Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode my bike to work today. I knew my tires were low on tread and was planning to order a new one as soon as I got home from Vegas last week. I thought I could milk a little more out of the tire until I got to work and saw how bad my tire was. Here is a picture. I just checked parts that I saw and didnt actually turn the tires. :duh2

The part I saw when I got to work was better than this but still made me sick to my stomach and even more so when I turned it more. I know Im going to get flamed, and I deserve it. I could not believe I let my tires get this low. I have new ones coming, but it was a wake up call. Everyone check your tires close.

While this isnt the worse Ive seen its far worse than Im comfortable with. While at the shop where I get all my work done at I saw a Buell XB12S with far more steel showing than this but on the front tire. Thats just a death wish.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I rode my bike to work today. I knew my tires were low on tread and was planning to order a new one as soon as I got home from Vegas last week. I thought I could milk a little more out of the tire until I got to work and saw how bad my tire was. Here is a picture. I just checked parts that I saw and didnt actually turn the tires. :duh2

The part I saw when I got to work was better than this but still made me sick to my stomach and even more so when I turned it more. I know Im going to get flamed, and I deserve it. I could not believe I let my tires get this low. I have new ones coming, but it was a wake up call. Everyone check your tires close.

While this isnt the worse Ive seen its far worse than Im comfortable with. While at the shop where I get all my work done at I saw a Buell XB12S with far more steel showing than this but on the front tire. Thats just a death wish.
Just don't leave it parked at a parking lot overnight.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
mine is barely better than that.

I have the little horizontal marks across the centre that make ya go "ah....fuck". . .

best part is that I have to wait till next friday to replace it.
fack.
s'ok. shoudla seen the front. bald, and the tread was cracked and separating. that got replaced, thankfully.

·
Registered
848 Posts
looks familiar.... got a buddy who just started riding last year. rear tire looked that bad. he was on his way over to my house to take the wheels off to get new rubber. well, he, being a newish rider, made the stupid decision on a cold (38 degrees) night to swerve his bike to "warm up" the tires. next thing ya know, the bike lowsides, dumped his ass, tires caught, and then it flipped/rolled over onto the other side. after it was all said and done, plastics broken on both sides, mirrors both broken off, and a messed up big toe. he rode to my house where i got to see the aftermath. i chewed his ass for being stupid (and lucky for not getting hurt worse) and to make it worse, my wife came out an added to it. LOL!

lesson learned. hasn't had an incident since.

be careful out there.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
looks familiar.... got a buddy who just started riding last year. rear tire looked that bad. he was on his way over to my house to take the wheels off to get new rubber. well, he, being a newish rider, made the stupid decision on a cold (38 degrees) night to swerve his bike to "warm up" the tires. next thing ya know, the bike lowsides, dumped his ass, tires caught, and then it flipped/rolled over onto the other side. after it was all said and done, plastics broken on both sides, mirrors both broken off, and a messed up big toe. he rode to my house where i got to see the aftermath. i chewed his ass for being stupid (and lucky for not getting hurt worse) and to make it worse, my wife came out an added to it. LOL!

lesson learned. hasn't had an incident since.

be careful out there.
The weird thing is I wasnt super easy on it on the way to work. I felt it break loose while I was riding to work. Probably took the rest of the tread off or maybe it was already this bad. Im so lucky it went ok. With motorcycles you cant treat stuff the same as cars. I was just shocked when I saw it. Big lapse in judgement on my part.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Shit happens. My rear looked just like that before I got them replaced yesterday. Just too eager to ride and maybe went a week too long before doing a proper pre/post ride inspection. Luckily I already had 2 new tires waiting, because I saw this coming when the bike eeked past inspection, due to tires, in April.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
I've done that a couple times. Once I had to ride it 45 miles home like that.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Ironically, half of the guys who wear their tires down to cords also call darkside cruiser riders "dangerous" for using an auto tire on the rear.

Reactions: Ilovemyvtx

·
old member
13,079 Posts
You guys realize that bike tires have wear bars just like car tires, right? It's actually not legal to ride/drive on either once ONE wear bar is showing. Cord showing is about 500-1000 miles past that point. Can't understand how riders are willing to take that kind of risk with only 2 tires.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
You guys realize that bike tires have wear bars just like car tires, right? It's actually not legal to ride/drive on either once ONE wear bar is showing. Cord showing is about 500-1000 miles past that point. Can't understand how riders are willing to take that kind of risk with only 2 tires.
Some bike tires (including the one the OP showed) do not have any tread sipes in the center section, and thus no wear bars there either. If the tire is squared off from highway riding, it can be difficult to tell how much rubber is left in the center until suddenly the cords appear. I try to avoid that, but it has happened to me a couple times.

PhilB

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Some bike tires (including the one the OP showed) do not have any tread sipes in the center section, and thus no wear bars there either. If the tire is squared off from highway riding, it can be difficult to tell how much rubber is left in the center until suddenly the cords appear. I try to avoid that, but it has happened to me a couple times.

PhilB
The Metzler Z6's that I've run in the past were like that. There are wear bars in the tread right next to the center that worked.
YMMV

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts

PhilB
ehh i wouldn't go that far. there may not be wear bars in the center, but there is a fare amount of tread that is just gone.

plus he is into the offset wear bars

Attachments

·
Registered
2,233 Posts

PhilB
Continentals are like this. I didn't realize my rear was almost bad until I had a little bit of cord showing. Looked fine otherwise.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I actually did that on my rear a couple of months ago... Though not quite that bad. That rear got a thousand miles less than my other three did, so it surprised me. I knew they were getting close to needing replaced, but I didn't realize they were THAT close.

Good lesson to keep a closer eye on things. I was starting to get complacent.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts