Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
My 650 eats 1000s
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this crash in the snow was clearly a well deserved crash but I find it interesting that the bike was moving around that fast on snow and ice. Should it not be sliding all over the place?? Those are not like offroad tires or anything.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What an idiot. What possibly would make you want to go off-road ridding on a ninja in the snow! IDIOT!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
691 Posts
OK, this crash in the snow was clearly a well deserved crash but I find it interesting that the bike was moving around that fast on snow and ice. Should it not be sliding all over the place?? Those are not like offroad tires or anything.
Those parts of the video are probably sped up. Kind of odd that someone in video editing (which I believe you do, or at least from what I remember) wouldn't know that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Seems to me that he was just having a little fun. I wouldn't personally do that with a street bike but I'm sure there are plenty of people who take little adventures offroad. Now the video was just plain annoying. Especially the voice (he's gonna crash). ugh

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I thought it was funny- he had to go to CVS for stuff- it was a video game- a challenge.

I don't see what's the big deal.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Seems to me that he was just having a little fun. I wouldn't personally do that with a street bike but I'm sure there are plenty of people who take little adventures offroad. Now the video was just plain annoying. Especially the voice (he's gonna crash). ugh
Geez, I've been through *way* worse snow/ice than that on streetbikes, and I've never lived north of San Francisco!

KeS

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Didn't any of you have a dirt bike as a kid? We rode year round in PA, you can keep a bike up and go pretty good in the snow.

·
Registered
848 Posts
a lil snow and peope are freaking? really? and here i thought the video was going to be about whiteout conditions, terrible snowstorms, and someone actually riding in it..... but this vid? really? what's so scary? it's snow on the ground for Pete's sake.... more traction than black ice. (BTDT).

i will admit the video editing suck major donkey rectum, but hey, ya gotta start somewhere.

·
Registered
300 Posts

I easily passed trucks sliding sideways trying to make it uphill on the highway. 15 miles of snow packs the tires up...

Some common street tires will stick on ice, while others will slide so bad the bike won't even stay up. If I had Dunlops, I wouldn't have made it out of the parking lot. Most Michelin tires kick ass in bad weather. Wheelies in the rain.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Considering even a minor slide can cause a lot of expensive damage, it is time for 4 wheels when the temps get below 50F.
For me it's about the road conditions. If it's icy/slushy, that's my no-go condition. If the roads are dry, I'll ride down to about 20ºF. I don't have gear that holds up below that, and probably won't get any; it doesn't get colder than that here very often.

I've ridden in light snow a few times, and it wasn't a big deal. At night it's really pretty; the flakes are lit up in your headlight and rush towards you like going into hyperspeed in Star Wars. But I don't make a habit of it.

PhilB

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Considering even a minor slide can cause a lot of expensive damage, it is time for 4 wheels when the temps get below 50F.
40 degree ice is very dangerous.

Reactions: Markk9 and PhilB
1 - 19 of 19 Posts