Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how you guys handle bills. I think that a 50/50 split is fair. My GF seems to think that it is not. Now maybe I'm being an asshole but it's not my fault that she makes less money than me. Why should I have to pay more and save less because she wants to save more? So do you guys put money in a pot and pay the bills? If so how much do each of you put in? Or is it just a 50/50 split. I think the split is fair.

Opinions?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Mine and my wife's money are seperate. We split the house payment and divide the bills among us. I pay the auto insurance she pays the cable and the verizon . Gotta have give and take in a relationship or arguments start braking out. You also start resenting the other one because you begin to feel that he/she isnt pulling their weight. Just my 2c.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Whatever the gf makes, I transfer over to my account. Then bills and mortgage, expenses etc just come out of my account.

And if your gf is like that now..... RUN. She's being fucking selfish. It'll get worst.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
That's why I let her live with her friend and then I just stay over there every night for free and she pays the rent and all the bills and I'm golden.

·
Registered
325 Posts
What you could suggest is I make X % more so I'll pay X % more on the bills that would negate any type of unfairness. But I'm guessing she won't go for that either.

·
I am MOTARDED
3,089 Posts
we have seperate bank accounts. i pay all major bills except for the water bill and groceries. she pays for all her student loans and her credit card. when we go to movies or out to eat i pay. if we rent movies she pays. if on vacation i pay all gas hotel and any major pay outs, she pays for food and trinkets. major spending is split, like lately, i paid for new carpet and pool paint she bought new couch and chair. i got a big screen tv last year, she got new bedroom furnture. we split everything and there is less bitching untill. LOL her friends says its strange and were mairied and need to put all the money together. then i ask her what was the last fight her friend and her husband have about. she will reply to something to the effect of someone bounced a check because one forgot to tell the other they bought such and such and didnt write it down. or so and so bought a new riding boots and didnt clear it with his wife. we dont have problems like that. and everyone has there fun money.

Disclaimer
by the way my wife works and we dont have kids, so this situation may not be the best for you

·
Keeping WI HOT since 1998
2,917 Posts
We've just shared our first bill - security deposit on a new place. It was split 50/50 (with the exception of $25). We plan to maintain a 50/50 split, but I suppose it never works out EXACTLY that way. As long as both are coming as close to their 1/2 as possible, that's all you can ask for. I, for one, am not going to sweat a bill that's $51, and ask for $25.50. Just give me 25 bucks. It's less hassle when you're not trying to be an anal POS about every bill.

·
Registered
325 Posts
sexyicecold said:
We've just shared our first bill - security deposit on a new place. It was split 50/50 (with the exception of $25). We plan to maintain a 50/50 split, but I suppose it never works out EXACTLY that way. As long as both are coming as close to their 1/2 as possible, that's all you can ask for. I, for one, am not going to sweat a bill that's $51, and ask for $25.50. Just give me 25 bucks. It's less hassle when you're not trying to be an anal POS about every bill.

For me I am an anal POS and was raised that way. Half is half. First it's 25 then its 20. Next thing you know you're paying the whole damn thing. SEXYICECOLD I am fairly certian you would not be this way as I have read your posts for the last 6 months. But that's how it starts.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
My GF pays for everything pretty much, and we keep a record of it, and at the end of the month I pay for my half of everything. Or anything that I bought for myself, I pay for entirely. She pays most of the time when we go out, but sometimes I pay my own way... very seldom do I pay for her way as well.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I don’t understand why anyone would want to live with their SO unless you are planning on having children. The way I see it, do everything down the middle and any money you have left after all bills is said and done is your money. I have investments and working on a lot of stuff right now, when I go out with my gf we split it 50/50, once in a while I’ll pay for her but in general we split it. I’m an investor though, if the person is significant to me and I want it to continue long term than I will split everything with them, give them nice gifts here and there, and take em out once in a while. However, if it’s a woman I’m just in for the ass than of course I will pay for her 100% to get what I want than end it shortly thereafter. Anyway, your SO sounds unreasonable maybe if you asked her what exactly she is saving up for than maybe you can better negotiate with her. Also, I know you didn’t mention this but I recommend you protect your assets, especially if you plan on getting married, it will be a financial disaster for you if things go sour.

·
Crunnnnnnnnnnnnchy
3,067 Posts
sexyicecold said:

When i was engaged....my fiancee did the too the penny shit...man that pissed me off as i still payed when we went out...

Key word....

WAS :lao

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Jesus Christ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are we being serious?

First off, its a rough world out there. If you marry her ass you have to worry about her bills as they have officially become yours too. But if you aint married, forget it. She has to figure out if she can do this on her own or not. You aint her daddy.

For the girls saying they pay a straight 50% I sallute you. The days of being a goddamn leech (guy or girl)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the replies so far guys. I mean she works and we have no kids so thats not an issue. We have been together about 4 years now. I guess I wanted to make sure that I wasn't being an ass about the 50/50 thing. It's just what seems fair to me. Not that it's a big deal but I am seeing that it may be a problem as the topic seems to be coming up more often.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
If I have the extra, I pay it. If he does, he pays it. In the 6 years I've been with my SO, we have never fought about money. Maybe a spat about what he bought and that he shouldn't of, but if he has the extra $$, why not? It's his $$....

I'd go with the % bit. She makes less, she pays less. Unless if she uses the cell more and all the calls are hers etc etc etc... then she needs to pay what she used.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I hate that about my GF. She always tries to make me pay for small things, like take her out for dinner, or pay her ticket on the movies, pay her for whatever...

small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing = BIG THING

But she can't seem to understand it, she just says "You should be glad I'm not like my sister" (That bitch used to date the guy that bought her the most expensive things, but now is married to a guy that is almost pathologically cheap)

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
damn susser, your girl sounds like a bitch lol

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
i pay for everything when i take my girl out. dont live with her, so i cant comment bout the bills, but for fucksakes people...stop being cheap asses. you guys are probably the same guys that dont tip on dollar beer night :bitchslap

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Süsser Tod said:
I hate that about my GF. She always tries to make me pay for small things, like take her out for dinner, or pay her ticket on the movies, pay her for whatever...

small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing + small thing = BIG THING

But she can't seem to understand it, she just says "You should be glad I'm not like my sister" (That bitch used to date the guy that bought her the most expensive things, but now is married to a guy that is almost pathologically cheap)

Holy SH*T Dude are we dating the same girl?!?!? LOL.. My girls sisters BF is like that too he buys her all kinds of stuff from big screen tv's to 8k beds to purses and all kinds of stuff. Luckily my GF doesn't expect that from me . Even if she did she knows damn well I wouldn't be doing stuff like that. Unless of course i was loaded then why not. anyway just thought that was funny

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
snigg said:
i pay for everything when i take my girl out. dont live with her, so i cant comment bout the bills, but for fucksakes people...stop being cheap asses. you guys are probably the same guys that dont tip on dollar beer night :bitchslap

not about being a cheap ass... my point is why should I have to suffer (pay more and be able to save less) just because I make more money. I busted my ass to be able to make the money that I do now. Yes I love her but why is it my fault that she isn't busting her ass to make more money instead of wanting me to pay more so she can have more money in her pocket.

And not living with your girl makes a big difference. When I take her out I pay for everything too and have no problem doing so. My issue is with the bills. To me that is a whole different ball game.

·
Politically incorrect
508 Posts
I have lived with the same person for a long time. I would say our split is in relation to our income. We each handle certain bills. I make twice as much as she does. We don't fight about money, somewhere along the line we worked out the details. I think it is important to get the split worked out before hand however. It is a question of negotiation.

Where are these women who financially take care of their men? I keep hearing that they exist. I just have never met one who felt that way. My experience is that women prefer that the guy pay for everything.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts