Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
maybe this should go in the open forum but... what is your priority when pulling over a speeding biker? if you radar a biker going 20 over in the opposite direction and when you turn around, you see a stranded car with someone standing outside it. do you go after the biker? if so, what would make you not go after the biker? just curious what is more important...

·
who......me????
293 Posts
go back and help the stranded motorist after writing the ticket :) :flipa

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
UP VFR said:
go back and help the stranded motorist after writing the ticket :) :flipa

This is what I imagine most cops would do. If the motorists were stranded, chances are they'll still be stranded 15 minutes later after the ticket has been issued.

Besides, around here, cops don't stop to help you just because your car broke down. That's your problem, not theirs.

·
who......me????
293 Posts
Gimpdiggity said:
This is what I imagine most cops would do. If the motorists were stranded, chances are they'll still be stranded 15 minutes later after the ticket has been issued.

Besides, around here, cops don't stop to help you just because your car broke down. That's your problem, not theirs.
really??? i stop all the time if there is a car on the side of the road...did it last night, lady blew a radiator hose. they had a cell and call for a tow already so i couldn't help them anyway :dunno

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
UP VFR said:
really??? i stop all the time if there is a car on the side of the road...did it last night, lady blew a radiator hose. they had a cell and call for a tow already so i couldn't help them anyway :dunno

Yah, they NEVER stop around here. I remember one time when I had just turned 16, I was driving and my car's oil light came on. I had never had that happen before, so we just pulled over in a fairly obscure, yet fairly not nice, part of town. We had the hood up, and were checking the oil and everything...my friend had some cash so I had him walk to the gas station that was down the road about a mile to get a couple quarts of oil so that we could try to get home.

While he was gone, I counted at least 6 cop cars just drive right by me. I'm sitting there on the trunk of my car, while the car has it's hood popped, and not one of them even bothered to stop and ask me if I needed a tow truck or anything.

·
Registered
981 Posts
cops never stop around here. they stopped for my mom once, but not the other times. if im not in a hurry to be somewhere, i try to stop and help people that are stranded on the freeway. cuz ive had my bike die and id be stuck in the median of a 5-lane (5 lanes both ways) highway with nothing to do but wait till some1 i knew came home and answered their phones, or pick apart my bike right then and there.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sounds like you mom needs a new car dude.... :leghump
Anyway, I would stop for motorist (yes I'm a cop).........
besides there are so few sportbikes are here anyway, I probably knew who the biker was..... :flipa

·
Registered
24 Posts
Personally, I would cite the speeder and ask if another officer is in the area to assist the motorist. If not, I would go back to assist. I've changed my share of tires, given rides to gas stations, and pushed cars from the roadway until a tow truck arrives. I've assisted motorists when I'm not on duty as well. It's just the decent thing to do.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I've seen cops helping change tires before. Most of the cops I know would help the stranded motorist as they're riders too and don't mess with bikers unless they're making asses out of themselves in public where they don't have a choice but to stop them.

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gimpdiggity said:
to serve and protect.... way to go cops :p haha cops by me always stop, thats why i was wondering if there was some procedure to this

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
Most cops around here will stop out in the country. Usually they do it for safety, stopping behind the car and waiting with their lights on til a tow comes or it gets fixed. On the interstate you can almost count on it. Don't count on trooper even giving you a jump or anything though. Had a cop tell straight out one time that he don't open his hood for anyone.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Cops can't jump start because it could cut the power to their radio and cause it to have to be reprogrammer, at least according to a cop I asked once.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
wct097 said:
Cops can't jump start because it could cut the power to their radio and cause it to have to be reprogrammer, at least according to a cop I asked once.
This is true with my patrol car. I'll do it anyway, in an emergency. Helping motorists is part of the job.
One of the better parts.

Before it starts, please keep the FTP comments to yourselves. The cops on here are SportBikers, too! :headbang

·
Registered
290 Posts
Let's see..... Speeding tickets generate revenue, helping stranded motorists results in dirty fingernails and possible lawsuits due to damaged vehicles.... Hmm.... That's how it goes in South FL.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
jk750 said:
This is true with my patrol car. I'll do it anyway, in an emergency. Helping motorists is part of the job.
One of the better parts.

Before it starts, please keep the FTP comments to yourselves. The cops on here are SportBikers, too! :headbang

not to be an asshole, but how fast have you had your gixxer on public highways officer?

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
the great ESKIMO said:
not to be an asshole, but how fast have you had your gixxer on public highways officer?
I don't take that question as you being an asshole at all!
I've had my bike, and my cage up well above the posted speed limits many times!
Always in very clear, open and safe situations. I'm no hypocrite. I wouldn't pull anyone for doing
what I myself would do.
It's the INTENT of the law that takes priority, and not the letter of the law.
Public highways were engineered back in the day to safely carry traffic at speeds in the 70+mph range.
That's with the crappy suspension and brake systems on vehicles from the '50s and 60's.
I never play stupid by driving in and out of traffic or driving aggressively.
Speed doesn't kill. It's the sudden stop upon impact that'll get ya!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts