Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's a quick rundown of the story. My co-worker Kimberly and her roommate just took a trip to Vietnam. While they were there they rented a scooter to get around. My co-worker, the one with the arm gashes, was the rider, and her roommate, the one with the leg rash, was the passenger.

Kimberly forgot to put the kickstand up when she started off, and got up to about 30 km/hour, which works out to about 19 mph, when she took a left turn. It sounds like it caused her to lowside, spilling both of them onto a pavement/gravel road.

Kimberly was taken to a Vietnamese hospital, where the doctor proceeded to sew her wound shut without cleaning out the dirt and rocks that were still in it. She proceeded to see an Australian doctor, who fixed it up a little better, but it still looks pretty nasty about a month later. She's looking into getting some plastic surgery.

So, no helmet, no jacket, no pants, no gloves, no boots. She managed to keep her head from hitting the ground, so things could have been much worse.

Keep in mind that this was a VERY low speed crash, so those quick runs to the store without a jacket could leave you like this.

And I know that leaving the kickstand down was a dumbass maneuver, but the severity of the injury at the low speed is the point of this post, not her riding skills (or lack thereof).

Attachments

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
Ouch

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
damm.........that arm looks N-A-S-T-Y

·
Registered
994 Posts
"Kimberly was taken to a Vietnamese hospital, where the doctor proceeded to sew her wound shut without cleaning out the dirt and rocks that were still in it." :eek:

Sounds like she could have done better without the "doctor's" help,
just pack a plastic scrub brush, a little H2o2 and a needle and some suture.

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
Nasty! But they both manage to squeeze out a smile for the camera. Nice!, but their injuries, not nice.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sounds like she could have done better without the "doctor's" help,
just pack a plastic scrub brush, a little H2o2 and a needle and some suture.[/QUOTE]

You mean like a "Rambo" kit?

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Looks like she's actually smiling? How the f*ck could you smile after a hit like that? :lol

Anyway, I never heard of a machine that didn't have a side-stand cut-off switch. When the side-stand is down and the machine goes into gear, shouldn't it stop the engine. Maybe because the scooter was an auto trans. it doesn't matter or that feature is not available. Can anybody comment on this?

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
mikem317 said:
Anyway, I never heard of a machine that didn't have a side-stand cut-off switch. When the side-stand is down and the machine goes into gear, shouldn't it stop the engine. Maybe because the scooter was an auto trans. it doesn't matter or that feature is not available. Can anybody comment on this?
99% of the scooters are auto, so no cut off switch. And most small commuter bikes sold in Asia don't have one either, even Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki small bikes lack a sidestand cutoff switch.

Guess they think that people are smarter than to forget to put the sidestand up...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Damn! I don't know why they're smiling! reminds me of when I cut my leg with a chainsaw...Everyone thought it hurt, but I didn't feel a thing. Must be what they went through.

·
Registered
163 Posts
mikem317 said:
Looks like she's actually smiling? How the f*ck could you smile after a hit like that? :lol

I can definitely say that many people disable the side-stand switch for one reason or another. That is possible and I don't know but my old ass scooter when I was a kid didn't have a sidestand switch, of course this was late 80's so things have probably changed.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
ouch, that can't be good.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Doesn't look to bad. They'll live. Though the no helmet thing is was dumb. I've seen pics of people on bikes that crashed at 5mph and it cracked their skulls open.

·
Registered
41 Posts
that's too bad, hope it works out well for her...

my dad is from nam and got bit by a wild german shepard when he was 7 in the thigh....he's got a 6 inch scar to this day from over 100 stitches without novacaine to prove it....

needless to say, his family had the dog for dinner that night....lol just kidding.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts