Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious as to what people think as these two new bikes for the beginner rider(and of course for the experienced rider). From what i've read they make about 40/45 hp.

Sport - Honda Powersports

I would also see how people would compare them to the Cbr250R/Ninja 300/other bikes in this category in two ways; with considering their price difference and without the price being involved in the equation.

·
Slowpoke
1,631 Posts
It really depends on the rider. Seeing as you're a 21 year old, I wouldn't say that a CBR500R/CB500F is a terrible choice. (This is assuming that you're mature enough to ride a motorcycle at all.) If you have zero experience you would probably be better off on a 250 though....because they're just a little tamer. As far as price is concerned, a Ninja 250 wins hands down. That CBR is like $6,000. I would feel like I was INSANE to spend that much on a first bike. My first streetbike was $1,100. The Ninja 250 I got after that was like $1600. Shoot, the SV that I got after the Ninja was only $3900. The ZX10R I got back in April was $6,000....and that was my like my 6th motorcycle.

If I were you, I would get an 08 or newer Ninja 250 for like $3k. (I imagine they cost about that since you're in California.) Ride it a lot all this summer. Put 10k miles on it...then sell it for about what you paid for, and get an SV650/Ninja 650.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've already experienced the power of the 600ss and i'm in no way ready for it, and this is a crummy 1994 yamaha fzr600r. I always ride with all my gear no matter how the weather is. I'm glad I haven't had any mishaps while riding. Its been about a year since i've ridden it and i'm selling it. I do already have my license. No way am i going to be pulling any "speed runs" or any of that while i still dont have the right amount of experience.

My plan is to use the bike as a commuter and get a season or two under my belt and start doing some track days on the side.

My new job is promising with a good amount of income so that's why i've included the Cbr500 in my choices.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
You'll be fine I would think. I was about the same age when I started learning on a ninja 500, and I'm still around and kicking.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
the CBR500 will be fine for you.

Personally I'd like to hear how it is.

I've watched a few youtube videos, and they say the engine is smoothe.

·
Slowpoke
1,631 Posts
Well it sounds to me like you have a good idea. Personally I would still just find a used ninja 500 or gs500 to save myself the money. The CBR definitely looks better but the $3000 dollar difference wouldn't be worth it to me....but that's your choice. Either way, I think you're on the right track and you've got the right attitude.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
848 Posts
you also need to think about the aspect of the bike kissing asphalt... can you afford to replace those nice plastics if it tips over? and No it's not a matter of IF it'll happen, it's a matter of WHEN. BTDT too many times. with buying a used bike, you won't cry as much if it gets scratched up. whereas a pretty new bike, you'll be on your knees adding to the local stream. just something else to think about.

if i was you, i'd go used 250, 500. ride the piss out of it. drop it a few times, and then resell for almost what ya paid for it. :)

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
if you have had riding experience then id go for the 500.

however like said above id look for a nice used ninja or gs500. that way ride it for a while, get more experience and if some mishap happens it wont break the bank.

i owned a gs500 and it is a fun bike

·
Registered
538 Posts
I would get the Ninja 300, Cycle World and Sport Rider pretty much summed it up as kicking my CBR250r butt if you want some speed and aglity.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
If you can afford it get the 500, if you have to make payments you really cant afford it. Also just keep in mind that the bikes msrp is 6k after taxes and dealer fees your paying around 7k. A second gen 250 can be had for 2500-3k in good condition a first gen for under 2k. Then think of everything you can buy for 3-5k that you might want outside of the bike and think if its really worth the difference for the cbr 500 before you purchase it.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
I would get the Ninja 300, Cycle World and Sport Rider pretty much summed it up as kicking my CBR250r butt if you want some speed and aglity.
Uhm, read it again. He doesn't want the CBR250, he wants the CBR 500.

·
Clueless Newbie
786 Posts
One really nice thing about the CBR500 is the fuel injection.

This is going to cut the maintenance work by about 40% over a ninja 250, saving you about 6-12 hours per year while you own the bike.

That time is worth a lot to a quant working 65 hours/week earning NYC wages and paying NYC cost of living.

If you're earning more than $30/hour, and you're buying used private party at a mid-market price, it's worth the premium over the Ninja 250 or 500.

If you're earning less, save some money and go with the Ninja 250 or Ninja 500 for now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Serious? Get the 500. Youll outgrow a 250 in ten minutes. I had the cbr for about a whopping two weeks before I was bored with it.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
Serious? Get the 500. Youll outgrow a 250 in ten minutes. I had the cbr for about a whopping two weeks before I was bored with it.
And every lesson it tried to teach you went straight over your head, but below your ego.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
And every lesson it tried to teach you went straight over your head, but below your ego.
To each their own. I was bored with my 500 and at first all I did was commute to work with it.

Price wise the 250\300 isnt worth it when u can get a 500 or 650 (also pretty tame) for just a bit more.

If a bike is a long term investment then people should grow into it. a 250 isnt tame...its more forgiving.. at a cost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
59 Posts
Um no. All I'm saying is less power isn't all that great. I tried it. It wasnt that great going up the mountain. Wasnt that great on the freeway. Give me a break..

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
for training of handling a 500 is a great beginner option. The only reason i would recommend something different then the CBR500 is it is a brand new model this year and you will be sad when you tip it over. All 3 of my bikes i bought brand new. the ZX6R tipped over because the kickstand hit a crack in the parking lot and snapped back up when i was leaning it over. the 250R, bought for my wife, she had a slow lowside. the ZX14 got bumped in the trailer by the ZX6R causing a nice scratch on the exhaust and tail section. I have damaged all 3 bikes at a minimum of $500.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts