to feel part of the group and just do what everyone else is doing. That and the tendency for riders to stop in unsafe places (immediately after a curve) has made me stay away from group rides. I ride with a friend who knows my skills, limitations, and riding style. We have hundreds of miles together and no problems, while I've been on two group rides and witnessed 3 accidents.
Nice observation bro!!! :beer

Attachments

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
mikem317 said:
I have the same thing happen to me. 6'1" with boots on. Honda CBR. Not sure if that's normal either, but I just deal with it. Helps me modulate my counter-steering by getting a feel of how much pressure I'm putting on the respective clip-on.
I'm 6'0 and I'm fine on the F4i, odd. I don't even feel like I push on the clipon, within the last 10k miles, everything has fallen almost into automatic. I feel like I just think turn and before the thought has even gone all the way through my head, I'm cranked over.

Good post. I agree with the grouo riding point, and I've fallen into it a few times. However, the last time was the final time and I just broke off a lot slower and met the group at Hooters as I caught up. No sense in over-riding myself.

·
Ducati 696 Rider
332 Posts
R1Elvis said:
Nice observation bro!!! :beer
Nice poster, mind explaining the order of events? What bike fell first? Did the guy try the U turn before or after the 2 bikes went down?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts