Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A solid horror movie. Actually a remake of a 60's movie that had the 3D glasses.
This time, the glasses were on the actors to be able to see the ghosts. Which was a nice way to incorporate that bit from the original film.

The premise: Tony Shaloub (Monk on TV) is suckered into a glass house that his evil uncle used to imprison ghosts of the most violent variety. A real twist on the old haunted mansion theme- this house you could about see through.
Evil uncle Cirus captures ghosts to power a machine that was designed by the devil. These ghosts form a 'black zodiak' and are pretty unique.
Tony and annoying family members (the kid was just terrible) are nearly killed by escaped ghosts and eventually, with the help of a psychic matthew Lilard, overcome and survive while evil uncle Cirus gets what's coming.

The real cool part is the ghosts themselves. The major flaw in the movie is that none of these ghosts are explained. All have a distinct storyline, but you only see that in a 'special features' bit on the DVD. So for all the uniqueness of them, during the film you just dont get their stories.
Although the storyline is far fetched even by horror movie standards, the plot is perfectly explained down to the glass house and cryptic writing. Other than the ghost's stories, you at least get told what all this is about.

Highlights: the slimy lawyer getting cut in two by glass doors and slowly- SLOWLY the front half sliding down ahead of the back half. Like an anatomy lesson. "So the lawyer split?"
Also, the ghost you see the most of is a naked (although very slashed up and dead) chick with big knockers. Hey, what's a little rigor mortis when she's packing double D's?!

If not for the house and cool special effects, it'd be a run of the mill ghost movie. But overall, I think it stands up a little better.
A renter- but worth the couple bucks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
this was the first horror movie that actually scare me. Seriously. Then i got to see the re-release of Exorcist.

·
POP
490 Posts
I've seen it and many others and I'd have to say it's pretty good but the only horror film that scared the bejesus out of me was when they re-released The Exorcist on the big screen a couple of years ago. I don't know why but I wasn't right for at least a week after watching that.

·
Pre-register sex offender
1,091 Posts
i cant wait till the new exorcist movie comes out...

i thought 13 ghosts was decent... the first half i think was best, then it just became a gore-fest

·
Registered
247 Posts
I really liked the movie but it suffered from the same flaw that so many movies suffer these days. A very weak ending. Too often it seems that all the creative effort goes into the first half to 3/4s of a movie and then everyone realizes "Oh crap! We have to wrap this thing up!"

But still a movie worth watching.

·
Believe It or Not........
5,339 Posts
It was a comedy to me.

I did like the part when Matthew Lillard's character tells him:
"What did I say, that there was a petting zoo downstairs?!?!? NNNOOO!!!!!! There are ghosts downstairs!!!!!!!

That cracks me up every time I see that part!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Watch the movie again. In the scene where the house is locking the doors and windows to trap the family inside, you can see some hands at the tops of the main doors closing them. At that point my friend and I busted out laughing. Some others in the theater saw it too. Thats when the movie became funny for us.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have the DVD, watch the Theatrical Trailer in the special features.

In the commercial, they fuzzed out the blood on matthew lilard's head for the scene they used. It's clearly fuzzed out, although I don't remember seeing it on TV. In the film he's all bloody in that scene.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thought the movie was really cheesy, seem almost like a teen movie. Two thumbs down.

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
I thought it was good. It didin't scare me, but the ghost were cool and Matthew Lilard had me laughing. Anybody else find the naked chick with the knife attracting in some wierd, twisted way.....or was that just me? :D

I have funny memories about that movie. First time i saw it i was at my girls dorm. We were drinkin and she was throwin up in the bathroom.....i was bored so i started playing on one of the computers. There were a few movies downloaded and this was one so i watched it all drunk. Before i knew it the movie was over and my girl was passed out in the bathroom. I moved her back in her room and proceeded to fall asleep. :lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts