Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I get a call from my manager at the apartment complex saying that I need to move my bike off the premises since its not running.

Now I've been here 2 years and I've had a bike since. When I moved in I asked if I am allowed to have a motorcycle there. They said yes as long as I don't park it in the spaces close to the apartment door entrances of each unit.

They tell me that the lease says you can't store non operable vehicles in the parking spaces. There's a guy here who's had a car that has not been running for a while too. He also has to move.

I'm just upset and don't know what to do, mainly because we just had a winter storm the past week, an ice storm last night, nothing was said to me before, so someone must be telling the office a bunch of crap.

Not to mention they give me until friday to move it while there is still ice and snow on the ground. I don't have friends with trucks and the battery has been dead for some time.

Have you guys been asked to do this? It's mainly because they seem not to have enough spaces all of a sudden, and there are a lot of old people that stay home all day and complain. I work during the week and by the time I get home, it's dark and if there is no place to park my car, I go park on the side of the street.

I've never been late with rent, never bothered anyone. Just seems kind of annoying, I mean someone like a neighbor could have asked me or told me instead of complaining to the owner of the buildings. I'm afraid I will get evicted if I don't move it in time.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because they aren't giving me any time to get it running. Selling it now I would loose money. It's a 2005 sv650s. Even if it was running they don't want it on the property apparently if it's not being taken in and out I guess.

But I guess it's ok that 80% of the other tenants have vehicles that never go anywhere all week, months at a time.

The lease I got states no repairs on cars in the parking lot and no abandoned cars left in the lot.

I could order a battery and have it running but it's still snowy and icy out so I can't take it anywhere.

My next step is to do that and maybe try to take it to my gf's house where I can keep it until spring and then sell it.

I love the bike and it sucks I'll have to get rid of it :(

I don't know where you live but just because a bike doesn't get ridden in the winter, doesn't really make it worthless.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Are there major issues with the bike or just battery/winter problems?

U-haul can rent you something to move the bike. Storage facilities will handle the bike until you can sell/fix the bike. Should be able to move the bike and store it for under $100 in no time. If you can't get the time to make the move asking for a brief extension (maybe just the weekend) should be enough don't you think?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just battery and winter down time as in not being ridden during winter months. I've asked for an extension and the lady would not help me. They want it moved by Friday.

I told them I work Monday through Friday and get home late so only the weekend would work for me.

I've left a message for the manager. I''ve looked for storage units and many of them are far away and are indoors. Other ones want $80-100 a month for a 5x5 space that has drive up access.

Going to see if any friends will let me store it at their house while a battery comes in and then maybe try and sell it in the spring.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
If its just winterized thats one thing, it sounded like the bike had some major mechanical issues. And if it sits long enough without turning over the engine could sieze. Probably take years tho

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh no it's just no battery and I haven't used it since December, so once the battery is in, it will fire up then maybe take a bit to get warmed up and running. I just wish they would have told me earlier. I made sure to ask before moving in here if motorcycles are allowed.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Put in a battery, call them over, show it running and moving, and problem solved. You don't need to leave the parking lot. How hard is that?

And yes, I've had an apartment tell me to do that. I started parting out a bike, so after I got the notice, I spent a day dismantling the rest of the bike and lined the floor of my bedroom with motorcycle parts. Had to step over the engine to get out the door. Everything was put in some sort of shallow open container so that the carpet never got dirty or anything. Just smelled a bit like bike.

·
Registered
495 Posts
So - I don't know where you are - your profile doesn't say. Else I'm sure someone here would offer to be helpful to you. Most apartments don't allow derelict vehicles to exist. Motorcycle or not. You said it yourself, it's not an issue that it's a motorcycle, it's an issue that it's a non-runner.

Is it as simple as: Go to walmart and get a damn battery and put it in? ($50 and a half hour of time?)

Or - Roll it into your apartment for a few days?

I guess I'm having trouble figuring out why you're having a problem here. Are there no batteries within 100 miles of you, for sale?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Put in a battery, call them over, show it running and moving, and problem solved. You don't need to leave the parking lot. How hard is that?

And yes, I've had an apartment tell me to do that. I started parting out a bike, so after I got the notice, I spent a day dismantling the rest of the bike and lined the floor of my bedroom with motorcycle parts. Had to step over the engine to get out the door. Everything was put in some sort of shallow open container so that the carpet never got dirty or anything. Just smelled a bit like bike.
Yea thats not good enough apparently for them. I've told them it's a running vehicle and that it works it's just been to cold to ride. The letter they sent today says it can't stay in the parking lot during the winter months. I wish I could part it out and hide it haha.

Sucks that I will need to sell it, it's ashame.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Not sure what you can do about the bike (well, I know what I'd do, but it's horrible advice, so I won't recommend it), but one thing I sure would do: every time I came home and didn't have a parking space for my car, I'd raise 5 kinds of hell with the office for not getting the parking I paid for.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Why not just MOVE it? Tonight roll it into a different parking space. Tomorrow night put it into a different one.

Then get a battery when you can and ride it a minor amount, so it's regularly parked in a different space.

If they continue to give you crap, ignore them. You have a lease and are entitled to park your vehicle there. If they haul it off, report it as stolen and have them charged.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So - I don't know where you are - your profile doesn't say. Else I'm sure someone here would offer to be helpful to you. Most apartments don't allow derelict vehicles to exist. Motorcycle or not. You said it yourself, it's not an issue that it's a motorcycle, it's an issue that it's a non-runner.

Is it as simple as: Go to walmart and get a damn battery and put it in? ($50 and a half hour of time?)

Or - Roll it into your apartment for a few days?

I guess I'm having trouble figuring out why you're having a problem here. Are there no batteries within 100 miles of you, for sale?
The bike runs, just not currently since its been cold with wintery conditions. I'll get a battery for it as soon as I can.

The issue I have is I've been living here for a little over a year and they knew I had a bike, they told me it was ok to have it at the apartment as long as I'm not taking up the front parking spaces. The bike has been parked in a far away spot, which previously no one ever used.

I guess what bothers me the most is the timing. It's suppose to snow again this weekend. I work M-F and usually get home late.

If they had told me can you please move it as soon as possible when you get a chance I wouldn't be as upset. Instead I'm given a day to do it. But at the same time there are people here with cars that don't leave all week and nothing has been done about that.

I'm in northeast Philadelphia, PA. I'm going to call a dealer tomorrow to see if they have any ready to go batteries that will not require charging so I can try picking one up on my way from work.

If the roads are good I'll install it, and try to ride it to my gf's house for the time being.

I understand about not having a parking spot. But most of these people here are older and like I mentioned, their cars never leave the same spot but maybe 2-3 times a couple of months.

I've even seen people from across the steer come throw trash in our dumbster, park their cars in our lot, so on. I guess someone must have decided to single me out since they must have seen me one day trying to move the bike, but the battery had died.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Surprised no one said this. Read your lease!
If it says you cant have an inop vehicle then get a battery and fire it up for them. Ride it past the office or something when there is no snow on the ground. Bring your lease in the office and tell them in your lease they cant force you to remove a working vehicle.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Surprised no one said this. Read your lease!
If it says you cant have an inop vehicle then get a battery and fire it up for them. Ride it past the office or something when there is no snow on the ground. Bring your lease in the office and tell them in your lease they cant force you to remove a working vehicle.
Usually when I go to pay my rent I take the bike out. The lease specifically says no abandoned cars. I think the issue is they have no spots left, even if I free a spot by moving the bike, I usually have to go park on the street if I come home late.

If I just put it in a different spot they will still complain. I'll do my best to get it out of here by Saturday assuming no more snow.

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts
When I lived in an apartment, my MC shared the spot with my car. It was simple.

Is that an option for you to help keep peace?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Letter says no vehicles that aren't being used for the winter, so I'd say your fucked either way since you aren't using it during winter unless you can ride it once a week. My bike's non-op right now because it's missing a peg, but I park both my truck and bike in the same spot so I'm not taking up additional parking with it.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Pull out your lease. If there is no provision that states that the vehicle has to be used a certain amount, install a battery and tell them to pound sand.

Alternatively, work with them to park somewhere that's not in a parking spot. Not saying sidewalk, but near the dumpster, side of the building, etc.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Um, put a battery in it, move it around the parking lot every few days, and tell them you're using it... They can't prove otherwise.

This is way simpler than you're making it out to be.

It's funny because I just asked my apartment people how I could park my bike on the property today (we're only allowed one parking pass, it's a student housing facility). She said I could just park it in the same spot as my car. Problem solved, yo.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Um, put a battery in it, move it around the parking lot every few days, and tell them you're using it... They can't prove otherwise.

This is way simpler than you're making it out to be.

It's funny because I just asked my apartment people how I could park my bike on the property today (we're only allowed one parking pass, it's a student housing facility). She said I could just park it in the same spot as my car. Problem solved, yo.
Thing is we don't have assigned spots. I used to park it in front of my car. I would take my car to work in the morning. One day I came back and found the bike laying down. Someone had parked there. I was pissed. No damage but I had to lift it up on my own. Kind of heavy to do but didn't hurt. I really hope I can find an operational battery tomorrow so I can install it and maybe leave work early tomorrow to get it out.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts